User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default You're good at internet search right? Right?

This should be simple. I would like to create a list of trucking companies (specifically auto transport but all trucking companies would be easier) in an area. A state eg "Missouri" or a region eg "se Missouri" or a county eg "Cape Girardeau county, Missouri". I've got friends in Cape Girardeau, MO and I'm considering moving there so I'm wondering if I can find a job within driving distance but it doesn't have to be in Cape Girardeau, 30 - 45 miles away would be good enough.

Yellow pages style sites operate at the city level. Same with Yahoo->Local. There are sites that are essentially listing services that list companies for a fee that let you do a state-wide search, but I'm not looking for a subset of trucking companies, I'm trying to get near 100%.

The best luck I've had so far is searching on Business Directory USA and copying the results to Excel where I massaged the data into a csv file that MS Streets & Trips can import so then I was able to visually see what companies were within driving distance. Thought that was a pretty good solution until I stumbled on another listing site that listed companies the first site didn't and vice versa.

Any ideas? Easy problem for you Google Search gurus I'm thinking :smokin:

Edit: Just to be clear - if I had sql access to a database of trucking companies in the US I'd type in something like SELECT ALL FROM TRUCKING_COMPANIES WHERE STATE='MO', import into Streets & Trips and go knock on some doors.

Last edited by MichiganDriver; 11-13-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Well I'll be dipped in shiit. The public library rocks. Anybody looking for the same kind of info just needs to log into their public library online and find the link to "ReferenceUSA". ReferenceUSA's page is slick. I entered a zip code for Cape Girardeau and told it to give me transport companies in a 50 mile radius and got 16 pages of listings. Very cool!