User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Werner, Schneider, Western Express, or Arnold

I want to run 6 out, Northeast or East Coast. With 8 months regional OTR experience, which of these would be a good pick?
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 AM
Senior Board Member

If you want regional OTR, Werner's out. Our regional guys do two weeks out, two days home. Werner does have Family Dollar in Front Royal, VA and Dollar General in South Boston, VA (where I'm based) that are six out, one home. You can make money on those, but you will work your butt off in the trailer to do it.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 PM

I have had western express drivers call me for a job and every one of themselves chief complaint is low pay and trying to get paid. I have never delt with any of these companies I don't know first hand I can only say what I have heard from drivers looking for a job. I had one driver that didnt qualify to drive for us that went to Schneider to get more experience and he says its ok. With your hometime wants I would say I would look at flatbed until I got more experience. I don't know where you live but I was in the army with a guy that drives for TMC and he loves it there he has been there for 3 years. He gets home almost every weekend.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPIDarkAngel View Post
If you want regional OTR, Werner's out. Our regional guys do two weeks out, two days home. Werner does have Family Dollar in Front Royal, VA and Dollar General in South Boston, VA (where I'm based) that are six out, one home. You can make money on those, but you will work your butt off in the trailer to do it.
You better be able to back up too! I see those guys in some awful backing perdiciments at some of the Dollar stores around here. Tiny and tight places to try to get into. Especially if their are cars in the parking lot.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Board Icon

Don't know why you want to run 6 (days?) and only one at home. Don't know why you want to drive in the Northeast (although LOWER East coast is O.K.)

I don't know much about these companies from any "personal" experience... but, from what I've seen over the years...

Stay away from Werner!

Don't know anything about Arnold. Do they run alot of Northeast/East? Haven't heard much BAD about them.

Western Express is an option, but... something tells me not the BEST one.

Schneider has the ugliest trucks and trailers in the business! But... from what I've heard lately... they have good (enough) equipment, and a pretty good "regional" division. They make promises about "getting by" the home on regional runs... and I haven't heard otherwise.

None of them pay much as far as I've heard.

WHY are you going from carhauling to box freight? And, how do you feel about "Reefers?"

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertt View Post
You better be able to back up too! I see those guys in some awful backing perdiciments at some of the Dollar stores around here. Tiny and tight places to try to get into. Especially if their are cars in the parking lot.
Although I believe EVERY trucker should be good at BACKING... I wouldn't TAKE a job (if I had a choice) that required "delivering" to ANY kind of store... especially the "lower class" ones!

Look for jobs/carriers that deliver to Distribution Centers, or warehouses, etc. You shouldn't have to ever "touch" the load, and they are designed for many trucks and many docks. [There are a few produce sheds in Salinas, CA that would test the BEST of us... but, that comes with the job.]
Old 01-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Rookie

The last car hauling job I had didn't work out. Too many issues with the equipment, an 05 379 with 800k on the C15. Unfortunately, the reputable car haulers require 2 years OTR. Just need a little more drive time. As far as 6 days home, I have a wife and 5 small children ranging from 1 yr to 6 years old. The weekly appearance is important to me. Home daily would've work because I need more than 500 a week gross.

Last edited by Carhauler83; 01-13-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carhauler83 View Post
The last car hauling job I had didn't work out. Too many issues with the equipment, an 05 379 with 800k on the C15. Unfortunately, the reputable car haulers require 2 years OTR. Just need a little more drive time. As far as 6 days home, I have a wife and 5 small children ranging from 1 yr to 6 years old. The weekly appearance is important to me. Home daily would've work because I need more than 500 a week gross.
Okay, thanks for the clarification. I took your username to mean you were already a car hauler, and it seems you are... to some extent. I don't know much about them, but it seems you need more OTR experience to get on with a good one.

Wow... so many children in such a short time? Ever hear of "family planning?" No matter.... it was YOUR choice.

I don't blame (in fact, RESPECT) you for wanting to be HOME with the family as much as you can. But... that is a hard deal in the trucking business. I think I was right to suggest Schneider to you. You should check them out. I hear some of them get home during the week (and weekends) with "dedicated" regional runs. It is all considered OTR experience, and the pay should beat "local jobs" at $10-15 an hour.

But... have you ever considered TEAM driving? I know... everyone hates it. It's not the real "trucker" lifestyle! But... it's a trucking JOB that gets you home nearly every weekend for about 2 days, and pays good!

I'm not talking about a 3 week "team" job like CRST! I'm talking a smaller company (or even a major) that has a contract to haul SOMETHING from your area to the West Coast, and then hauls produce back to the Grocery warehouses in YOUR area! The people north of you are addicted to EATING!

YOU are guaranteed about 5,000 miles or more in 5 (or 6) days... they haven't moved the West coast any closer to Maryland in MY lifetime!

You go out there and come back! You get 5,000 miles at about 15 to 19 cents for ALL miles driven by your TEAM. NO sitting around hoping for a long load and getting a short one! Produce is perishable, so you come straight back from the west coast to your home in about 2 days! The company HAS a contract that gets you out there where the produce IS... so, no dilly dallying around with 300 mile days!

That's equivalent to 30 to 38 cpm for a solo, and you are nearly guaranteed 2500 miles a week as your share of a 5000 mile run.... with HOMETIME every weekend!

Maybe, it's not your choice for a career... but, it can be a good stepping stone to what you DO want. And you see your kids grow up in the process.

Obviously, you are somewhat new at this (or you'd already have the OTR experience.) ALL of these team miles are credited towards your future "job opportunities." Try selling "local" miles to a prospective employer!

Of the four choices you mentioned, I said I would look into Schneider. You might find just what you need and want. But, if not.... consider what I just said about team driving for a year or so.

The KEY to ultimate success, is the ability to Delay "gratification." You can go broke sitting around a truckstop in your "Pete" waiting for a load for a few hundred miles a day... or you can be running like crazy and making money AND "OTR miles qualifications."

I've been driving about 8 years. I've NEVER missed a weekend (or restart) at home... and I've NEVER made less than 5-9 hundred takehome. But, I hear stories all the time of those "lifestyle" solo truckers who might take home 300/wk if they're lucky.

Some day, I might want to run solo for awhile... maybe even be out weeks at a time. But... thanks to TEAM driving, my bills will all be paid, I'll be out of debt, and it will be MY choice.

Good luck. Hope you get that carhauler job you're looking for.

Don't know much about babies. But, I believe the best thing you can do for them is to make some serious money NOW.... and then, plan your life when you won't be under the crushing pressure of DEBT... and can actually provide for them.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Rookie
Default Arnold it is

I did check into teams, but with little luck for a week out. After evaluating pay, home time, and CSA scores, Arnold seems to be the best. Did manage to get Southeast regional. At least no snow. Thanks for your help. Headed to Jacksonville now. FYI, Greyhound now has WiFi