User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Maybe we *should* clean the snow off

Perhaps things like this video are the reasons behind the northern states wanting trucks to be cleared off:

Icy accident caught on tape

Damnit - wrong video - the one I wanted to post is a truck going under an overpass with about 4ft of snow on the roof. It's like a snow explosion.

Here's the correct one: http://www.weather.com/outlook/video...off-semi-19594

Last edited by Malaki86; 02-10-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't know about you, but there is NO way that I would risk my life by getting on top of an icy trailer to get snow and ice off. If these states want trailers cleaned off then perhaps they should provide a way for drivers to drive through something that can scrap it off. In reality, if cars didn't get so close to trucks it would be a non issue. I think that it would be more of a hazard for a driver to get on top of a trailer and try to scrape the ice and snow off than it would for the wind to do the job. That video shows an unusual amount of snow on a trailer. I am surprised that the trailer didn't cave in with so much weight. Vans are not designed to support a lot of weight on the roof. Unless a driver in a 4 wheeler is a total mental amoeba he would stay back from a trailer that had a lot of snow on the roof.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I don't know about you, but there is NO way that I would risk my life by getting on top of an icy trailer to get snow and ice off. If these states want trailers cleaned off then perhaps they should provide a way for drivers to drive through something that can scrap it off. In reality, if cars didn't get so close to trucks it would be a non issue. I think that it would be more of a hazard for a driver to get on top of a trailer and try to scrape the ice and snow off than it would for the wind to do the job. That video shows an unusual amount of snow on a trailer. I am surprised that the trailer didn't cave in with so much weight. Vans are not designed to support a lot of weight on the roof. Unless a driver in a 4 wheeler is a total mental amoeba he would stay back from a trailer that had a lot of snow on the roof.
Really? A non-issue? Four wheelers should stay back?

Ok, explain this one: A few years ago, a piece of ice came off a truck traveling west bound on the PA pike and slammed through the front window of an east bound truck. Is that a non-issue?

I do agree, however, that the states that made these "feel good" laws should have also came up with a good idea on how this should be accomplished.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 02-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Senior Board Member

I know you'll never find me on the roof of a snow covered truck. I've had a roof collapse from the weight of the snow alone.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R View Post
Really? A non-issue? Four wheelers should stay back?

Ok, explain this one: A few years ago, a piece of ice came off a truck traveling west bound on the PA pike and slammed through the front window of an east bound truck. Is that a non-issue?

I do agree, however, that the states that made these "feel good" laws should have also came up with a good idea on how this should be accomplished.

Most of the time when I have seen snow or ice fly off of a truck it goes back rather than to the side. No amount of legislation will ever make the public 100% safe. You may be able to take some of the risk out, but you will NEVER be able to make everyone completely safe. It would be good if these legislators could consider how people can comply with laws before they decide to implement them. There is much more risk for a driver getting on top of one of those icy or snow packed trailers than it is to the public from snow flying off the top.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Senior Board Member

OSHA law requires fall restraints above 4ft and at a certain height also require side railings. So, until those are provided to me, hell no.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
OSHA law requires fall restraints above 4ft and at a certain height also require side railings. So, until those are provided to me, hell no.
You are correct Mal, maybe this needs to be brought to the attention of the lawmakers and DOT. If OSHA were to see you up there, they could stop and fine you the driver for being up there and the company you drive for. What about flatbeds though? On a normal load they can be standing 12 feet in the air with no safety harness or side railings. What they ought to look into is what 2 of the quarries I run in and out of have for snow removal by the driver. It meets OSHA specs, it's a staircase to no where that allows you to pull your truck under so you can move gravel if you need to. No climbing up the side of the truck is allowed on the quarry property.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Senior Board Member

It was quit clear that the car had to of known the snow on top of that trailer was going to be flying off .... that's got to be the reason they had a camera on the semi...... they could of got just as good of a picture if they stayed farer behind the truck ... that was a dumb move on the 4wheelers decision ... lucky for them it was mostly snow and not solid ice ... ! I've seen that happen before .... not a pretty picture.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Board Icon

4 Wheelers are dumb/ignorant anyways. Dad had a car on the last 5 incher we had here who got right up on his tail. Next thing he knew they flipped their high beams on and backed off some so he could only guess that some snow flew off the roof. Few miles later the fool cuts his high beams off and pulls right back up to his tail again. All of a sudden the high beams pop on and the car is basically stopped behind him. Car never got that close again.