LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Trucknpro 2012

I have used Trucknpro for several years. I just got notice that Trucknpro has released their newest version. They have made a number of upgrades or improvements. This new version has IFTA and invoicing. It works well if you run your own authority. The new version also has the capability to scan fuel receipts, bills of lading or anything else that has to do with the load. Some owner operators would like to go paperless. This might be the thing to allow you to do that. I only briefly looked at it, but I do like some of the new improvements. They now have two versions of the software for general consumption, but also have versions for Landstar BCO's and Conway drivers and owner operators. Has anyone else checked it out or downloaded it? I am curious as to what current users think of the new version. www.foglinesoftware.com.

Last edited by GMAN; 01-08-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Does anyone use other software that you like? It would be interesting to compare different software.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Senior Board Member

I've looked at most (if not all) of the packages out there. Each one has their pro's and con's, but I've yet to see one that I think I would use if/when I purchase a truck. None of them seem to use the same idea of bookkeeping as I do. One of the biggies is the fuel purchases - they're all tied to a load. However, fuel isn't - fuel is a constantly used supply. Say you just finished a 1,000 mile run, started a short run of maybe 100 miles. When you get fuel, it's going to give your fuel cost for that trip as a huge percentage of your costs for that particular trip, which it isn't. In other words, fuel purchases should never be tied to a particular trip, unless you're spending above and beyond normal, say having to purchase it in Canada when you normally wouldn't. Same for other expenses - very few expenses go for a certain trip, such as tolls, lumper, etc. General expenses (repairs, oil, gloves, etc) are just that - general expenses.

When I was playing around with the bookkeeping side of things, I downloaded a demo of QuickBooks and even though it's not perfect, you can enter your data in a more logical fashion, including assigning certain expenses with certain trips, while keeping general expenses, well, generalized. You can also use it to track your dispatched miles using a non-inventory part, such as DeadheadUnpaid, DeadheadPaid, Bobtail, Loaded, etc.

Another thing I like about QuickBooks is the fact you can do all of your actual bookkeeping through it, including online banking. Having the ability to quickly transfer money between accounts with the touch of a couple of buttons is a great feature.

The only thing it won't do would be give you a breakdown on your income/expense per mile. Also, to be able to scan your documents into QuickBooks, you have to subscribe to their service. I can't remember the cost, but it's more than I would pay. I currently use Quicken Home & Business for my personal finances, and while it can do both personal & business, it won't keep totals on your miles like QuickBooks will, but you can scan documents directly into it for free.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't understand why tolls and fuel would not be tied to a particular load? If you deadhead to pick up a load then those miles should be connected to the load that you are picking up. I usually end the costs of a particular load when I deliver. When I leave then I put the deadhead miles to the next load. I don't remember if you can put in fuel costs with Trucknpro without having a trip number. I suppose you could put in a bogus number to use for fuel that are not tied to a particular load. One thing that all the trucking software programs do is to break down your costs by the mile. It makes it easy to see your actual costs of operations other than your fixed costs, such as truck or trailer payments. Some people break down those costs down by the day. A nice feature that I really like with the Trucknpro program is that you can put your numbers in based upon percentage or mileage, depending on how you are paid. I am talking about those who are leased to a carrier. Someone with their own authority would just put in the figures and the software will give you a breakdown.

I have met a few people who use Quickbooks Pro. I don't know if it breaks down the costs or revenue by the mile. With a trucking specific software package such as Trucknpro you can also track your maintenance and do a profit and loss by the load, by the truck (if you own more than one truck). year to date or by a specific time period. Some bookkeeping software takes time to learn. I think the best software is the one that is easy to use. That is what I like about the Trucknpro software. I do appreciate your input, Malaki.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm not saying that the fuel shouldn't be tied to a particular load, I'm saying not ALL fuel should be. Of course, tolls should always be attached to the trip you're running when they're incurred, unless, of course, you're just deadheading somewhere without 'reason', such as home. Then it becomes a 'general' expense.

Example:

You start out with 1/4 tank of fuel (not under a load). You get a 800 mile load and stop for fuel (fill-up). You drive to the pickup, grab the load and go on until you deliver (no more fuel stops). After that, you get, say, 3 short runs (under 250 miles each). Well, you have to buy fuel before you can start trip #2 (which is the 1st short run). You then won't need fuel until after you complete your 3rd short run. So, that means that short trip #1 would show a HUGE cost per mile, while short trip #2 would show a very low cost/mile. Trip #3, if you fuel before finalizing the trip, would, again, show a huge cost per mile.

It should instead, take an average cost per mile based on recent fuel mileage & fuel cost per gallon. This would give a much more accurate cost per mile.

I hope you understand what I'm saying on that.

Short of buying fuel at the end of each and every trip, I don't know if there truly is a good way to get a very accurate cost per mile for the fuel. Knowing that the truck uses different amounts of fuel depending on the type of load, the weather, the terrain, etc, it makes it tough. That's why I think an average cost over a certain time period's (say 1 or 2 week) cost/usage would be the closest.

No - QuickBooks won't break down the costs by the mile. However, you could set up a report to export that could in turn be ran on Excel that could do the cost per mile breakdown.

Oh - just checked: with QuickBooks 2012, you can now scan documents (receipts, bol's, whatever), for free into it. They stopped the subscription fee on that.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

When you put the trip information into Trucknpro you should get an automatic breakdown by the load for costs and profit and for that particular load. You can check your average mpg at any time by just putting in the truck number and time period. It can be checked by the day, week, month or year. You can do the reports at any given time whenever you want to check. It just takes a few seconds to put the information in and check it.

It is good that QuickBooks no longer charges to scan documents. There must be too much competition for them to continue charging. I would say that this will be a trend to scan in documents and to use more electronic storage and less paper. I still prefer a paper trail, but it sure saves storage when you can put everything in an electronic format.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Definitely with the scanning. Keep the original in a file box, but if you need to access it quickly, just open up your software and view/print it. If you need the original, that's available as well. You also don't have to carry it all around with you in the truck (originals). Just drop them off each time you're at home.

One thing I may have overlooked in TrucknPro is where you can put 'defaults' in. Like me, as a company driver now, but (hopefully) one day leased on. It doesn't 'remember' my truck number, my pay rates, etc. Also, as a lease driver, it should have a section for adding a FSC @ a mileage rate. Yes, I can add it as a 'extra' income, but you have to do the math manually, versus it calculating for you.

Another thing would be recurring expenses, such as insurance payments, whether they're weekly, monthly, whatever. Any way to 'schedule' them in TrucknPro?

I just want you to know, I'm definitely not arguing with you. You've done this a hell of a lot longer than I have, but it just doesn't match with my thinking as far as tracking EVERYTHING when it comes to getting a true picture of your business. I just think I like the idea of being able to track/control as much as possible from one piece of software would be the best way to go, but, like I pointed out, QuickBooks (or Quicken Business) can't do that either because they don't deal with fuel usage & income/expense broken down by the mile.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Trucknpro allows you to customize your software up to a point. You can add the fsc and it will do the calculations for you. I need to look at the new software closer, but you will need to put in the miles and rate for it to do the calculations. I don't think that it remembers the percentage. That should not be a big deal. There is a way to put your pay in as mileage, percentage or a flat rate when you run your own authority. There is a "reminder" on the software where you can put in meetings or reminders for payments or other things. You can't pay things directly from the software, but can put in a reminder to prompt you when it is due. Another feature that I have always liked is the broker or contact area. At one time I had over 300 contacts in my broker/contact database. I can put notes about brokers or shippers, directions, pay rates and type of freight. There is also a vendor database you can build. There is a section on maintenance where you can track your truck and trailer expenses. Once you put in your truck number the software will remember the number. It will pop up as you put in your load information. If you have multiple trucks then all of them will pop up and you just point and click on the right one and it assigns the load to your truck.

You can do the same thing with shippers, brokers and consignee's. You put in part of their information or code and the software pulls in the rest of the information when you click it. There is also a list of truck stops. You can also add more as you go along. If you have tarp pay or other pay you can set that up yourself. The program is rather flexible. Once you get all your load information and expenses the software will tell you if you made a profit or lost money on that load and by how much. You can do a profit and loss by the load or a certain piece of time.

Even as a company driver you could start with the smaller package and move up to the larger one if needed. The smaller package will do most everything you need as an owner operator leased to another carrier. As a company driver you also need to track your expenses and income. If you put all of your revenue (wages) and expenses into the program all you will need to do at the end of the year is to print out a profit and loss or reports for various aspects of your job and give them to your tax preparer. You can track your purchases by using a credit card, debit card, fuel card or cash. You can download a trial version and try it for a short time before making a decision. I would probably wait until I was ready to make a decision before downloading the software. If you lease to Landstar or Conway you could get their version of the software or buy one of the generic programs designed for everyone.

Is there something specific that you would like to track?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Bump.

Have you been using the new Trucknpro Gman? It looks tempting, but it's too bad it doesn't handle all the other costs associated with being in business - telephone, internet, insurance etc. Quickbooks is one of my least favorite programs but being able to email the file to an accountant is easy and saves money on his fees. One thing TruckNPro does better than QB though is invoicing. Simple and designed just for a trucking company.

My version of QB (I have version 6 and QB 2002) has this horrible invoice (see pic). Hardly suitable for a trucking company. Do newer versions of QB have a customizable invoice generator? I guess I could use TruckNPro for day-to-day operations and then reenter the info into QB but entering the same info twice doesn't appeal to me.

Anybody using anything they like?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1032[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QB Invoice.jpg (22.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Pretty sure even the version 2002 that you have should have the ability to create a customized invoice. I've played around with QB quite a bit and every version I can remember trying had the ability to customize the invoices to some extent.