User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default need new cb and antennas what to get ?

My dad is still driving, owner operator, and bought another used truck. He's going to keep the old CB in the old truck and wants to get a new CB for the new truck. I gave him a cobra nigh****ch, sound tracker, weather and he was okay with that. We could never get the single antenna to work great in the old the old truck, just adequate.

He has dual mirror mounts and wants to get a good CB, mic, and good antennas (not too tall). He is not a big talker on the CB, he just needs it to be clear and work. Ideas?
Old 11-26-2011, 05:16 AM
Senior Board Member

First of all, what kind of truck is it? I've never had a single antenna setup to work right either. I've run dual antennas on most of my trucks and those work decently. Wilson 2000's are good (but they're about 5' tall), and Firestick II's and Wilson fibreglass antennas are good and can be had in 3' and 4' lengths. For dual antenna installs, get a co-phase harness. Adjust the SWR on each antenna using a regular, 50-ohm coax, then hook up the co-phase harness.
The reason that a single antenna doesn't work well on a big truck is that the shape of a truck and the location of the antenna tend to distort the radiation pattern. Dual antennas even this out. Keep us posted, and good luck on the new setup.