User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I hope someone gets a hold of the tower conversations....and puts it up on YouTube

Old 04-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hobo, it can 853 if the drop the classes. With classes it's only 525 people, still a heck of a lot of people. As for the taxi lanes, yes, the FAA is apparently going to take another look at that particulary at JFK. They only have 65' wide lanes and the FAA assumed it would be ok because nobody really knows how much it really needs until it hits something. It's wingspan is 261 feet, overall length is 238 ft. No telling how high the cockpit is, it lists the overall height at 80 ft, it lists the outside fuselage height as 27 ft. I reckon that's from the ground to the belly of the plane? What's scary is the Russian's have a plane that is even bigger.

Qauntico has a C-5 come in all the time, that thing is a monster from a long ways away as it flies over. It usually goes over my grandparents farm on approach about 2K feet high. Doesn't look right seeing that big of a plane going overhead.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Senior Board Member

C-5/B and a Russian Anotov 225. I don't know the particular's for the Russian plane, but the C-5 has a gross takeoff weight of 769,000lbs. It can hold up to 52,000 gals of fuel. 28 tires. The engines on this C-5 are the old ones. 41,000lbs of thrust each. They are Re-powering the fleet with new more powerful, more efficient, quieter engines now, they will be C-5/M's

Last edited by robertt; 04-13-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Hobo, it can 853 if the drop the classes. With classes it's only 525 people, still a heck of a lot of people. As for the taxi lanes, yes, the FAA is apparently going to take another look at that particulary at JFK. They only have 65' wide lanes and the FAA assumed it would be ok because nobody really knows how much it really needs until it hits something. It's wingspan is 261 feet, overall length is 238 ft. No telling how high the cockpit is, it lists the overall height at 80 ft, it lists the outside fuselage height as 27 ft. I reckon that's from the ground to the belly of the plane? What's scary is the Russian's have a plane that is even bigger.

Qauntico has a C-5 come in all the time, that thing is a monster from a long ways away as it flies over. It usually goes over my grandparents farm on approach about 2K feet high. Doesn't look right seeing that big of a plane going overhead.

This report has a good explaination of what might have happened!

JKF Airport Accident: Planes Bump
Old 04-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertt View Post

C-5/B and a Russian Anotov 225
The Galaxy is way more impressive! Especially when 2 M1A1 tanks drive out of it! Have seen both planes side-by-side at McCord AFB in Tacoma WA before.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
This report has a good explaination of what might have happened!

JKF Airport Accident: Planes Bump
Great story. I figured one of the explanations was that the commuter jet had stopped short of where he was suppose to be.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertt View Post
Great story. I figured one of the explanations was that the commuter jet had stopped short of where he was suppose to be.
IF he did stop short because of a 4-wheeler....then there will be someone looking for work...because all traffic is supposed to yield to aircraft....last I knew. I used to know a lot of pilots at SeaTac.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
IF he did stop short because of a 4-wheeler....then there will be someone looking for work...because all traffic is supposed to yield to aircraft....last I knew. I used to know a lot of pilots at SeaTac.
Your are correct. The #1 thing that is stressed when you have an airfield driving liscense, on a military installation anyway, is AIRPLANES COME FIRST! Whether they are being towed or they are taxiing you better get out of the way. I just know from having a liscense on an AFB, I don't know what the training or requirements are for Commercial airports are. From what I have seen in the past and heard about, they just kinda get in and drive around wherever they need to go with a pat on the head and "look out for the planes".

For us it's pretty strict training and testing. We have to know what all of the signs and markings mean on the airfield that the pilots use as well, and you have to be able to communicate on the radio too because your on the same frequency that the pilots are on. It's not just hey I'm going here or I need to do this or that, there is a very strict protocol to follow or you answer to the "Airfield Manager" or as we affectionatley refer to them as, "The Ramp Nazi". Even when I'm running engines on an aircraft we have to monitor the Ground frequency AND monitor all of your gauges and pay attention to the task at hand. It can get quite busy, especially if you have a bunch of planes doing touch and goes.

Even with all of the "safeguards" and training that the Bases have their are still runway incursions, and there is always some idiot who wants to drive behing you when you are running engines at power, but when we run we have a ground person we are communicating with so we can usally avoid anything bad, but bad things do happen every once in a while.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:45 AM
Board Icon

Mr. Ford said:

Quote:
Hobo, it can 853 if the drop the classes. With classes it's only 525 people, still a heck of a lot of people.
853.... that's the number I heard. I'm not arguing ANY facts, cuz I'm just going by what I remember on the radio yesterday but...

Quote:
As for the taxi lanes, yes, the FAA is apparently going to take another look at that particulary at JFK. They only have 65' wide lanes and the FAA assumed it would be ok because nobody really knows how much it really needs until it hits something.
Only 65 feet? You sure? Or could that be left and right of center. At any rate, the real problem is when it gets where the taxi lanes meet the tarmac. I also heard that the FAA had to give exemptions to most airports to let the beast land!

Quote:
It's wingspan is 261 feet,
Yeah, I couldn't remember the exact number, but I calculated it to be about 10 yards short of a touchdown! :lol:

I also heard that it's wings hung over the RUNWAYS by 90 ft on either side! Of course, runways are wider than taxiways aren't they?

Quote:
What's scary is the Russian's have a plane that is even bigger.
Are you sure? I thought I remembered that the Russian's built a plane larger than our C-5 (I guess that would be the Antonov 225?).... but I swear I heard several times yesterday that the Airbus 380 is the largest in the world!

For robertt:

What is that aircraft going into the C-5? I recognize it and should know it... but, I'm drawing a blank. Isn't that one of the Navy's SAR choppers? Don't laugh at me for being wrong!

I remember back when the C-5 first came out.... I think I was statioined in Greece. Anyways..... I saw them pull FIVE F-5's out of the belly!!! Wings tied back, of course. We were selling them to the locals. The F-5 [Talon??] is a small plane.... but still!!! :eek2:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
What is that aircraft going into the C-5? I recognize it and should know it... but, I'm drawing a blank. Isn't that one of the Navy's SAR choppers? Don't laugh at me for being wrong!
MH-53 PAVE LOW, it can hold up to 55 troops and this one belongs to the USAF. The Navy has their version and so do the Marines. A C-5 can carry 2 of these. They have to pull the motor or rotor head out of the top if it because it's too tall to fit otherwise. It's what they used to pull the mine sweepers back in the 80's in the Persian Gulf.