User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2011, 02:56 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Average age of drivers nowadays.

Since I got back into the seat about 5 months ago, I've noticed that I rarely meet any drivers under 30 yrs of age wherever I go.
I'll get a handful that were born in the 70s and 60s, but I've been coming across many that have fought in or protested the Vietnam War.
Is there something about this industry that keeps the boomers around that I don't know about, or is that many have been doing this for so long that this is pretty much all they know now?

That said, I'm still under 30, but find myself having more in common with the older generation.
I guess that's mainly because I never bought into any of the newfound radicalism and fast-paced lifestyle that people my age or younger tend to enjoy.
Essentially, a 70 yr old trapped in a 27 yr old body.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:18 AM
Senior Board Member

I still run into alot of younger guys driving dump trucks and doing more local driving. I think the younger guys like the local stuff cuz they can be home on the weekends and party and have a life. Thats why i never went OTR. Well that and the money also sucks if you ask me.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 05-20-2011, 03:18 AM
Senior Board Member

BTW im 27 too.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 05-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I feel the other way around! All sorts of things just don't work like they used to!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Senior Board Member

I do more of a regional thing where I stick to the deserts(So.CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM) and feel just fine in those places due to my affinity for the red and brown colorings all around.
As far as local driving is concerned, I'd do it anywhere but CA.
The traffic intensity in the LA and Nay Areas would anger a Happy Meal!!
Old 05-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
BTW im 27 too.

Bragbragbrag
Old 05-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Since I got back into the seat about 5 months ago, I've noticed that I rarely meet any drivers under 30 yrs of age wherever I go.
I'll get a handful that were born in the 70s and 60s, but I've been coming across many that have fought in or protested the Vietnam War.
Is there something about this industry that keeps the boomers around that I don't know about, or is that many have been doing this for so long that this is pretty much all they know now?

That said, I'm still under 30, but find myself having more in common with the older generation.
I guess that's mainly because I never bought into any of the newfound radicalism and fast-paced lifestyle that people my age or younger tend to enjoy.
Now don't go rushing things young man. You'll be decrepit soon enough.

So here I am, I'm in my new house with a long weekend and tons of projects to tackle.

Item #1. WCSX is the local classics rock station where I live and I haven't listened to them in ages. You know you're way past your prime when the station playing music from when you were rocking runs ads just about non stop for "The Hair Club For Men". Oh man that hurts. And then there was Scotts grass seed having an ad war with some upstart company - yup that put me in the mood for some Zeppelin. The rest of the commercials seemed to be geared to small business - "Is not getting the loan you need killing your business?". I was so caught up in the rock magic by then I almost did a couple of tabs so I could be closer to God.

Item #2. Hanging a few sheets of pegboard shouldn't hurt like this. :rofl:

Ignore the advice of this old man at your own peril.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
Now don't go rushing things young man. You'll be decrepit soon enough.

So here I am, I'm in my new house with a long weekend and tons of projects to tackle.

Item #1. WCSX is the local classics rock station where I live and I haven't listened to them in ages. You know you're way past your prime when the station playing music from when you were rocking runs ads just about non stop for "The Hair Club For Men". Oh man that hurts. And then there was Scotts grass seed having an ad war with some upstart company - yup that put me in the mood for some Zeppelin. The rest of the commercials seemed to be geared to small business - "Is not getting the loan you need killing your business?". I was so caught up in the rock magic by then I almost did a couple of tabs so I could be closer to God.

Item #2. Hanging a few sheets of pegboard shouldn't hurt like this. :rofl:

Ignore the advice of this old man at your own peril.
Well, now that you say it like that, I tend to think I was brought up a little more differently than the rest.
The way I see it, people my age from the mountain and mid-west states tend to act a tad more behaved and realistic than the current place I've been residing in since I was four.
As far as getting old is concerned, I'm a little grim and sort of don't want to go on forever.

Die young (30-45) and go out in a blaze of glory? Or live to be 80+ and hooked to tubes/dealing with reduced care due to budget cuts.
I guess there's more to fear in getting old than dealing with young punks on the lawn and incontinence products.
The way I see it, the senior citizens of right-now are having it pretty good.
The way things are being eaten away right now, I wouldn't be surprised if most of us in the younger crowd decide upon some "Logans Run" system to quell fears.

I'll step off the laundry baskette now.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Well, now that you say it like that, I tend to think I was brought up a little more differently than the rest.
The way I see it, people my age from the mountain and mid-west states tend to act a tad more behaved and realistic than the current place I've been residing in since I was four.
As far as getting old is concerned, I'm a little grim and sort of don't want to go on forever.

Die young (30-45) and go out in a blaze of glory? Or live to be 80+ and hooked to tubes/dealing with reduced care due to budget cuts.
I guess there's more to fear in getting old than dealing with young punks on the lawn and incontinence products.
The way I see it, the senior citizens of right-now are having it pretty good.
The way things are being eaten away right now, I wouldn't be surprised if most of us in the younger crowd decide upon some "Logans Run" system to quell fears.

I'll step off the laundry baskette now.
:hellno: :hellno: :hellno:

Dang kid. I just sat here sipping on my second cup of coffee.......trying to remember exactly what it was that I was thinking about.......27 years ago! It damn sure wasn't dying. I think...I'm not certain mind you....but I think it was.........:love: :love: "Which girl looks best in a bikini" :love: :love:....or something along those lines. I was doing a lot of work in California at that age....and was enjoying my "nights off" at places like "The Palomino Club" in Pasadena, "The Silver Bullet" in Downey....chasing after the "LA Cowgirl" set........or down in "Mardi Gras" in Long Beach or "Citi Lites" in New Port....chasing after the "Wannabe a Valley Girl" set.............Or just hanging around Bakersfield at "Todd's" enjoying life as part of "The Meat Market", playing with the "Mature" set.

At that age, I was spending days off snorkeling up at Monterrey......laying around on Pismo.........Malibu....."The Pier" at Santa Monica.....roller blading on the walk at Long Beach Park........hanging at Huntington Beach...La Jolla...New Port..and even San Juan Capistrano.........some of the "Brainy Chicks" that hung around there sunning and reading, really made "one-piece" swimsuits look awesome!

I know that a lot of the club names have changed....the "scenes" have changed.....the clientele has changed.....but one thing is certain....the girls are still pretty in California....and they still enjoy being chased.

:tears: :tears: :tears: Sitting here sipping coffee.......I wish I had "those days" back sometimes! At least.......I would love to have that "body" back! Somewhere around "40-ish".......I dropped the barbells and stopped paying "Bally's" to help keep me looking like that. BIG mistake....BIG!! Ending my career working in the oilfield didn't help any to much either. Until a few years ago, I never realized exactly how much I benefited from all the hard work I did on the ranch and in the oilfield. Aaaaaaaaaaaw well....we all have regrets.

:hellno: :hellno: :hellno:

Kid....You gotta stop moaning about "misfortune" and get your butt out there and make a life. There are decent driving jobs.....hell.....there are decent "non-driving" jobs..... in California, that would allow you to have fun, and build a future....but they are jobs you have to chase....just like the girls that are worthwhile....they aren't gonna just sit down in your lap.

As far as being "80+" and hooked up to tubes and dealing with "reduced health care"......For crying outloud.....YOU are 27......worry about being "80".......in 40 odd years or so!!

:bow: :bow: :bow:I know a young man, whom turned 90, just yesterday. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Yes...he has his health issues. But the man still has a clear and brilliant mind. He has a great sense of humor. And best of all......He has stories worth hearing. Stories of his experiences in World War II. Stories of his career at NASA. Stories of his career helping build the "tele-communication" industry. He has those stories, because he stepped out, and grasped LIFE!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Hey Tex, if my life somehow turns into a B movie plot and I get a do-over, would you live it again for me?

:thumbsup: