User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Just keep posting

I don't know how it happened but I became a regular here. It was probably that I rankled enough people with political posts before the forum got to be as pussified as it is now. I ticked people off and they responded and I said "oh yeah!" and they said "oh yeah back to ya!!!" and on and on until we got to know each other a little. I learned that while they might not be evolved enough to eat with utensils yet, they're also uncouth enough that I wouldn't let any of them into my home and I advise you to be equally cautious.

Many people that don't post very often have posted things that I found interesting but for some reason didn't come up with a good response to. Maybe I just knew my post would be lame and why post lame when it's easier not to?

My point is keep posting. The more you post, the more people can connect your personality to your forum name.

Last edited by MichiganDriver; 08-19-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:29 AM
Board Icon

Hey sometimes not posting is the better part of valor, or something like that. There's been times when I've wanted to respond and clicked Reply only to just cut the page off and move on down the line.

I wouldn't say things have become "pussified" around here, just cleaned up a little bit. I know I didn't like it back when I first joined, certain posters who used to be here would trash anything you had to say and call you all kinds of names. It was really no fun at all, bickering and insults, sounded like and acted like you were at a T/S. It's gotten a LOT better. It's not like your being censored completely, just asked to move certain convo's to another section here. Believe it or not those type of convo's have been 100% censored on another site I frequent. You go there, you get banned. At least here it can still be discussed, the nuclear option was on the table for that stuff. I'm glad that option wasn't chosen. It's certainly not that hard to log in and go to the Politics forum to read or post.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Good response. I wasn't trying to step on any toes with my pussification comment. That's just how I view it and I didn't think to self-censor as I was typing. If I ever post on the subject again I'll try something different. Kinder and gentler perhaps?

How are the metrics doing? Have they bounced at all since the site made the change? I know it was not good for awhile. Maybe related to that - why the problem with emoticons? They can't cost much.

Related to that (sorry I'm rambling ) - if the site is hurting for cash why don't they do something about it? Drivers buy things. We are a ready made highly targeted buying audience. Fridges, laptops, gps, internet access, loadbars and related stuff, truck parts, work boots and gloves, mobile printers and scanners... Get some vendors in here that give drivers VERY good prices and made a little off each sale. Everyone wins. It doesn't seem that hard to me.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Board Icon

You didn't step on any toes IMO and the number of visitors has pretty much stayed the same. Every now and then some of the older members swing by and post/see what's up.

I can't say about the finances of the site other than I doubt that's the problem. There are just some things the owners of the site don't wish to be associated with. Like I said, the other place I frequent up and decided to use the nuclear option on political discussion. They had gone and made it it's own section where you had to also be logged in in order to see it, a year later they nuked it. The only reason given was that they were tired of it. Maybe they were tired of the bickering, insults, threats and whining from some posters who's feelings got hurt. Trust me, the discussion here on that matter is very civil and church like compared to there. From what I understand, the discussions here, board wide, are much more civil and friendly than the other sites under the same owner here. One of those is a police officer site, imagine that!

You know, that's an idea that could be brought up in the Site-Related Requests and see where it goes with the higher ups. You want to put start a thread in there since it's your idea or should I? I know when the former Rev. V tried something like CAD swag it seemed to have a good number of people who were all for it but he sold very little, I think his actual selling numbers were zero. But, that was swag related to this site not items that could be used on the truck like your proposing. I mean we do have ads that are geared towards each individual user's web history here at the top as is(mind you, I personally dislike that, it means someone is tracking me.)
Old 08-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You can post pretty much anything that you want on this site. What you can't do is personally attack another poster. Those who visit this site come here for information and insight into trucking. A spirited debate is encouraged, but there is a line that we don't cross. It drives readers and members away from the forum when we have a lack of civility. There are times when we disagree about issues. That is expected. It is how the individual posters handle the disagreements that is important. People don't come to this forum to see name calling and bickering among posters. I don't think that the owners of this forum are going out of business. They own a number of forums. Much effort is put forth to keep spammers from the site.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Senior Board Member

I didn't mean that I was interested in trying to sell stuff on the forum. I've already got a business and I work too many hours.

This thread started in my head with some questions about why more people don't post which led to my badly written first post and from there has gotten into all kinds of stuff. I think I get the broader meaning. I'll downsize.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Board Icon

I think you might have answered your own question with your second sentence there as to why. We all work, usually driving a truck and pulling long hours. I know when I do that posting here isn't even on my mind. I usually don't even swing in to see what's going down. I check my email, check the weather for the next day and then I'm off to eat, shower and hit the sack.

It's aight Michigan, I know what you meant by the idea you gave. Someone with the site owners to get in touch with some 3rd party's to see if they can offer goods here for truckers that are trucking related, like an advertisement or such but put in some promo code where we can redeem the code to get a discount. Or like a weekly prize or such where someone could win something? Not sure how that could work out with details and such of how it would work but hey, it's an idea and ain't nothing wrong with that.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:21 AM
Board Icon

MichiganDriver said:

Quote:
I don't know how it happened but I became a regular here.
You succombed to the addiction, and you kept posting. [see how I tied that into your thread title? I'm a genious!]

Quote:
It was probably that I rankled enough people with political posts before the forum got to be as pussified as it is now. I ticked people off and they responded and I said "oh yeah!" and they said "oh yeah back to ya!!!" and on and on until we got to know each other a little.
You shoulda been here "back in the day!" It was "BanAgeddon!" Trolls would come here just to get bloodied. Political fights would shame the Romney (and Obama) campaigns! Friends were LOST and now regained. [well... SOME of them.]

Quote:
I learned that while they might not be evolved enough to eat with utensils yet, they're also uncouth enough that I wouldn't let any of them into my home and I advise you to be equally cautious.
All JOKING aside... I've learned that they are all some pretty fart smellers! Some people say the difference between a Liberal and a Conservative is "education." I've learned that Common Sense is as good as any college education, and will get you a JOB more often than not. It's worked for ME, and every driver on this board. (not just in driving.)

Quote:
Many people that don't post very often have posted things that I found interesting but for some reason didn't come up with a good response to. Maybe I just knew my post would be lame and why post lame when it's easier not to?
I think "lame" is better than no response. Witness this post.

I can't count the number of posts (usually one liners) that I haven't responded to but really wanted to. I try my best to respond to everyone in a thread, though I can't always, because I want them to KNOW that I heard them! Sometimes it is just a time factor. Sometimes... it is because what they SAID really makes me THINK! [and I have to do research! lol.]

Quote:
My point is keep posting. The more you post, the more people can connect your personality to your forum name.
I agree that the oldtimers who "cruise" the site should post more. I'm just glad they still "check in" and post when they want to. THAT should tell you something about this site. It gets in your blood! But, I've seen good posters come and go. I've been told that "I" ran off most of the good ones. I really don't know.

I'm just an old Golf Hobo. I'll go ANYWHERE to play a round of golf. I'm a really GOOD truck driver, too. But, my passion ... of late... has been politics. Not Truck Stop Diner politics... but, the real thing with research and stuff.

The fact that THIS site lets me talk about trucking AND politics, without more than the "usual" put-down.... makes CAD a form of "heaven" for me. I don't know how anyone could resist it! Every now and then... we even get to question (or talk about) religion! Woo Hoo!

I've been here a long time, and I don't see it as "pussification." I see it more as "civilization." And I see the efforts of the CURRENT mods/admins as doing a good job of that. By being more "civilized" in our discussions, we are able to reach subjects of more importance. And that beats the "nuclear option."

And what part of THAT... you stinkin' LEEBRUL driver from the PROUDLY blue state of Michigan... don't you understand?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
I've already got a business and I work too many hours.

What you doing still working old pal? Wasn't that you that won that $360million Powrball, old buddy? I hope you know I was only kidding around before!
Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
I learned that while they might not be evolved enough to eat with utensils yet,
they're also uncouth enough that I wouldn't let any of them into my home and I advise you to be equally cautious.
MD.... come on man... I know you're in there...
I need to use your toilet'a​hhhhh

(..but you remember how badly I punished it the last time..
the neighbors down the street could hear what sounded like plywood being torn off the wall..)