User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Now that sucks

What a bummer. I saw that Mr Ford was the last one to post on the "Flipping the Bird" thread and being in the mood for a laugh at the end of my work day I decided to see what witty remark he had made. Bummer of bummers. He hadn't visited the thread to post something witty, he was just there to close the thread.

Mr Ford, you moderator types have a dual mission and if you see it has a single mission you're fcking up. On the one hand you need to keep the advertisers happy, but on the other hand if you don't keep truckers happy you won't have any advertisers to worry about. Just a thought for you to ponder.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Board Regular

It does suck...

People get off topic all the time, its spicey and fun. At least for someone with undiagnoised adhd. I think moderating takes a finese that you have to temper your power with allowing people to sound off and then move on. It only serves to inflame people when you drop the hammer and cut them off.

Allow people to get things off their chest and then roll off their backs..... For me personally I get invested in my comments. Though I don't necessarily subscribe to the same theories that Timber/Kentla does on all issues. We are both passionate, which makes us valuable to the forum as an entertainment factor . Things to consider before locking the next harmless thread. A simple reminder to stay on task or whatever. But CAD, no longer having the traffic that it once did, doesn't need to run off any more of its regulars. Thank you.

~S
Old 09-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Senior Board Member

Thanks for the feedback - this is definitely a two-way street, and the admins and mods are humans, too, just folks charged with the task of keeping a community going.

OP in that thread (MichiganDriver in this case) probably should have posted it in Anything and Everything, as it wasn't really a serious technical request. That's distracting from real technical issues that users have with the board.

Flipping the bird, fun as it may be, isn't really productive for anyone except the person doing it. We want people to talk with each other, not at each other. I know an emoticon is just a symbol, but I've seen other boards turn into basically giant arguments conducted with emoticons, and I want to avoid that.

We'll try to be more mindful of the fun factor here from now on, but we want people to treat each other with respect, and will enforce that.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlie
I don't see anything wrong with telling someone that they are # 1
Yup.

Clee, as my theory of what's going on at this forum evolves, I'm becoming more and more convinced that the focus is now based on a lowest common denominator way of viewing people. Either that or tightassedness, or both. That certainly takes much of the fun out of the place but to a limited degree it sets the stage for drama down the road (as the number of visitors dwindles).

For fun maybe someone could start a thread where we can all talk about the color of our trucks.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Senior Board Member

When did MrFord become a MOD??? This is news to me lol

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Board Icon

Like a little over a month ago Mack. Believe you me, that does suck!! I have found out that nobody is happy with whatever you do as a Mod.:lol: No wonder Twi gave it up.:batman: I'm trying to find my way in this new territory and yet nobody wants to cut me any slack for it. Even when I try to make amends it does no good with some.

Trust me Michigan bud, I'm not being as overbearing/tightwad as you might be led to believe. You should have been here when another poster was running this insane asylum, if you disagreed with him your post might disappear. If you continued on you might disappear. It was his way or the highway and he ran off a good number of decent, like-able members. All I've done is give a couple of slaps on the wrist(3 to be exact), closed one thread that was resolved, moved two or three other threads to better locations and banned a known spammer. If that is being overbearing then I'm sorry man because that's being very non-overbearing IMO. I promised you in PM's that this was about how I was going to Mod, give warnings instead of bans unless it's something really egregious and might move a thread or two if it ends up in the wrong area. I've done exactly as I promised you and now you don't like it................what's changed man, you seemed ok with that promise when I made it. I know I made a mistake on your one thread and I rectified it along with an apology yet it seems your holding a grudge against me for that still. Shoot me a PM if you want, my box is always open to discuss things like this.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlie View Post
It does suck...

People get off topic all the time, its spicey and fun. At least for someone with undiagnoised adhd. I think moderating takes a finese that you have to temper your power with allowing people to sound off and then move on. It only serves to inflame people when you drop the hammer and cut them off.

Allow people to get things off their chest and then roll off their backs..... For me personally I get invested in my comments. Though I don't necessarily subscribe to the same theories that Timber/Kentla does on all issues. We are both passionate, which makes us valuable to the forum as an entertainment factor . Things to consider before locking the next harmless thread. A simple reminder to stay on task or whatever. But CAD, no longer having the traffic that it once did, doesn't need to run off any more of its regulars. Thank you.

~S
Welcome to the add club :P
Old 09-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Like a little over a month ago Mack. Believe you me, that does suck!! I have found out that nobody is happy with whatever you do as a Mod.:lol: No wonder Twi gave it up.:batman: I'm trying to find my way in this new territory and yet nobody wants to cut me any slack for it. Even when I try to make amends it does no good with some.

Trust me Michigan bud, I'm not being as overbearing/tightwad as you might be led to believe. You should have been here when another poster was running this insane asylum, if you disagreed with him your post might disappear. If you continued on you might disappear. It was his way or the highway and he ran off a good number of decent, like-able members. All I've done is give a couple of slaps on the wrist(3 to be exact), closed one thread that was resolved, moved two or three other threads to better locations and banned a known spammer. If that is being overbearing then I'm sorry man because that's being very non-overbearing IMO. I promised you in PM's that this was about how I was going to Mod, give warnings instead of bans unless it's something really egregious and might move a thread or two if it ends up in the wrong area. I've done exactly as I promised you and now you don't like it................what's changed man, you seemed ok with that promise when I made it. I know I made a mistake on your one thread and I rectified it along with an apology yet it seems your holding a grudge against me for that still. Shoot me a PM if you want, my box is always open to discuss things like this.
You Lie! you are an evil dictator an i have had to hide my ip to run from you!! j/k :P Yea i know how it can be a challenge to keep peeps happy, i think the trick is to not get over-zealous on using those powers. It also helps when a new mod/admin is actually a known figure on the forum and not someone dropping from the sky proclaiming to be your new boss.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post

Whoa! Hold on there!

The only thing I have against you Ford, is your misguided politics. It's completely understandable that you feel like you're being targeted. You're not, at least not by me. You happened to get modded at the same time that the people that run this forum decided to take the forum in another, apparently much more serious and focused direction. If they just want this to be a place where jobs are posted and perhaps mechanical problems are sorted out, it's their call. It might be a little "dry" and uninteresting. It certainly wouldn't be a site that the average driver would visit looking for a laugh or a chance to vent.

The flipping the bird thread was 90% just having a little fun and about 10% serious request. I didn't think an emoticon would happen and I was right. I know the thread had gotten off topic in a political way but that was handled and the last few posts were just people having a little fun. I can't see anything wrong with that and if anyone complained about it then they need to start using a radio metaphor with forums (and probably life in general). When you don't like what's on one channel, don't tune it in! Tune in another channel instead.

My venting in this thread is also partly due to the fact that with 2 threads I started being "managed", it's becoming a trend.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Senior Board Member

yes no more joking in here michigan driver,it now not allowed .have to get back to diesel and grease topics