User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 06:46 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default A Conservative's Christmas dream

I am so proud of my Dad, and am constantly amazed at the things he continues to be involved with, even after his retirement.

Many of you are aware of his trips to Haiti. I don't think he'll be going back soon, but who knows. His mission there has reached the targets he set for it, the mission there is flourishing. From the rubble of an earthquake, he has helped to build an orphanage, medical center, and church.

He has once again come out of retirement, (part time) to take on another "interim" pastorship of a struggling church with a once proud history in our area. I have no doubt he will help them regain their membership and their ministry. That's what he does best. That is what he now tells me is "his calling."

But, this week I learned of another mission he has been involved with for many years through our local Southern Baptist Association. It's called the "Christmas Store." This is not just your average charity organization to give toys and food to poor families during the holidays. Some of you conservatives will LOVE the concept here.

Through donations, they stock a "store" with gifts and food... located at a local Baptist church. But, this is not a "give-away" per se.

Those truly in need, as vetted by local churches or organizations, are allowed to shop at the store and buy gifts for their children (or each other) at 10 cents on the dollar. Sure, they get good stuff at prices you and I can't get... but... they ALSO get the dignity of at least paying SOMETHING for what they get! Their family gets presents for Christmas and they get the privilege of PAYING something for them. They also get some free groceries donated by local food chains, and before they leave... they get a bible and a chance to talk to a counselor about ANY problems they are facing, or questions they have about their faith.

I know... 10 cents per dollar is not much. But, there is no price on human dignity. I can only imagine the pride that these people have when they pay (something) for a gift instead of just getting it free through charity.

Organizations in Charlotte have since copied the format and tenets of our local association. It's an idea that seems to be spreading.

I am doing quite well these days, and I look for a way to help others at this time. This year... I will see what I can do to help support THIS mission.

I encourage others to give freely at this time of year. But, for those who don't think the poor should get a free ride.... this is an idea that you should embrace. If you don't have one in your area, suggest it to your local church or association.

Here are a few links about it. Some of the info is buried in the websites of the churches and organizations involved. I apologize if you have to read too much that isn't related.

Fifth annual Christmas Store ready for business

Community Christmas Shop

http://www.fbcsalisbury.org/FirstFamily.pdf

http://www.rowansba.org/Newsletters/2011/August.pdf

At any rate... Christmas is rapidly approaching. I wish you all a very Merry CHRISTMAS holiday... and all the joy of giving that comes with the season.

Jesus came to bring PEACE to the World. Maybe, when he retires, he'll have time to do as much as my DAD has been doing lately. :lol:

Remember... LOVE is not a four letter word.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Senior Board Member

How you doing Hobo? Your dad sounds like a good man, like my memory of how religious people used to be - he just wants to help people. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am glad you said Merry Christmas rather than Happy Holidays. I really admire your Dad for his commitment and drive. He epitomizes what Christians should do. I think that it is a wonderful idea to have these people pay a small amount for their gifts. I don't have a problem helping people, but it does help people's dignity when they can contribute. It means more when you can pay your own way. My sister manages a store for her church that provides clothing and food for the poor. She has been doing it for perhaps 30 years. There is no charge to the recipients. I like to see churches involved in working with those in need. That is the way it should be. I think the seeds your Dad has planted will show huge dividends. It sounds like it has really taken off. You may want to post the links on some of the other trucking forums. I am sure there will be those who will be willing to contribute and perhaps get involved.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
How you doing Hobo? Your dad sounds like a good man, like my memory of how religious people used to be - he just wants to help people. Merry Christmas!
Doing fine. You should post more. Yeah, my dad is something. He DOES like helping people but... make no mistake about it.... if you get close enough, he WILL try to save your soul! :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.