User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 01:51 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How to lose the "steering wheel holder" stereotype.

For all you long-timers out there, how does one get beyond this pejorative term?
Perusing the threads here, I noticed that this term is often used in a negative light towards anyone that has been driving a rig for less than 5-10 years.

Honestly I don't have much experience beyond 2 years under my belt and aside from flying helicopters one day, driving is something I've pretty much settled on as a career.

Anywho, I aim to take my work seriously and to put in as much as I have to to get the most out of the job, whenever I get back in anyway.
Personally, I try not to let things like this get me down, but lately I've been hearing cases of this "green-horn" labeling being applied in other career fields as well.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
For all you long-timers out there, how does one get beyond this pejorative term?
Perusing the threads here, I noticed that this term is often used in a negative light towards anyone that has been driving a rig for less than 5-10 years.

Honestly I don't have much experience beyond 2 years under my belt and aside from flying helicopters one day, driving is something I've pretty much settled on as a career.

Anywho, I aim to take my work seriously and to put in as much as I have to to get the most out of the job, whenever I get back in anyway.
Personally, I try not to let things like this get me down, but lately I've been hearing cases of this "green-horn" labeling being applied in other career fields as well.
The people tossing around those labels most of the time are suffering from some kind of insecurity issue. The term isn't brought on by anything that new people do as much as it is by self-described old hands who don't feel special enough for some reason. I'd venture to guess that 40% of them are brand new themselves and 100% of them have little peckers.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 06-05-2010, 02:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I noticed that this term is often used in a negative light towards anyone that has been driving a rig for less than 5-10 years.
Nothing to do with that. It's a term for people that think it's just a job, and just a way to get quick money. It's for people that do not look at things long term in our industry. It just so happens that the more experience one has, these tendencies (bad driving habits, pissing in parking lots, leaving garbage everywhere, and those damn piss bottles) tend to not exist as much. Because the industry tends to weed out those people.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:26 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Here's how I did it, but this was 8 years ago, and the laws may have changed a little since then.

First, you must file for Petition for Declaration Order to be removed from SWH status.
Then you go through a rigorous process called; Regulatory Guidance of Applicability
You'll need your past 5 years of HOS in order in separate files according to year and Company worked for.

Your current Company will have to meet all Federal Title VI Regulations and Standards
and submit to Federal investigation and audit, and they will have to pay all the appropriate fees and processing charges.
(lots of Companies willfully keep you on SWH status because of this)

Then it's just a matter of paying your fees and administration costs, and sign your waivers and file your exemptions.
(you'll need your processing number from the Regulatory Guidance of Applicability)

Pass the written and practical exams through the SWH FMCSA Program.
(classes are held twice a year at most Pilot Truck Stops)

Old 06-05-2010, 02:53 AM
Senior Board Member

[/QUOTE]

Did you have permission to put Hobo's picture on here????????? :smokin:
Old 06-05-2010, 04:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Here's how I lost 'steering wheel holder' status. I spent some time on line 4, and it wasn't just 15 minutes either... Yesterday it was 14 hours and change. Most of that was AFTER driving a couple hours.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Green Horn is one term for a rookie.....then there was "Foocking Worm"......back in my day! :clap:
Old 06-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Awesome replies!
I get the gist of what everybody is getting at.
Get good at one thing you're doing and appreciation for the task at hand will continue to grow.

The way I see it, there's going to come a time where you're eventually going to have to "hack it".
Old 06-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd
Did you have permission to put Hobo's picture on here????????? :smokin:
Yes, and we were classmates during the SWH FMCSA Program at the Pilot TS in Jackass Flats, N.Carolina.
(when you meet this guy in person, you realize the true meaning of the term "Spacktarded Nutless Monkey"...and I mean that in a good way)

This photo is of him during the Practical Evolution of the SWH FMCSA Program.
I have to give him props here though. He really has skills.

Notice both hands on the wheel, no seat belt, with the slack jaw and slight drooling...(it's important to be relaxed as possible)
plus he's wearing reading glasses, so he can see the dash gauges, or read the map. Long range vision is for wussies.
A good SWH does not need a turn signal, or mirrors, as you notice in the photo. Those are only distractions.
You keep your focus forward, or on your immediate interests, like a novel your are reading perhaps.

A seasoned SWH ignores radio traffic, knowing much of it is prank calling... like "Hey driver, your back door is swinging open",
or "you have a flat tire", or "there is fire coming off your reefer unit", or the classic..."do you realize your trailer landing gear is bent and laying down sparks?"
SWH's are trained to remain calm and reply on the radio in a fake redneck drawl "10-4 Good Buddy" (intentional phag referance)

The Class instructors will attempt to distract you from the sides, to see if you divert your down range POV.
They will typically use horns and voices of people screaming obscenities at you, or even simulate tornado debre whipping past your door.

Hint; I found out by accident...if you have a bunch of pigskins, hot sauce, corn dogs, or any crap from the Pilot Truck Stop counters
on your lap or dash space, you get bonus points. Also if you have to reach down to the floor to pick something up,
keep at least one hand on the wheel, but don't allow it to turn toward your body more than 30 degrees while you reach.
This also applies to using your back scratcher, or reaching around to your fridge or bunk for something.

Finally, notice also the casual wear. Steel toe boots are for wussies, as well as regular work clothing.

BTW, if you pass this Program, you are automatically signed up with the Teamsters Union.

Remember; A Professional card carrying SWH will support the Community best through numerous violations and OOS fines.
Some because of this, become very insubordinate, and rude, often trolling Truck MB websites to vent their frustrations.
Why they get a bad rap...I don't know?....these guys are the backbone of our Industry. :thumbsup:

Old 06-06-2010, 02:53 AM
Senior Board Member

I take it from the bottom picture that spandex chamois cycling shorts are part of the typical SWH getup.