User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Idiot driver or just not paying attention? You decide.

Was on the way home this morning and saw something interesting. After I got onto the surface roads in my home town, I came across what looked to be the cleanup from an accident. There was a fire truck, 2 police cars and a utility truck/cherry picker. All of the vehicles had their lights going, as well as firemen out directing traffic (1 of the lanes was blocked).

I come up on this and was stopped behind 3 cars in front of me by a fireman. No problem. They were letting traffic go through from the opposite direction. When the traffic flow from the opposite side ended (nothing coming), the firemen then motioned for my side to go through. Before I could even start rolling, I saw a bobtail come from the opposite direction. I saw the fireman flagging him to stop, and went as far as to start waving his arms and got in front of the bobtail. He didn't stop until a police officer stepped out.

The cop then jumped up on the steps. I'm not sure what all was said, but he motioned the driver to the side of the road. He then went to his car and grabbed his ticket book and started towards the bobtail.

Wonder what all they'll get him on? I hope it's a doozie.

So, which is he? Not paying attention or plain out stupid?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Board Icon

Probably a little of both. I've seen 4 wheelers try to go sneaking/blowing thru a paving area even though the flagger has already turned the "Stop" paddle. They swing over into the other lane and go right on past like it was still ok, they even give the flagger a little wave to say thanks.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah, stupid And not paying attention. Hope he got burned good and don't forget the triple CSA points.
Reminds me of a story my dad told me of how he worked as a flagmen one summer must've been in the 40's. He held a flag in one hand and half a brick in the other! It did seem to command some respect as he never did have to use it!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Senior Board Member

I did a short stint hauling equipment for a local contractor. We were at a paving job at a busy shopping center and people had no clue that orange cones + a person in an orange vest + waving a flag meant. I hit a couple cars with a cone I kept beside me.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:45 AM

The only time I have written a truck driver was in this type of situation. We had an over-turned tractor trailer on an exit ramp. Police cars, DOT, flares and flags marking the ramp closed and this idiot bobtail still decided to drive over the flares and try to take the ramp. As he backed downed after realizing he couldn't make it through , I stopped and wrote him. I think I wrote him for failing to obey signs, signals, markings as we had a flagman out there, along with all the flashing lights and flares that would normally indicate that something isn't quite right. This jack-wagon tried to fight it in court......I had pictures of our set up at the exit, that included his truck on the wrong side of all the flares and flashing lights. Needless to say he was convicted and a violation on his record.

Again this is the only driver I have written while he/she was actually working. I respect what ya'll do and one day will be on the road with you. Idiots like this have no place driving 4 wheels let alone 18 (10 in his case). We have weight guys....but that is on ya'll........if I stop ya, it's probably cause your trailer lights arent working and I let ya know with a warning.

Stay safe on the road folks.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:38 AM
Senior Board Member

It does remind me of this one time when I was a kid. I came up on a cop directing traffic coming out of the high school. He was standing there in the middle of the road, aiming his hand downward and shaking it violently up and down. "DOWN DOWN DOWN!!!" he was trying to say, but I was just completely perplexed. We made eye contact, and I'm sure he saw the bafflement in my eyes as much as I saw the anger in his.

Then it hit me. I'm in a school zone, going 20 over. WHOOPS!

He didn't chase me down. Probably because he saw the realization dawn, and the "OH $/,!+" expression on my face as I was slamming on the brakes.

I got lucky.