User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Damn - who put that curb there?

I stopped at the T/A in Wytheville today for fuel. When I was leaving the lot when finished, I hit the damn curb with the trailer. Problem is that the curb is 10-12" high, and with a 45,000lb load, something had to give. That something just happened to be a rim on the trailer. There was no doubt whatsoever that it blew - I probably woke people up that were sleeping at the bottom of the lot. It sort of worked out for me, though (as good as it could, anyway), as there was a cop pulling out of the T/A right behind me when I did it. He blocked the road for me so I could do a u-turn to get back in for a new rim.

The tire itself was perfectly fine. The rim, though, has seen better days. It literally folded it in half. They had to use a torch to cut 1/2 the rim away just so they could get to the lug nuts.

While I was there, a mechanic said that it's a very common problem at their lot. He said one guy did the same thing, got the new rim put on, and as he was leaving, did the exact same thing again. Talk about a bad day there.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 AM
Senior Board Member

All you had to say was Wytheville before I knew exactly what you referenced. I've never seen anyone actually ride up that curb that badly, but I did see a... wait for it, wait for it... Swift trailer up on said curb one morning. However, he took the corner so tight that the truck got stuck and he was probably going to need a wrecker to get him unstuck.
When I went to driving school across the interstate from there, they made sure that we were keenly aware of that concrete monster's presence.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 AM
Senior Board Member

The mechanic told me of another one (same curb). The guy ran his tractor up the curb. It ripped the oilpan off the engine. He said the truck MIGHT have had 10,000 miles on it. Think the warranty covered it?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

mine was covered with snow... it wasn't my fault... they should never put something like that there!...

Old 04-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Once in Salinas CA I was the Police Car that was in Pursuit CURB. We were waiting to turn after loading out of the Bruce Church Cooler for Fresh Express for Chicago sitting at the light getting ready to head for the 101 to get out of town.

We hear the sirens heading towards us then see a flash of Bright red turn and nearly hit us. Then we see the squad car hit the turn and KNOW he is not going to make it he hits the median marker and then Slammed into us. I was driving I grabbed the Sat System hit the Panic Button then sent in the Accident Macro with a Report that I would Fill in the details later. My dad my teamate called 911 on the cell and was told that 2 Sargents were ON the way over to the scene along with 2 CHP officers as it was a Pursuit crash. The officer that hit us came back about 20 mins later and was like thanks for being there I would have wrecked if I had NOT hit you. Damage to the car was a Twisted Frame and body looked like somone had twisted it with a Drill. Every piece of glass but one was knocked out and the guys Partner Rin Tin TIN was lets say PISSED OFF. At least his Partner got to Drag the Idiot that led to the crash by refusing to stop for the Police. Damage to the Trailer they hit. Paint on the reefer tank paint on the Bottom Rail and knocked a TS off the underside of the trailer that was IT.

IIRC the company I was with billed the City 500 bucks for Repairs yet it cost them less than 20 bucks as they never buffed the paint off the trailer.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:15 AM
Senior Board Member

This week just keeps getting better...

Last night, I parked at the truckstop in Keysers Ridge, MD (ya, it snowed there - about 6" on the ground). I was just getting into a sound sleep when a driver decides that my mirrors look better rearranged. So, he used his trailer to do so. No real big deal on that, other than the waking up wondering what the hell was going on. Our shop is 20 miles away and they replaced the mirror today.

But, when I got up this morning, my low battery alarm was beeping. No noise from the power inverter at all. So, I try (that's the key word) to start the truck. It made the 1/4 revolution rawr and that was it. Now the inverter alarm is going off, and did so for an hour while I tried to find someone to jump me.

I'm just afraid to know what tomorrow will bring me... Sunday - rim, Monday - mirrors, Tuesday - batteries...
Old 04-25-2012, 05:53 AM
Senior Board Member

wow, very nice. maybe the engine will blow, or the injectors crack, or beter yet both. uhm, or maybe I should bite my tounge becuse I'd feal bad if i cursed you.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:12 AM
Senior Board Member

you jokers amuse us down here in the southern hemisphere you are unreal ,phew lucky we help you in these wars up there
Old 05-09-2012, 05:07 AM
Rookie

The curb is there - so the folks can make some money on the repairs,
he was a lost artist and his muse just hit him - with rearranged mirrors you look sexier,
your batteries have give up - you have to take care of it, love it, give warm thoughts and your gentle touch
Old 05-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock View Post
wow, very nice. maybe the engine will blow, or the injectors crack, or beter yet both. uhm, or maybe I should bite my tounge becuse I'd feal bad if i cursed you.
LMAO - I forgot you said this because the engine DID blow in the truck. It took until the May 7th to happen, but it happened.