Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 125% Tax Increase On Truckers

Truckers insulted by 125 percent tax increase in NY-NJ

By David Tanner, Land Line associate editor

The governors of New York and New Jersey vowed not to raise taxes, but that’s precisely what has happened in a deal struck Friday with the local port authority to increase truck tolls by 125 percent and car tolls by 67 percent. The fast-tracked plan has left truckers with feelings of betrayal as only a fraction of the new revenue will be used to improve infrastructure.

As part of the plan, the $40 truck toll on the George Washington Bridge will become $50 on Sept. 1 of this year. Then the truck rate will increase $10 each December from 2012 through 2015, ending up at $90. That amounts to a 125 percent increase by 2015.
And that’s for the E-ZPass customers. Cash customers will make out much worse. In addition to the $10 increase each year, cash customers will be forced to pay an additional “penalty” of $3 per axle, according to the agreement reached Friday, Aug. 19, between the governors and the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey.

The icing on the cake is that just $9 billion of the proposed $33 billion in estimated new revenue will actually go to fix up the facilities. The rest goes into capital improvements and economic development that have little if anything to do with toll bridges.
“The trucking industry is not going to benefit from this toll increase,” said small-business owner and OOIDA Member Jim Ellis, of Asbury, NJ, who attended a hearing this week in Newark.

He said truckers attempting to speak in protest during the hearings were harassed and intimidated by port authority workers who showed up in droves in matching orange shirts.

“I put my effort into it, but they’re not going to listen to anybody on the trucking side,” he said. “I can’t afford to absorb this. The trucking industry is not getting any respect like we should, and that was shown the other day.”

According to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, the capital improvement plan funded by the toll increase will create and preserve thousands of jobs. It will continue funding billions of dollars for the World Trade Center site and other efforts to draw economic development to the region.

But using toll increases to fund economic development projects doesn’t sit well with highway users.
Gail Toth, president of the New Jersey Motor Truck Association, says highway users should not be forced to shoulder the burden for economic development of the region just because they drive across certain bridges to do their jobs.

“This should be an insult to the American people, not just to the American trucker,” Toth said.
“They’re making the toll payers a different class of citizen and saying those citizens should be taxed more just because they use a bridge,” Toth said. “When did toll payers become responsible for the economic development for a city or for a 20-mile radius of a bridge?”
Toth said one of her association’s members, a small carrier, currently pays $160,000 a month in tolls to deliver food into New York. She can’t imagine how a company like that will absorb a 125 percent increase.

“There’s been so much coming down on our industry, I don’t know how much more our guys can take,” she said.
“For the money the truckers have paid to the port authority over the years, we should have a gold-plated bridge.”
The light at the end of the tunnel is not the brightest, either, she adds. In 2008, then New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine implemented a multi-phase toll increase on the nearby New Jersey Turnpike system.

“I tell my members, ‘Don’t forget, you’ve also got a 50 percent increase coming on the turnpike from the 2008 Corzine increase,’” Toth said.
That will also affect Ellis, who uses both the turnpike and port authority facilities in his work runs. He says by the time he adds up all the tolls, a single run through New Jersey and New York will likely cost $300 a pop.
“This is going to kill a lot of small businesses,” he said.

Copyright
© OOIDA
Old 08-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Wow. I guess that means freight rates in the northeast are going to have to be adjusted!! What do you think? Will they drop to 89 cents per mile to make up for the increased cost? Or will they drop to 64 cents per mile?
Old 08-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I find it interesting that much of this money goes for "economic development" yet this type of action works against attracting business to the area. It may have the opposite effect and push more businesses to move out of the state. If they want to stimulate economic development they should eliminate those tolls. Those bridges and roadways have been paid for many times over. If I lived in those areas, I would be asking what happened to the money that they have been collecting. Anyone who travels in in the area knows that they are NOT spending it on road repair or maintenance. I would not be surprised if they did try to drop rates. We need to just stay out of New York and New Jersey and see how they like getting fewer taxes rather than more. I took an over size into New York a few months ago and they charge me $120 just to cross the GW. That is already triple the rate charged for trucks that are not pulling over sized. If that is increased along with the other tolls it will cost close to $300 to cross one bridge.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Rookie

My father was driven out of his home of 35 years because of NY property taxes. Businesses are fleeing NY in droves because of outrageously high taxes. A pack of smokes costs like 15 bucks in NY now, for chrissake. $1 for the tobacco, $14 for taxes! Greed and corruption have run NY into the ground and the only solution they can come up with is to keep on raising taxes on every damn thing they can think of. Any day now they'll be taxing their air supply. This is why I left NY and why I'll never go back. I'd call for a national boycott on NY except we might still need the NYSE for something. What exactly, I'm not sure.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:53 AM
Senior Board Member

It's only 125% ! We gotta pay the welfare queens and state retiree's somehow
Old 08-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Senior Board Member

In all fairness this is an increase of FEES, in lieu of increasing taxes on people who can afford to pay more, to shore up budgets on the backs of the working people.
Gman is right, that bridge has been paid for many times over and is the property of the people of the state, but that bridge is in constant need of repair, so some fees would have to be charged for its use OR come out of the budget of the state. But nooo, we cant make wall street pay for it (sarcasm).
Old 09-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Maryland is raising it's tolls as well.
Tunnels will be 25 bucks and susquehanna bridge will be 48 bucks. I think the bay bridge will be 48 bucks as well, not real sure.
I just won't go up there. I wrote in during the comment period, probably won't do much good though.

Eventually, these politicians will reap what they sow.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Things will change if people refuse to go certaint places. I know there is always gonna be some bottom of the barrel driver that does whatever he or she is told, but the majority of drivers who have a backbone could change things
Old 09-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The only thing these people seem to listen to is when their pocketbooks are affected. I agree, if we stop going they will probably want to do a multimillion dollar study to find out why people stopped going to those areas after they raised taxes once again (remember Ohio?). Some of those toll roads and bridges are not owned by the governments but private enterprises. I know the government gets a cut, but the majority will likely go to the one who owns the road or bridge.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Erm THIS IS A FEE NOT A TAX. This is what happens when you allow government to sell off the commons to private business, esp foreign interests with no accountablility to us and establish monopolies...we get screwed.

Last edited by One; 09-04-2011 at 09:20 PM.