User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 02:17 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

$750 to replace the batteries?? Dag gum!! I'd hate to have them work on something major!! :hellno:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 11-14-2010, 04:11 AM
Senior Board Member

That was why I specifically said the 2nd time they went out was Labor Day. The garage was closed, so they had to pay a premium to have their on-call mechanics sent out and work on the truck.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Almost forgot another wonderful "company uses their brains" moment.

When I got the truck April 1st, it had brand new steer tires on it. The drives weren't bad, but a set of duals had a flat/bald section on it (looked like that wheel locked up). So, they put a new set of used rubber on that set of duals. Over time, it was quite apparent that the rear axles were out of alignment. It only took me 4 or 5 months of getting 1-2 tires replaced every 2-3 weeks before they finally listened to me and sent the truck in for the alignment at a Wingfoot dealer. After it was done, the mechanic called into breakdown and told Celadon that even though the drives (all of them) were still technically legal, they should all be replaced. Nope - didn't happen.

Well, because I was still driving on badly cupped tires, they just kept eating each other up. I continued for a couple more months of the same 1-2 tires every 2-3 weeks. When I went into Indy for my PM, I mentioned the tires to the shop manager and also the mechanic doing the pm. The mechanic marked all of the tread depths (which were all over the place) and noted on the paperwork that the truck needed all 8 drives replaced. They put 1 on.

About 2-3 weeks later, I had a tire that cupped itself into horrible condition. You know the feeling of a high-speed vibration (well, if 62mph is high speed). So, I go to the Waxahachie terminal where they have Wingfoot on site. They replaced the 1 tire. Not only that, but there was at least a 1/2" tread depth difference on the duals.

Fast forward another 2-3 weeks and the last tire they put on was now just as worn, cupped and crappy as the one he'd taken off. I was going into Laredo, so after I dropped the trailer I went to the shop. I had the shop foreman come out and inspect my tires - he didn't want to, but I didn't give him much choice. He took 1 glance at them and sent me directly to the Wingfoot in Laredo for all 8 tires, plus another alignment (it was in spec, but they wanted to be sure). I haven't had a tire problem since.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Senior Board Member

heh, imagine that. They did the PM and told me the batteries weren't bad last night, well this morning they are jumping the truck and replaceing the batteries. Lucky for them I am still at the terminal
Old 11-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Senior Board Member

LOL - wonder if they tested yours the same way I've seen them test mine:

At the beginning of the PM, hook up the big battery charger and leave it run for the duration of the PM. Once done with the PM, disconnect the charger and test the battery voltage.

Ya - I don't quite think that's a proper way to load test the batteries.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Senior Board Member

heh, i didn't hang around for the duration but it was hooked up to the battery charger, sure they have a good charge in the beginning but test it out 6 hours later and I'm sure they will see the difference. oh well, machines never lie right, lol. the fact that I drive the truck and turn it off then 6 to 9 hours later I can't start the truck must be user error, lol.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Senior Board Member

See - now you're learning!!!

Not sure how they tested yours after your PM, but for mine, he just hooked up a voltmeter to the battery bank. He didn't disconnect the batteries and load test each one.

The *only* thing that breakdown asked with the 2nd jumpstart was what I had left running in the truck. She didn't say anything when I said "Only the bunk heater that you installed so we don't idle."
Old 11-15-2010, 01:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
The *only* thing that breakdown asked with the 2nd jumpstart was what I had left running in the truck. She didn't say anything when I said "Only the bunk heater that you installed so we don't idle."
That was a pretty good one.
So far, I've only had about 4 sets of batteries replaced (all on different trucks). I never had one ounce of trouble with them, save for the one truck with only 3 batteries (which seemed to be standard fare for trucks with APU's). The last guy who had my current truck, however, installed hardware for a fourth battery, so my truck has four fairly new batteries in it.
Tires, on the other hand, are a different story. The last time I went in for tires (at T/A in Greensboro, NC), it was for all four drives on the #3 axle. I was sent out with four R195 low-pro tires... Needless to say, no snow driving for me.