User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Relocating...

I am seriously thinking about relocating to San Diego. Now bear in mind the weather is my main reason for this... that and the beach. San Diego weather is hard to beat. My question is how diffucult is it to transfer my Tennessee CDL over to a California one? I have been to the California DMV website and its absolutly useless. It doesnt tell me anything about relocating. I have also considered relocating to Florida and their website was full of info... turns out I dont have to do much of anything to get a Florida CDL. The problem with Florida is the hurricanes... not my cup of tea.

Bear also in mind I am just in the research stage of this so please keep all negative, personal opinions at a minimum... I am just looking for facts right not, not opinions. I hate to have to say that but I after being on this forum for about 5 years now I know how some of the members are. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You should only need to give them your Tennessee CDL and pay them for their CDL. You may or may not have to take a written test. If you have hazmat and want to keep it you will probably need to take that portion of the test. You may need to show proof of residency such as a utility bill or rent receipt. It is pretty much the same with any of the states. The weather is great in southern California, but it costs a fortune to live there.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigidsporty View Post
I am seriously thinking about relocating to San Diego. Now bear in mind the weather is my main reason for this... that and the beach. San Diego weather is hard to beat. My question is how diffucult is it to transfer my Tennessee CDL over to a California one? I have been to the California DMV website and its absolutly useless. It doesnt tell me anything about relocating. I have also considered relocating to Florida and their website was full of info... turns out I dont have to do much of anything to get a Florida CDL. The problem with Florida is the hurricanes... not my cup of tea.

Bear also in mind I am just in the research stage of this so please keep all negative, personal opinions at a minimum... I am just looking for facts right not, not opinions. I hate to have to say that but I after being on this forum for about 5 years now I know how some of the members are. Thanks.
you will have to retake all your written tests for your CDL. same for the endorsements.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Senior Board Member

I have researched the cost of living... its on par with most major cities. The quality of life, however, is worth a few bucks to me. Dont get me wrong gman... I love Tennessee... but I just cant take the cold winters and hot summers anymore. I know a guy who lived in SD... from what he says (and he's an honorable man) it sounds pretty good... around 70 degrees year round, nice people, and lots of sunshine! I plan on going out there in November for a week to check it out.

As far as taking the CDL tests again... oh crap! lol That would suck!
Old 09-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
I hate to have to say that but after being on this forum for about 5 years now I know how some of the members are. Thanks.
Anybody have ANY idea who he is talking about?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
I have researched the cost of living... its on par with most major cities. The quality of life, however, is worth a few bucks to me. Don't get me wrong gman... I love Tennessee... but I just cant take the cold winters and hot summers anymore. I know a guy who lived in SD... from what he says (and he's an honorable man) it sounds pretty good... around 70 degrees year round, nice people, and lots of sunshine! I plan on going out there in November for a week to check it out.

As far as taking the CDL tests again... oh crap! lol That would suck!
I understand about the cold winters and hot summers. It usually isn't too extreme. It has been a bit difficult the last couple of years. I lived in Southern California back in the mid 70's. It was a great place to live back then. Orange county was really rural. San Clemente had the most beautiful beaches that I have ever seen. It is unfortunate that they now have condo's and other buildings on them. I loved living in California at that time. It was cheap to live in the state. That was before taxes went crazy. I would check around more on the cost of living. I have spoken to some people who live in what used be bad areas and they pay well over $500,000 for a small house. I don't see how the average worker can afford to live out there. If you want to live up toward Apple Valley, I have a friend who would like to sell some property. He has about 5 acres. It does get a bit cooler up there in the winter than in San Diego. I don't think that I would want to deal with the traffic out there every day. There was a guy who worked in an office next door to my old office who moved to San Diego. He really loved it. I suppose that he is still living there.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Anybody have ANY idea who he is talking about?

Gee.....let me think.....I can't imagine who he could be talking about. :roll:
Old 09-07-2010, 03:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I lived in Southern California back in the mid 70's. It was a great place to live back then. Orange county was really rural. San Clemente had the most beautiful beaches that I have ever seen. It is unfortunate that they now have condo's and other buildings on them. I loved living in California at that time. It was cheap to live in the state. .
Were you in the Marine Corps and stationed at Camp Pendleton? If so, I was there at the same time and regardless, I was in Southern Calafornia at the same time.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:46 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
you will have to retake all your written tests for your CDL. same for the endorsements.
I know it probably isn't a big deal, but when I moved from WY to CA, I had to take all of the commercial tests and even the class C test. Also you may need to provide proof of who you are (birth certificate, passport) and give them your cash.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTrucker View Post
I know it probably isn't a big deal, but when I moved from WY to CA, I had to take all of the commercial tests and even the class C test. Also you may need to provide proof of who you are (birth certificate, passport) and give them your cash.

unless he's mexican, they'll happily hand over all kinds of chit.