User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Truck vs the garage

I think I've done worn my truck out. For the 1st 12 months, it was a great truck - no problems with it whatsoever. Well, that's changed. In the past, hmmm, 2-3 months, I've had this happen:
  • EGR Cooler blew apart - downtime 12hrs
  • Starter - downtime 8hrs (lucky enough to be sitting at one of our shops when it died)
  • Electric fuel pump (secondary pump, I think) - downtime 18hrs
  • A/C - 1st time - downtime 2.5 days - front half of the a/c system completely rebuilt
  • A/C - 2nd time (5 days after the 1st time) - downtime 2.5 days - Entire system had to be rebuilt, all new sensors & compressor. They didn't flush it out the 1st time around
  • Turbo - downtime 18hrs and counting. One week ago Cummins said there was nothing wrong with a turbo making a sound comparable to a cat being slowly lowered into a running blender.

When I put the truck in the shop yesterday for the turbo, scheduled PM, a set of wiper blades and a tire replacement, the shop asked if there was any other issues. Well, ya, there's a few, but I won't let them do the repairs because I need to drive, damnit - I've done enough sitting around in the garages lately:
  • Door mirrors shake like they're going to fall off. I have short bungies wrapped around the top braces to keep them somewhat stable.
  • Right CB antenna brackets inside the mirror "fell off" - antenna is just laying in the mirror. No worries - I use my own setup.
  • Massive water leak coming through the windshield in heavy rain. Duct tape is a Godsend.
  • Hood still needs replaced from when I was backed into over a year ago. It's intact, but has a massive gash in the front-left corner.
  • FM antenna snapped off. This happened when I touched it with a squeegee while cleaning the windshield.
  • Cab airbag leaks occasionally (but never when I'm sitting at a shop).
  • Front bumper paint is about 50% missing. When I got the truck 200k miles ago, it was missing about 5%.
What's bad is that we're getting a lot of 2012 Prostars in, and that truck assignments said that if I wanted a new truck, get routed into Indy. The last time I was in Indy (just over a week ago), the shop was full of the new trucks that are absolute garbage. They're having major problems with the A/C systems, the dog-box style auxillary A/C's, and the engines (the new MaxForce). The Greensboro shop said that they've heard of 3 or 4 of the new trucks that have had the engines destroy themselves already.

Can't win, can ya?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
I think I've done worn my truck out. For the 1st 12 months, it was a great truck - no problems with it whatsoever. Well, that's changed. In the past, hmmm, 2-3 months, I've had this happen:
  • EGR Cooler blew apart - downtime 12hrs
  • Starter - downtime 8hrs (lucky enough to be sitting at one of our shops when it died)
  • Electric fuel pump (secondary pump, I think) - downtime 18hrs
  • A/C - 1st time - downtime 2.5 days - front half of the a/c system completely rebuilt
  • A/C - 2nd time (5 days after the 1st time) - downtime 2.5 days - Entire system had to be rebuilt, all new sensors & compressor. They didn't flush it out the 1st time around
  • Turbo - downtime 18hrs and counting. One week ago Cummins said there was nothing wrong with a turbo making a sound comparable to a cat being slowly lowered into a running blender.

When I put the truck in the shop yesterday for the turbo, scheduled PM, a set of wiper blades and a tire replacement, the shop asked if there was any other issues. Well, ya, there's a few, but I won't let them do the repairs because I need to drive, damnit - I've done enough sitting around in the garages lately:
  • Door mirrors shake like they're going to fall off. I have short bungies wrapped around the top braces to keep them somewhat stable.
  • Right CB antenna brackets inside the mirror "fell off" - antenna is just laying in the mirror. No worries - I use my own setup.
  • Massive water leak coming through the windshield in heavy rain. Duct tape is a Godsend.
  • Hood still needs replaced from when I was backed into over a year ago. It's intact, but has a massive gash in the front-left corner.
  • FM antenna snapped off. This happened when I touched it with a squeegee while cleaning the windshield.
  • Cab airbag leaks occasionally (but never when I'm sitting at a shop).
  • Front bumper paint is about 50% missing. When I got the truck 200k miles ago, it was missing about 5%.
What's bad is that we're getting a lot of 2012 Prostars in, and that truck assignments said that if I wanted a new truck, get routed into Indy. The last time I was in Indy (just over a week ago), the shop was full of the new trucks that are absolute garbage. They're having major problems with the A/C systems, the dog-box style auxillary A/C's, and the engines (the new MaxForce). The Greensboro shop said that they've heard of 3 or 4 of the new trucks that have had the engines destroy themselves already.

Can't win, can ya?
Quit. Just Quit........Yer bit*chun!!!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm a trucker, damnit. If I wasn't bit*chun, I'd explode!!!

Turbo was actually just the turbo gasket. I guess none of the mechanics prior to last night's could see the huge black section on the red engine.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Turbo was actually just the turbo gasket. I guess none of the mechanics prior to last night's could see the huge black section on the red engine.

Thatz cuz it was dark....and they was thinkun that Cummins makes red engines wit black spotz.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Thats the old Cummins Dalmation model, it can be a real dog but better hang onto that one it's a lot better than the new ones!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Senior Board Member

LOL - didn't know I was driving an endangered species.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Senior Board Member

You might have gotten a lemon (or I was just lucky).

I had an A/C failure and the starter failed.

Of course for every single one of my 322,700 miles the truck pulled to the right and now my left shoulder is not good. BTW, if it makes you feel better, my new truck pulls to the right too. lol
Old 08-18-2011, 02:32 AM
Senior Board Member

That's what's bad - my truck wasn't a lemon until just a couple of months ago. Before that, the only reason it saw the shop was for it's scheduled pm's. I think I had a couple of very minor issues that were taken care of during those, but nothing mechanical/electrical.

Maybe that's why Celadon seems to pull the trucks off the road @ 350k miles - that's when the ProStars are worn out (guessing).
Old 08-18-2011, 03:30 AM
Senior Board Member

if it makes you feel any better, my odometer quit, now my truck is ungoverned
Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock View Post
if it makes you feel any better, my odometer quit, now my truck is ungoverned
CAREFUL just cause the odometer isn't working dosn't mean the ECM dosn't know about your overspeed! Care to guess how I know?