User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Oklahoma mother shoots intruder

The 911 dispatcher told her she could not shoot him unless he got into the house. But when he did, she was told to do what she had to do. Not a good thing to face after she lost her husband to cancer this past Christmas.

911 Tells Mom 'Do What You Have To Do': Okla. Mom Sarah McKinley Kills Intruder Justin Martin

The police called the shooting "JUSTIFIABLE". This girl's got GUTS!!!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Good for her. Too bad it wasn't in Texas, she could have taken care of it sooner there.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:05 AM
Board Icon

The wimmin up here prefer a shovel.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

She warned him first, she called 911, she waited for him to come in, I dont see where she could have done anything different. I'm glad to hear it called justified and hopefully she doesnt face alot backlash from authorities. This is exactly how I tell my wife to handle it. Stay in the bedroom, call the sherrif, point the gun at the door, if they still come in then you have to shoot them. Let them take what they want but dont let them past the door. But our first line of defense is two big male dogs. A dobie and a rotty mix. If the intruder is still around, then my dogs must be dead and she knows she has a problem. Damn right she's shooting when that door opens.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Senior Board Member

BTW the shameful part is that she was on the phone over 20 minutes and the law wasnt there yet? I know where I live we may the same problem because of layoffs and cutbacks our sherrif's dept is real thin. It probably would take 20 minutes as big as the county is. If the intruder doesnt leave on his own or run from the dogs that doesnt leave us with much choice. I sincerely hope we never have to make that choice but we have trained for that day.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm glad it turned out the way it did, in some states (NY) she would be under investigation for whatever they can think of!

Average 911 call responce something like 6 min. a .357 is 1400 feet per second
Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
I'm glad it turned out the way it did, in some states (NY) she would be under investigation for whatever they can think of!

Average 911 call responce something like 6 min. a .357 is 1400 feet per second
That's whats wrong with the system. They'd be asking her a zillion questions trying to find a way to prosecute her. Everything from what was her intention to why did you use that type of ammo? Were you trying to kill him? How do you know he didn't just want to rob you? In Ohio you cannot shoot to protect your property. You have to be protecting your life. They expect the victim to be a mind reader. In this case she lived in a trailer and obviously didn't own much. The perp lived nearby, knew her, and had been to the door before. He forced his way in with a knife knowing she was home. Robbers don't want confrontation. They will leave at the first sign of detection. A barking dog, a light being turned on, the homeowner being present. That's why I tell my wife to stay in the bedroom and announce that if you come in I will shoot you. If they get past my dogs and are still trying to enter the bedroom after all that we have to assume they are here to do physical harm. Then when you shoot them you have to hope the bleeding heart courts agree with you. The way I look at it I don't know what the intruder wants but I know he's NOT supposed to be in my house and I WILL be alive to face the judgement. I understand its no small thing to take a life. The victim has mere seconds to process the situation. Then has to face the scrutiny of the court. My opinion is if a guy enters someone's home illegally with the sole intention of robbing and winds up dead then oh well. That's the risk he took. The shooter's punishment is living with the knowledge he took a life. He should not face jail time because of it.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Board Icon

I know around here I have nothing to worry about. I went to school with most of the force and the rest knew me as I was growing up or know my parents. They know how I am so if they hear a call of a problem at my address than can be here from the other end of the county in 10-12 minutes. Normally it's a 40-50 minute drive. I know that only because my one buddy got a 911 call from his wife that their one son had fallen down the stairs and wasn't breathing. He was on the very far end of the county having just come off another call, he put that Charger in the wind and was home in 8 minutes. And no, it's not your normal Charger that most police have, the Sheriff paid for 3 of them out of his own pocket to make them the fastest in this area. Even the Statie's are jealous.

Last I knew in VA, the intruder had to be in the home before you could do anything like what this girl did. Maybe that's changed because it was really silly, if you shot an intruder as they came thru the front door or a window and they fell outside of the home, you were looking at jail time. If they fell on into the home, you were safe.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I remember hearing a constable tell my mother once that if she ever had to shoot an intruder to drag them inside or make sure that they fall in the house. He also said to shoot to kill or he could come back and sue. That has happened a number of times in various states. We need to get rid of those laws and make sure the homeowner or occupant has the right to protect themselves, their faimily and their property.

By the way, has anyone heard about the individual who went to the monument to the 9/11 people and had a gun? He saw a sign that said you could not have guns at the monument. He had a CCW from another state, I believe. He sought out a cop to see if there was a secure place to leave his gun while he visited the monument. The cop arrested him and it is my understanding that this law abiding citizen is now facing felony possession or similar charges.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Board Icon

Sounds like New York Gman.

Go live in England, you kill an intruder and your going to be in deep trouble no matter how you do it. Criminals have more rights there than law abiding citizens trying to protect themselves. The mentality there is that your to call 999 and let the bobbies take care of it. If the criminal kills you before they get there it's ok, you did the right thing.............smh