LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2013, 03:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 2014

Well, Christmas has passed and it is only a few days until the new year. With the new year will come a number of changes, including higher taxes. We may see the hos going back to the way they were prior to the last changes. The EOBR issue is still around and in litigation, so things are still not settled. Larger carriers seem to be willing to move forward with them. It should be an interesting year. I hope we will have a very good year in the trucking industry. The month of December saw more freight with higher rates than usual, for this time of year. At least that is what I saw in my area. Rates were not great, for the most part, but were higher than I would have expected for this time. I no longer make New Year Resolutions, but expect to operate much as I have this year. I have been off since about November 27.

I had some personal business to take care of during part of the month. The beginning of the month rates were softer in my area than expected, so it was just as well to stay home. My truck broke down and by the time I could get parts in and get it repaired, I had lost about a week. This time of year can be challenging due to so many holidays being so close together.

Politicians are still pushing global warming. I suppose they choose to ignore the record low temperatures and record snow storms. The EPA has closed one of the oldest lead bullet manufacturing companies in the nation. They want to outlaw them and force people to buy "green" bullets. According to an article that I read, it will mean more competition for copper and higher costs for wiring and bullets. The extremists can't get rid of guns, so they want to force the cost of ammunition so high that people can no longer afford to buy it. They think that guns are useless without ammo. I guess more people will be loading their own in the coming year.

Obamacare will surprise a lot of people in the coming year. It brings a number of taxes and much higher insurance costs. Some have reported hikes of 400%. Enrollment has been disappointing, to say the least. At least to the Democrats and Obama. Millions are expected to lose their insurance and companies cancel policies which are not compliant with the new law. Higher costs of insurance could directly affect trucking. Not only will drivers and owner operators be subject to higher rates, but some may stop furnishing company insurance which would force drivers into state or federal exchanges. Shippers and most every business in the country will be directly affected. Everyone will have their operating costs raised. That could result in a slower economy and fewer shipments.

I plan on staying in touch with my elected representatives and encourage other owners and drivers to do the same. As the saying goes, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." Driver typically complain a lot, but only a small number of us actually take action. Many don't even take the time to vote. I would like to challenge each of you to become more engaged in the political process in the coming year. It is our future. It is worth the effort.

These are a few of my thoughts. I would love to hear your thoughts. I wish all of you good health and prosperity in the coming year.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is just hours from leaving behind 2013 and the start of a new year, 2014. I hope everyone made it home who wishes to be home. It is a time to reflect on what we did during the last year and to make resolutions for the new year. I am out of town and don't know that I will make it home in time to welcome in the new year, but there will be those on the road who will be drinking and having a good time. Do be careful. I wish everyone a very safe holiday and a prosperous new year. I am trying to get started on my income taxes and to get my IFTA filings in before the deadline in January. I wasn't running much during the fourth quarter, so it should not be that long of a process. I keep most records on my computer. I think I still have a little to complete to get my filings ready. I am very glad that I have the Trucknpro software. It really does save time when I need to complete my quarterly's. I got a little behind on the last quarter, but it should not take long to get everything ready for filing.

With the uncertainty in our tax code, it makes it difficult for most of us to do much tax planning. I believe that there are 55 taxes that are supposed to come back in January. I believe that is business and personal. I won't be participating in obamacare, so we shall see how that turns out this year. Apparently. most Americans won't be participating. It seems that everyone is trying to get an exemption. I don't know how all this will affect the trucking industry. I think smaller carriers and owner operators may be hit harder than company drivers. I have not spoken to any drivers about it recently. I am not sure any of us will know how we will be affected until sometime after the first of the year.

If you plan on celebrating the new year, I encourage you all to not over do. I expect police to be out in force. They usually are during holidays. Once we get past this new year, business should begin to get back to normal. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Don't forget you have to certify your med card with your state DMV in 2014.