User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 02:15 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I had a wonderful couple of days through the storm. Started out with me parked just south of Summersville, WV on US-19 (Mt. Nebo to be exact). My load delivered in Big Island, VA. When I left out of the truckstop, the snow was already flying. Once I got to Princeton, WV on the WV turnpike and onto US-460, I was out of the snow. Delivered in Big Island and picked up in Roanoke, VA coming back to Clarksburg, WV. The weather was getting worse the further north I drove. I barely made it back to the same truckstop in Mt Nebo (well, I was actually 30 mins over on my 14 by the time I got in there). When I pulled in, you could barely tell where the road even was. I'm glad I had stopped and grabbed some food because less than 5 minutes after I pulled into the truckstop, the power went out.

Woke up this morning to find about 15" of snow on the ground. US-19 north (where I was heading) was shut down due to trucks spinning out on the hill just south of Summersville. Finally, around 9am, I decided to do it. I made if less than 5 miles and came to a standstill from more trucks hung up. It took awhile, but they got the trucks pulled up the hill and we got moving again. From where I spent the night, across US-19 to I-79, then 10 miles north to Flatwoods is 43 miles. That 43 miles took 3 hours to drive. I finally made it to Clarksburg for my delivery around 1pm. I was scheduled to unload @ 8am, but they put me right in the dock.

After I emptied out, I had to go to Fairmont and grab a preloaded trailer going to Winchester, VA. I-68 had just reopened an hour or so before. I've got to say, for the amount of snow across there, it was amazingly clean, even in WV. I had no problem doing 40-45mph from Morgantown until I got into Cumberland. Once I hit Cumberland, it changed to rain with no snow on the ground.

Ughhh - I'm exhausted...
Old 10-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
How about NYC, city blocks destroyed by a blaze that firefighters were trying to battle with chest deep water.
Also... as I heard it... MANY of those firefighters lived in those homes! That neighborhood was originally "built" (settled?) by firefighters. One of the video shots, shows an iron statue of a fireman holding a hose in front of a house/block that was burned to the ground. So ironic... and so very sad!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Board Icon

Man, if that is true Hobo, terrible. Those NYC fireman just can't catch a break it seems.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Man, if that is true Hobo, terrible. Those NYC fireman just can't catch a break it seems.
its true. my neighbor is a nyc firefighter.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:19 AM
Board Icon

Of course it's true. I get my news/facts from MSNBC.

Okay, I'm having trouble finding proof of what I heard... but, I finally found proof of what I SAW!

you should watch the panavision show at the beginning of the page. It's just unbelievable the amount of destruction. But... go to the photos below whatever that video clip is, and click til you get to photo 7 of 8. THAT is the fireman's statue I saw.

http://www.thedaily.com/article/2012...ews-sandy-nyc/

Last edited by golfhobo; 11-01-2012 at 04:06 AM.