Old 05-26-2010, 03:23 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Are you Apple or PC? I'm PC. (never again...I wish I was Mac)

I have a PC. Apple doesn't seem to have problems with virus attacks as does PC's.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:59 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertt View Post
Just for you Hog. :thumbsup:
Thanks... where the cows outnumber people, I might just have a chance, even though I'd make snarling noises as I nibble off all that fringe one by one, saving them for floss.

I'm sure your Tribe will regret your helping me, but it's probably been years since any Shawnee remembers what Swamp Ottawa are like.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Board Icon

Good reason for that GMAN, Apple doesn't normally rush to get the latest and newest operating system out without thoroughly checking it out hence why it's so tough for hackers and virus writers to take down a Mac. Their systems have very few open doors and flaws like Microsoft systems do and run a little differently so codes have to be written differently. The hackers haven't had much success in figuring them out but you can be certain they are trying their darndest. I think my next computer will be a Mac for security reasons.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I thought about getting a MAC when I bought my last computer. If they were closer in price I would have given more consideration to it. I could not justify the high cost differential. Another problem that I can see with any Apple products is the software compatibility problems. Most of the software that I use is for an IBM system.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Board Icon

Yep, you may pay a bit more(had to change that from a little more to a bit more) but it can lead to much less headaches with virus' and junk versus a regular PC.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorMember

By way of introduction, my name is Steve and I am with IB. I wanted to address some of the concerns and questions in this thread:

CAD was hacked but is/was not an attack site. We removed the malicious code yesterday and the alert/block was lifted several hours later. The hackers intent: anyone who visited the site from a search engine would be redirected to a pharmaceutical site. There was no virus or downloaded malware that would impact a user on the site. Just to be clear, there was no danger to your computer, data or identity. We're not sure how successful the hack was in redirecting traffic because Google issued that alert which was picked up by Firefox and Chrome rather quickly before we got any reports of funny stuff. As Twilight Flyer mentioned above, Internet Explorer/Microsoft apparently caught it briefly on Friday but the alert went away within a few hours without us doing anything. Our guess was that someone reported it manually (as anyone can do from their browser) and that the site was deemed safe by IE/MSFT. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused the community.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:42 AM
Board Icon

Just to be on the safe side, when I got the warning, I simply closed the page and walked away from the computer. Next day, I tried again, and no warning, so I went ahead and browsed the site for items of interest.

Anytime I get a warning about a site, I immediately lose all interest in that site... At least for the time being. If I get warnings twice, I don't bother with a third try.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
IMHO... yes CAD is an attack site. I am more than annoyed with these ridicules ads. I would rather pay a yearly membership, than be spammed to death.

I've complained to IB more than once, even as recently as two weeks ago, and they have never had the decency to return my message. I've informed them of some of the glitches I experience, as well as I've had numerous members PM or email me in regards to having similar problems. They asked for feedback...yet they ignore you when you take the time to "offer help." :roll:

There is one ad in particular that has been tracking every site I've previously visited. If it was eBay, it pulls up an ad for me in regards to eBay. Once I looked up gold spot prices, and got lots of gold selling sites.
Not sure if I'll upset the powers that be by posting this, but I use the No-Script add-on for firefox to avoid the ads. It's a tad bit annoying at first to set up your browsing habits but worth it when done. The benefit is that if another site attempts to launch a malicious script it will be blocked and it's only a 10 second install with a reboot of firefox.
Say I pull up the LA times site. there are 9 or 10 different sites executing scripts off the main page alone.3 or 4 for ads, 1 for video and several others. With that program you have to manually allow each site. I can allow the main site and the video site to watch the news stories. If I don't allow the 3 or 4 ad sites to execute their scripts I'll never know what pointless products the times is trying to get me to buy.

Peace, Love and Janis on the radio
-Kimball
Old 05-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Board Icon

I did try "AdBlocker" which FireFox offers, and it use to work, but the ads here got more aggressive over the last year. I like Google Chrome as my regular browser.
I agree, there are blockers you can take the time to set up, and maintain.

One ad I've notice I really think caused me trouble seems to be magically gone now, since the "hacked code" was repaired. :roll:

It's no secret I have no respect nor any regard for the "new owners" and I don't believe half of anything they say. But that's just me.
I know I didn't imagine all the glitches.

Far as I am concerned...maybe one or two of these admin from Internet Brands are okay. The rest can take a flying leap off an LA overpass in heavy traffic.

I quit as admin here because of the interference and total disrespect from these jerks... but I had put that all that behind me. They have asked for feedback with regards to any site concerns... but when you PM them offering a heads up to potential site problems, and/or glitches... and you get absolutely no response back. Seems nothing has changed in regards to how Internet Brands views this site, or how they treat the members.

I do like MikeSims...and how he made a thread and kept up with fixing our denial of service attack. :thumbsup: I also really liked Lee who was the original IB rep...but he left early on after IB's BOTCHED MIGRATION. issedoff: [and these IB dweebs even own the vBulletin software :rofl: ] That caused Twilight, Ridge and me hours of cleanup. I mean...hours and hours.

Brings back memories of the total lame BS (politician-like) excuse they give...insulting your intelligence even further.

Even the staff here says IB is slow to respond...if they respond at all. So...I wouldn't worry about what Internet Brands thinks or feels. I and all the oldtimer members here sure do miss Jeff and Lucinda...CAD's original owners!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Rookie

Ug, my long post got deleted due to time out, so I'll break this into a couple posts.

Shorter version, so this will be briefer and not as cordial. The bluntness isn't directed at you guys, but to the damn session id that timed out after 20 minutes.

IB doesn't want to piss you guys off or do anything that makes you leave. We want you here because we want to make money on ad revenue. Does it seem heavy handed some times? I think so, but I'm a tech guy, not a business guy. However, I do like getting a paycheck.

If you want to use ad blockers (AdBlock Pro), be my guest. I do. Shhh.

The only two people on here from IB right now are Steve (GILBOLA) and I. If you got issues, send them to him. I generally don't play in the communities here at work. I fly planes and don't even participate in the aviation sites I run. Steve and I run the Careers sites here at IB, so that's about a dozen sites. You aren't a low priority (in fact, CAD is near the top of my list), but resource management is not always perfect.

IB isn't some nefarious evil entity. There are hiccups up and down the chain, of course, as there often is in an organization. I definitely am not a Kool-Aid drinker. We have tech burps (both internal and from our provider), but some issues are external. If you guys complain about something and we can't corroborate it to our monitoring, we have to attribute it to an external factor. That doesn't mean we are ignoring you or think you are full of crap, it just means we can't reproduce it from our end.

Just because we own VB doesn't make all of us experts. I barely know the software. In fact, I know one of our competitors better because I've run sites myself as an admin *cough, IPB, cough.* However, if something does go wrong, I have a lot of resources here who can steer me in the right direction.

I'll touch on the malware in a second post, but let me hit a couple more references.

1. No ad was responsible for it. Nor did we remove an ad in response to the issue. We've had ads break a site before, but those are served to us through google or dfp or whatever.

2. The 'following' you mentioned RoadHog is almost 100% due to Google ad/analytics tracking. There are anonymizers (I had one on FF, but it doesn't work in FF 3.6). This was even in the news this week that google will let you opt out. Link to news. We track for statistics, but we do not track as single thing about your habits.