User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 100+ Year Company was sold

I haven't posted much lately, but I've been back at W.S. Thomas Transfer in Fairmont, WV since last August. Just found out that our company has been sold. We won't know anything about the plans until Saturday (6/22/13). There's been a lot of speculation as to who did the purchase, but drivers have said they've seen vehicles with Indiana tags running around the yard for the past couple of weeks.

While they drive me insane at times by not paying attention to our hours of service, I absolutely hate to see a company that's been around since 1899 and literally started with 2 horses and a wagon go under. They've been in Fairmont since 1907. Looking at the old photo's, it amazes me at the equipment they've had. Everything from Model T Ford's through our 2013 Volvo's. The original founder of the company came to the Fairmont area from Pennsylvania in 1907 during the Monongah, WV coal mine explosion (360+ people killed). He hauled bodies from the mine entrance to the "morgue" in town, then the caskets to the graveyard they had to build. There's a few photo's of his wagon loaded with caskets.

I won't post anything as far as who I *think* is doing the buyout until after our meeting. But, I will say that I researched them a little last night and I think they'll be good for the employees. I was talking with one of local drivers last night. He's really worried because of him working local. I'm sure the OTR guys will be fine. The shop is worried because no one knows whether they'll keep Fairmont as a terminal or not. They have 4 other terminals in WV, spread through the state, and, to me, seems like keeping Fairmont is a no-brainer. Anyway, time will tell on that. After talking to pretty much every driver we have over the years, I can say that a lot of them will have a hard time adjusting to a larger company attitude and to driving by the books. I'm estimating 25-50% of our drivers will walk on Saturday.

I asked my dispatch yesterday if he knew what was going on, but, of course, he couldn't say anything other than, yes, we're working Monday (I'm picking up my load today that delivers Monday). I'll post more once I find out the full details.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Senior Board Member

[h=5]Well, I survived the meeting. But, I honestly don't know what to think yet. The company that bought us is Online Transport, based in Greenfield, IN (just outside of Indianapolis). A lot of things are changing, while some are staying the same. The company name is staying (we're basically a division of Online Transport), we're keeping the same dedicated customers we already have. But, every driver's seniority is gone. I'm not too worried about that, since I've only been back for 10 months, but the drivers that have been there for 20+ years will now have to wait until July 1, 2014 to have a week's vacation, instead of the 5 weeks they're already getting.

The equipment is basically the same, as well. Their average truck is a 2007 (which is what I drive now). They do plan on replacing some of our trailers and also want to expand the fleet in Fairmont ASAP. Instead of being paid on a percentage basis, we'll now be paid mileage (loaded and empty the same). Not sure about raises, but will ask them about that asap. Our vacation is paid at the rate of $140 per day instead of the "average" pay we currently have. They have to replace the computer system in the office as well as replace our Qualcomm's with a Rand-McNally system (I've never heard of that system). Logs are still paper.

We will have the option of being able to do longer runs, if we want. They have dedicated freight going to and from the Dallas area. So, that's a plus since it'll get me out of the northeast once in awhile. The company also lets us get the trucks washed once per month at a Blue Beacon (my current truck has been washed once since last August).

I'm going to try it out there to see how it works. If I see that it's not going to be a fit for me, I'll go elsewhere. I've done it before.[/h]
No one walked today, but I'd say 50% are ready to, including the owner operators.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:27 AM
Rookie

Thats what happens when a company get bought out. Could be worst and they let everyone go, and start over again or close the doors all together. Anyway, hope it works out for all of you, and good luck ing the future.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, only have to unload this load tomorrow morning, then pick up my final load with W.S. Thomas Transfer, Inc, which delivers on Friday. Monday, I start working for W.S. Thomas Transfer, LLC. It should be interesting, to say the least.

As of today at noon, we've had one O/O pull his lease, a 2nd O/O is done on Friday, O/O's 3 & 4 are really up in the air over it. One mechanic is done on Saturday. 3 company drivers are done on Friday. They don't even take over the company until Monday.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Rookie

It is sad to know this story, but it happens and I am sure the owners may have done this for good only. You need to see if you can adjust there or not, if not, then you should not force yourself into it. I am sure you can get many better companies. Best of luck.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Board Icon

Is Celadon still an interest for you?

Either things were bad financially for WS or the money was just too good to pass up for this to happen. Maybe the owners don't have anyone to pass it on to and so they simply wanted out and got their asking price. Hope it works out for you in the end.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Senior Board Member

If Celadon hadn't done away with their 30,000 mile vacation package, I would've already went back to them.

The owner of the company has been trying to sell out for about 5 years now. He's just ready to retire and enjoy life. I can't blame him. He bought the company from his father in 1960, who had bought it from the original owner.

I'm going to give it a shot to see how it goes. Who knows - it might be great.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, I am only seeing things get worse now. Last week, I left the house on Sunday morning and got home Friday night (11pm). I was dispatched 1,100 miles for the week. My office screwed me over royally for the 4th. I delivered a load on the 3rd and they played around too long and didn't get me a load, so I had to sit over the 4th in Georgetown, KY. The sad part is that if they had called the parent company, they had freight. In fact, they had to broker it out to other companies. But, by the time I was told to call them, there was nothing left.

I've been offered a job at J & R Schugel (either reefer or dry van divisions) and Smith Transport is running my background info now. I'll hear back from them tomorrow. Both companies want me to start on Monday, the 15th. I'm leaning more toward Smith because they can get me on their weekly hometime.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Well, I am only seeing things get worse now. Last week, I left the house on Sunday morning and got home Friday night (11pm). I was dispatched 1,100 miles for the week. My office screwed me over royally for the 4th. I delivered a load on the 3rd and they played around too long and didn't get me a load, so I had to sit over the 4th in Georgetown, KY. The sad part is that if they had called the parent company, they had freight. In fact, they had to broker it out to other companies. But, by the time I was told to call them, there was nothing left.

I've been offered a job at J & R Schugel (either reefer or dry van divisions) and Smith Transport is running my background info now. I'll hear back from them tomorrow. Both companies want me to start on Monday, the 15th. I'm leaning more toward Smith because they can get me on their weekly hometime.
Go with Smith

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 07-10-2013, 12:52 AM
Senior Board Member