User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 02:52 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Glad I don't live in California

Discovery Channel just had a couple of programs about upcoming disasters that we can look forward to in our lifetimes.

The Mayan Calender ends on Dec 21, 2012, but not the world. The Mayans say that it is the "end of a cycle". Oddly enough, the solar activity is building up to what scientists expect will be a "climax" on or about Dec 21, 2012. Solar flares and solar storms will wipe out power grids, but that will also effect the weather. They're talking about a "Arch-storm" coming in from the Pacific, and cover more than 200 miles of coastline. High winds, storm surge, mud slides, the damage would be close to a trillion dollars. They say it will also hang around for more than a month. Up to ten feet of rain a day will make Silicon Valley a lake as much as 20 feet deep. In order to survive, anyone that is isolated by the storm (which may be nearly everyone) will need about two months of supplies (looks like only potential terrorists have a chance), and will have to do so without electric power. They did not go into what it will do to the rest of the country, but storms don't generally stop there.

The second thing they talked about is a "mega-earthquake" in America's mid-section. Tiptonville, TN. According to records, the last time there was a major earthquake there was in 1907, and caused damage as far as a thousand miles away. Evidence indicates that each succeeding quake takes less time than the one before, and each one is stronger than the previous one. When it does go off, there are plumes of sand and steam that shoot into the air like volcanoes. The next one may destroy most things or damage them within a thousand miles in all directions. The lake just east of Tiptonville was created by the earthquake of 1907, and the next one should be due any day.

The third thing they talked about does not come from this country, but this country is the target of nature. La Palma in the Canary Islands is a volcanic island that is actually split. An eruption of the volcano will cause miles of mountainside to slide into the ocean, creating a tsunami about a mile high, with the entire east coast of the USA in it's path. There would be only about 5 hours warning to evacuate New York City before it was under more than a hundred feet of water. Down here on the west coast of FL, we would probably get our feet wet from it hitting the east coast. Places like Miami will be wiped out.

The last one they talked about was Yellowstone National Park..... Again.

But, of all of these, the one they point to as the most likely is the "arch-storm" over California. They believe it will be caused by solar flares and solar radiation that will reach it's peak sometime close to the end of next year. So, I"m glad I don't live in CA, and if Yellowstone blows, I'm far enough away to make a few plans before all the ash hits here. Not that it will mean much when all the dust and ash gets into the upper atmosphere.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:20 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I wish that I could have seen that show. I suppose I won't need to renew my cab card for California or New York next year? That should solve the pollution problem they are so concerned about in California. I guess we all need to become terrorists and store food and supplies. We may also need those guns that Hillary Clinton, Obama and the UN want to take. If that does come to pass it will be something to behold. I would rather not live so close to that earthquake in west Tennessee. It is almost 400 miles from me. The naysayers have been wrong about global warming and other prognostications. Perhaps they are also wrong about this. We won't know until this time next year.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:47 AM
Board Icon

They've been trying to predict earthquakes and volcano eruptions for decades, and they still can't do so with any accuracy. But, I've been reading a number of reports that solar activity has been increasing over the last 3 to 5 years. It seems that the sun goes through cycles (or sub-cycles) every so many years, and they have a pretty good idea when it will reach it peak. They're thinking it may be strong enough, next year, for solar radiation to get through to the earth's surface. If so, it could have an effect on the weather. Because of the expanse of the Pacific, it would have more of an effect there than the Atlantic. Vaporizing the water from the surface would mean a huge storm moving into California. That one, of all of them, is the one that actually may have some substance. And, I don't believe there is any part of California that is geared to get ten feet of rain a day for more than a month at a time.

I've seen central Wisconsin get about 9 inches of rain in about 4 hours. And, 4 hours is as long as that storm lasted. The amount of water and flooding was the worst I've ever seen in that area in 60 years. Streams that you could step across became rivers a quarter mile wide, and it took a week for the water to drain off. When it was over, parts of the landscape were changed. Multiply that many times over in California, and you have a major disaster. Then, add in "on-shore" winds and storm surge, and the rain would not have a way to drain off until the storm was over. They did not paint a pretty picture.

Now, NY and NJ aren't places that I would really miss. Never enjoyed running there. Rude and highly over-rated. Not that I"m that partial to CA either.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
, .

Now, NY and NJ aren't places that I would really miss.
I wouldn't miss them either and I live in the west end of NY.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:34 AM
Senior Board Member

2012 is rapidly approaching. The END is NEAR!! JESUS is COMING!!
EVERYBODY LOOK BUSY!!

Last edited by Useless; 12-18-2011 at 03:36 AM. Reason: WHY NOT??
Old 12-18-2011, 03:43 AM
Senior Board Member

9 inches in 4 hours?? Back in '98, we experienced the 500 year flood here in South Texas. 25 inches in a little over 4 hours. Guadalupe Co., Bexar Co. and Comal Co. looked like war zones!!
Old 12-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Board Icon

I remember a trip to visit relatives in NE. Overnight, when we were on the way there, they had a huge hail storm. In the morning, all we could see was water, like we were in the middle of a huge lake (Except for the trees sticking up out of the water.) Normally, in the late part of July, you can not see beyond the corn at the edge of the road. The hail and rain was so heavy it pounded corn stalks, that were six feet tall the day before, six inches into the ground. When the water did drain off, the corn fields looked like they had never been planted. Just bare ground. There was also a lot of hail damage to building and vehicles.

They have not been able to predict the time of events with any accuracy. But, to predict effects when the event happens might be something else entirely. The western half of the island in the Canaries actually does show where it is very likely to break off and slide in to the water. And, they've found enough evidence of what it will cause to make some pretty good predictions of the effects. A tsunami hitting the east coast of the US would make Japan look like previews of coming attractions. And, they're predicting that millions would be killed and missing.

The Mayan calender does not say "the end of the world". But, there appear to be major events that mark the end of one cycle and the beginning of another. The earth may be forever changed by it.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member

A few years ago, my daughter was looking for ideas for entering her school's science fair. Came across something rather interesting, regarding the theory that animals can detect the coming of earthquakes.

Seems as though a girl who lived in the San Francisco Bay area had an idea that might add credence to that theory, or perhaps discredit it. Gotta' give her credit for creative thinking.

She went to The San Francisco Chronicle's office, and reviewed the archives of the newspaper in the days leading up to the big shaker of 1990. Of all places to look, she went through the classified section of the paper. (this was before the days of CraigsList)

What would ANYTHING in the classified section of the newspaper tell her?? She went through the archives of the "Lost and Found" section. In the days leading up to the earthquake, she discovered that the number of pets reported missing took a rather significant rise. Absolute proof?? No, but it is something to consider.

Actually, the Mayan Calendar has predicted certain events accurately. According to astronomers, predictions of stellar and planetary alignments have been amazingly accurate. Does this mean the world will end?? No, it simply means the Mayan Calendar will have run it's course.

Last edited by Useless; 12-19-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:10 AM
Board Icon

I have known for years, if the birds are flying low, don't worry about the weather. If things like swallows, that normally fly just a few feet above the ground, are flying nearly out of sight, you'll want to find someplace to hide too.

I was stationed in North Africa when two quakes hit (one in Lisbon, the other in the Azores about 15 minutes later) and the tremors took down a few buildings near the base. The goats, sheep, donkeys, and cattle were extremely skittish just before the shaking started. They all looked like they'd bolt at the drop of a pin.

But, from what I've read, before the actual quake, there are minor tremors. Instruments pick up a slight increase. Few if any humans can feel it. But, animals seem to be far more sensitive to things like that.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:27 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

And after the storm come the zombies. We're all gonna die!