User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Bio Ulsd

Just curious how many folks realize if you fuel up at a Pilot or Flying J in the central Florida, coast to coast, Gainesville to Ft myers area that you are geting B20 mix. and your thoughts on Bio disel as it seems to be the wave of the future her in Florida..

Timberwolf

Last edited by Kentla93; 10-10-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

It may be the wave of the future. If you fuelled up in MN, IA, or IL over the last five years, you've been getting a mix of 5% to 15%, depending on which state you got your fuel. MN also has suppliers where you can fill your tanks with pure Bio, if you want. I never got to check the fuel economy from it, because I was having problems with the bacteria that grows in the Bio. More than once, I had to change my fuel filter when it got clogged with the bacteria.

And that makes me wonder... There is a "bacteriacide" you can buy and add to the tanks to kill the bacteria. I think it's about a pint to each tank. Keeps the bacteria from growing, and keeps the fuel flowing through the filter. But, what are the ingredients in it? Some years ago, there were a few businesses that were getting rid of PCBs in fuel. When they were found out, they paid some pretty hefty fines for releasing the PCBs into the air. What kind of effect does that bacteriacide have when it gets into the air?

For that matter, read the notices on the gas pumps in FL. You're getting a blend of alcohol in your gasoline as well.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Board Icon

Another added bonus... if you use bio-diesel, your job can also be counted as a Green Job. ....whooooo hooo ?

when the price of energy necessarily skyrockets,
so Green energy is more affordable,
maybe then, we will give them back their food.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
It may be the wave of the future. If you fuelled up in MN, IA, or IL over the last five years, you've been getting a mix of 5% to 15%, depending on which state you got your fuel. MN also has suppliers where you can fill your tanks with pure Bio, if you want. I never got to check the fuel economy from it, because I was having problems with the bacteria that grows in the Bio. More than once, I had to change my fuel filter when it got clogged with the bacteria.

And that makes me wonder... There is a "bacteriacide" you can buy and add to the tanks to kill the bacteria. I think it's about a pint to each tank. Keeps the bacteria from growing, and keeps the fuel flowing through the filter. But, what are the ingredients in it? Some years ago, there were a few businesses that were getting rid of PCBs in fuel. When they were found out, they paid some pretty hefty fines for releasing the PCBs into the air. What kind of effect does that bacteriacide have when it gets into the air?

For that matter, read the notices on the gas pumps in FL. You're getting a blend of alcohol in your gasoline as well.
ethnol has been in florida since i have been pulling fuel, thats old news, however the racks are are now beginning the process of injecting a 4% Bio mix into all usld regardless, so you will have it in your truck if you fuel in Central Florida, Pilot has been doing to 20% mix for the last year or so at their truck stops. Just curious how you guys feel about it, Ethanol does not bother me been doing it for years and our cars run fine, When I run my fastback I only fuel it with 93 octane plus and an addtional octane booster, My 73 convertible will run on the same mix once it is road ready..

Timberwolf
Old 10-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Board Icon

All I can say is that I'm glad I don't fill up in FL. We had bio diesel delivered to our yard for a few years before we quit using it after the price jumped. Still have trucks that have fuel lines and filters all gobbed up from the stuff. Truck sits 30 days(or less) with bio in the tank and engine, forget it, your gonna have to pull everything apart fuel wise to get it running again.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Senior Board Member

The Peelot I fuel at has had bio-blend for awhile (5% i think) and my truck handles it just fine (010 Prostar) I fill my pick up truck at another truck stop near home started useing the blend and I didn't know I started haveing a lot of smoke and a loss of power. This continued for about 2 months and I just figured it might be time for a reduild or injectors. Then I filled up one day at a Hess and the power came back and the smoke started going away! ???? Who'd guess??? Can you guess where I fuel now? Truck is an old 1986 Chevy with mechincal 6.2L
Old 10-13-2011, 01:41 AM
Board Icon

It may work okay in Florida, but I wouldn't use that stuff where the temps get below freezing.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
The Peelot I fuel at has had bio-blend for awhile (5% i think) and my truck handles it just fine (010 Prostar) I fill my pick up truck at another truck stop near home started useing the blend and I didn't know I started haveing a lot of smoke and a loss of power. This continued for about 2 months and I just figured it might be time for a reduild or injectors. Then I filled up one day at a Hess and the power came back and the smoke started going away! ???? Who'd guess??? Can you guess where I fuel now? Truck is an old 1986 Chevy with mechincal 6.2L
Ain't you in one of them there states where they are gonna come take your smoker away from you??
Old 10-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
It may work okay in Florida, but I wouldn't use that stuff where the temps get below freezing.
I wouldn't use that stuff ever. If it is posted on a pump where I stop....I drive a little further.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Ain't you in one of them there states where they are gonna come take your smoker away from you??
My p/u dosn't smoke anymore , but I do smoke up some ribs now n then and NO THEY AINT GETTIN THAT EITHER!