User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Tie down Guide

Does anyone happen to know of a website that shows what is legal and what is not? I ask only because my company has several idiot drivers who want to claim ignorance as to the proper ways even though we all know that they know better. Trying to find something quicker than going outside and strapping different loads both proper and improper and then taking pics to print out which would take all day.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:59 AM
Board Icon

If they claim ignorance.... FIRE them for being ignorant. Problem solved.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

FMCSA load securement is based upon the North American Cargo Securement Standard.
Have them study this > http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/c...ment-16-04.pdf

Old 05-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Board Icon

That's what I've been saying for some time Hobo! They can't understand why a loader is like a charging rhino, they set the parking brake and chained it down then started complaining the parking brake wasn't working. I took one look at it and said it wasn't the parking brakes fault, they have it chained so it won't roll backwards but the front chain is pulling in the same direction as the rear chain, forward. So in essence it can move about 3 feet forward then 3 feet backwards. They then claimed that's how they always chained it down.

Thanks Hog, unfortunately it didn't give much insight on equipment/vehicles or at least more insight than they already know. I was hoping for something that showed both right and wrong securement. Prolly just have to spend a day taking pics with different securement. Thanks for the site/PDF though, I'll keep it saved as a favorite.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You should be able to pick up a securement book at most truck stops. I have not looked at one of them in some time, but I think they sell for about $5. If you pull a flat or step deck, common sense will help more than anything, once you have the basics down. The fmcsa will change things around from time to time. One of the most important things to remember is the working load limit of your chains or straps. Another is the spacing between straps or chains for certain loads. There are times when you need more straps or chains to secure a load than the regs state. If you have questions about a certain type of load and have the time, let us know and those of us who have been doing this for a while will try to help.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
That's what I've been saying for some time Hobo! They can't understand why a loader is like a charging rhino, they set the parking brake and chained it down then started complaining the parking brake wasn't working. I took one look at it and said it wasn't the parking brakes fault, they have it chained so it won't roll backwards but the front chain is pulling in the same direction as the rear chain, forward. So in essence it can move about 3 feet forward then 3 feet backwards. They then claimed that's how they always chained it down.
When chaining coils or vehicles you should make sure that your chains are pulling in opposite directions to prevent movement. Some equipment may require crossing the chains to properly secure the load. If you pull something with an arm, like a backhoe or blade, make sure you put a chain or strap across it. If something can move it isn't properly chained or strapped.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Board Icon

Oh yeah Gman, spot on. Of everything I pull I know exactly what it needs and where it needs it. What's funny is the backhoe I pull, I have a pin that can drop in and stop the movement of the boom yet DOT says I still have to throw a strap or chain across it. Hey if that's what they want, that's what they get! It's my co-workers that are the issue here. We have others that do it properly, pull in opposite directions, yet they leave either the front chain or the rear chain loose.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Oh yeah Gman, spot on. Of everything I pull I know exactly what it needs and where it needs it. What's funny is the backhoe I pull, I have a pin that can drop in and stop the movement of the boom yet DOT says I still have to throw a strap or chain across it. Hey if that's what they want, that's what they get! It's my co-workers that are the issue here. We have others that do it properly, pull in opposite directions, yet they leave either the front chain or the rear chain loose.
A certain saying comes to mind........

"You can't fix stewpid".............
Old 05-20-2013, 02:34 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
They will eventually be checked by the DOT and they can explain things to them. Some of the rules don't always make sense, but they are the rules and if we want to continue in this business, we will need to follow "their" rules.