User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Roll over

I rolled a tanker back in 07 I am tryin to get back behind the wheel but can't seem to find a company that will give me a 2nd chance. I wasn't charged in the roll over but it doesn't sit we'll. I also have a 20 mph over from over 3 years ago in my personal vehicle. I don't mind starting at the bottom once again but I need to find someone that is willing to take that chance.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big View Post
I rolled a tanker back in 07 I am tryin to get back behind the wheel but can't seem to find a company that will give me a 2nd chance. I wasn't charged in the roll over but it doesn't sit we'll. I also have a 20 mph over from over 3 years ago in my personal vehicle. I don't mind starting at the bottom once again but I need to find someone that is willing to take that chance.
Ummm, I think the 20mph over is the real issue. That doesn't sit well with a lot of companies. You have your location as Pittsburgh, did you try some of the water and sand haulers running to the wells around here?

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Rookie

No I havent tried those yet..I figured the bigger companies may be easier to get into but I am 2nd guessing that one now.. The 20 over was stupid but it was the 1st week at a new job and I couldnt afford to lose it. I wanted to fight the ticket but didnt have the upfront cost so now I have to live with it..
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

It's worth a shot to give them a try. What area in Pittsburgh you from? Might know some that are close.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 01-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big View Post
No I havent tried those yet..I figured the bigger companies may be easier to get into but I am 2nd guessing that one now.. The 20 over was stupid but it was the 1st week at a new job and I couldnt afford to lose it. I wanted to fight the ticket but didnt have the upfront cost so now I have to live with it..
Yes, the 20 over was stupid... even in your POV. But, the effects of NOT getting a lawyer and trying to get it reduced to 14 over (or less) will/has been devastating. Most lawyers will take payments on time.... or, like Romney said.... borrow the money from your parents.

But, I am more curious about how/why you rolled a tanker? I don't know all the ins and outs.... but, it seems that a rollover of ANY rig (especially a tanker) is more of a consideration to a company than even a single "major violation" on your MVR. [It takes TWO of them to even get a 2 month suspension of a CDL.]

I've only ever known ONE driver with a rollover on his record (with Swift,) and I didn't buy HIS "excuse." What is yours?

I'm not a "ballbuster" type here, dude. I don't have any problem with you getting back behind the wheel. But, I'd like to know how you WENT from being a professional driver to an idiot who didn't care about protecting what was LEFT of your CDL for future use.

As for advice... all I can say is look for a Mom n Pop, privately owned and insured, small carrier. I'm talking almost "shady" carriers with some kind of OTR job. You know your area better than I do. As a "play" on the common phrase... Get Out And Look! Don't even TRY a mega-carrier.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Rookie

I'm actually not sure what exactly happened.. During the accident I was knocked out and to this day I have no memory of the wreck. I remember seconds before it then waking up in an ambulance on the way to the er.. There are four separate compartments inside the tanker I was pulling. The first three were partially loaded but the last one was full.. The only explanation I can come up with is I hit the medium which was a hump in the road type as I rounded the 90 degree bend and it sent the trailer up.i was never charged in this accident as far as any tickets or anything else. I don't believe it was speed because before this bend there was a bridge and before crossing the bridge there is a 90 degree turn after a 3 mile straight away. So if it was speed I should've or would've flipped going around the 1st bend not the 2nd..the truck and trailer is still on the road today so it was minimal damage.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Rookie

I live right outside Pittsburgh in Carnegie..

Last edited by Big; 01-23-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Try up at the rail yard on Mansfield. Modern and another company have sand trucks running out of there. Smith has tankers running water out on 50 in Cecil. They are running out of Weavertown's yard. Weavertown is looking for drivers also. System has a yard on 70, exit 27. They are looking for drivers. Schnieder was looking for sand haulers out of Coriopolis. Right off 79. All but Modern is home daily.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Rookie

I'm not sure either, but I know that even if you have a speeding ticket greater than 15mph companies won't touch you for at least 3 years. That's including the big ones. If it's been more than 3 years I know of more than a few companies that hire on. I think it might have to do with the fact you've been off the road for 5-6 years and I'm thinking that is the bigger problem. I have been off the road now for 5 years and I've been told by every company I need to take a refresher course. Have you checked into CRST, Central Refrigerated, Schneider, Watkins Shepard (If you have a Class A CDL they have a 10 day refresher and then send you out on your own, no trainer).?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Its the rollover.... the rollover will not simply go away. Most companies will pass on people who have had rollovers .