LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Internet Access

Well, I have been having some problems, again, with Sprint and my internet connection. It starts out fine and later acts as though it is locked up. When it happened on the road, I assumed that it was due to too much internet traffic or a poor signal. The last few days just make up my mind to make a change. I took my air card to Sprint and spoke with their tech people. I was told that they no longer support my particular air card. For me to have better service I would need to upgrade with a new card for $250 or sign a 2 year contract and pay $70. They no longer have unlimited, so my rate would likely also change. It might go down from $60 to $50, but I would have a limit on the amount of bandwidth I could use without paying more. I spoke to a few people and was told that T-Mobile might be good to check out again. They had a router than I can take with me on the road for $79. Instead of just my laptop, I can connect up to 5 devices to the router. It comes with 5GB of data. I can then pay $30/month for unlimited data. The first 2 1/2 GB is at 4G, then the speed will be reduced to 3G for anything more. After a bit of a challenge setting it up, it seems to be working just fine. And, instead of 3G, I now have 4G with T-Mobile. For $79 I will give it a try. So far I have a strong signal.

I am anxious to find out how well it will do on the road. One former truck driver with whom I spoke used T-Mobile phones and he said he had good service all over the country unless he got out in the boonies. We shall see. I am curious as to whether anyone has been using T-Mobile or their routers?
Old 05-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Senior Board Member

I was looking into switching to T-Mobile after my contract expires with Verizon next month. They don't have coverage in my home area, so they won't even sign me up.

As for the router, I'm guessing it's a Wi-Fi only router? If so, I've had mine from Verizon for 1 month shy of 2 years now and LOVE it. I have my tablet and laptop running through it. Same speeds as I had on a usb card or the phone itself. Don't set it on the dash, thoough. It'll overheat and shut down. I keep mine in the sleeper now.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have been trying it out for the last couple of days. I like the speed. I have a good signal at home. I am looking forward to trying it on the road. That will be the real test. The price is certainly right. I canceled my Spring today. They would only cancel it on June 4 instead of May 14. This is just one more reason why I am glad that I no longer do business with Sprint. My wife and I both switched from Sprint for our cell phones. This is the last thing that is with them. T-Mobile is the only carrier that is still unlimited data. Even Sprint no longer offers unlimited data. I just canceled an unlimited plan, but would not be able to get unlimited should I decide to go back to them. I won't because of the way they have done the last two times that I have canceled. But, I do like the idea of prepaid where I can cut my bill in half.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:21 AM
Board Regular

I can't recommend T-Mobile to anyone. Worst company I ever had.

I had a Verizon and T-Mobile hotspot both for a couple years at the same time. 90% of the time, I had signals with h Verizon when T-Mobile was dead. Even in major metro areas like Indy and chicago
Old 05-15-2014, 02:26 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I guess I will find out in the next few days.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:40 AM
Senior Board Member

i've had verizon for the past few years. there are very few places that i've not had service. i love it. however, it says i have LTE.. never once hit it or 4g for that. i can add up to 5 devices if i wanted to. i've never once went over my 5gb limit. being its warm out (and because its a new toy) i'm going to hook the GPS up to the wifi to see the weather.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:43 AM
Board Regular

I just drove out to Seattle from Minnesota.

Last time I had Verizon and went out there on I90, i lost service in the mountains around 4th of July and Lookout passes. With T-Mobile, it was even worse. Most, if not all of Montana was a waste of time trying to talk on the phone.

This month when I went to Seattle, I had service the entire trip. I expected a couple small spots and they were right where I expected them. Deep in the mountains.

But otherwise, Verizon is SO much better now.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:10 PM
Board Icon

I'm on Verizon and love it. I have trouble in WV but so does all the others....... I went to Nashville few years ago with the air card and had 4G. Now around home I have 4G also, to me its not really a big deal whether its 4G or not. If it gets the job done I'm happy. I ended up getting the mifi device, well, jetpack for $50(if my rebate ever comes in the mail!). Upped my usage to 10GB since my wife works from home now and then, awaiting my first bill without all the upgrade fees and such on it but not expecting it to be over $100 a month. Prolly be more like $75.

If you noticed, the Verizon coverage map is the exact same as At&t. Seems one or the other owns the tower, whichever one doesn't own it is renting space on it. BTW I have At&t for phone, not too bad other than their prices. I have been sitting on my current plan for 6 years by just upgrading phones and its a good thing, my plan doesn't exist anymore. I'd actually be paying more for less now. And I don't want to jump to Verizon because their service and prices are the same.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I made a couple of short runs, but have mostly been staying close to home since I purchased the T-Mobile wifi. So far, so good. I am anxious to see how it performs once I get into some more rural areas. Hopefully, it will work well enough to make the switch worthwhile.