LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 04:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Shenandoah Closes

I stopped in for breakfast at the Shenandoah Truck Stop Restaurant this morning. I was informed that they were closing at 10:00 AM due to not being able to afford to put in new fuel tanks along with some other repairs that were needed.

For those who are not familiar with the Shenandoah it is located at the 186 MM along I-70 in Ohio. It is the first exit past where I-77 intersects with I-70. The restaurant is almost circular and sits on the second floor with a very good view all around. There is a motel attached on the west side of the facility. It is a unique design and had plenty of parking. I had the western omelette for $5.99 including coffee. I hope that someone can reopen it who has deeper pockets other than someone such as Pilot. If Pilot took it over I am sure that they would knock down the building and replace it with one of their cookie cutter buildings. It is really difficult for most independents to make it competing with the big chains. I had hoped that they would be able to make a go of it.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I stopped in for breakfast at the Shenandoah Truck Stop Restaurant this morning. I was informed that they were closing at 10:00 AM due to not being able to afford to put in new fuel tanks along with some other repairs that were needed.

For those who are not familiar with the Shenandoah it is located at the 186 MM along I-70 in Ohio. It is the first exit past where I-77 intersects with I-70. The restaurant is almost circular and sits on the second floor with a very good view all around. There is a motel attached on the west side of the facility. It is a unique design and had plenty of parking. I had the western omelette for $5.99 including coffee. I hope that someone can reopen it who has deeper pockets other than someone such as Pilot. If Pilot took it over I am sure that they would knock down the building and replace it with one of their cookie cutter buildings. It is really difficult for most independents to make it competing with the big chains. I had hoped that they would be able to make a go of it.
I'm familiar with that one. I've been there. Their fuel prices were a bit high, but the food was very good, than they were closed for a few years. I noticed that just before I retired, they re-opened. Wish I had had a chance to stop in there and check out the food again.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:23 AM
Senior Board Member

I've only been there once, and that was just to park for the night. When I went in to use the restroom, I didn't think I'd ever find the stupid thing.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
. . I hope that someone can reopen it who has deeper pockets other than someone such as . .
This place was mentioned in the "Which TS are you at . . " thread. It's in a great location for east bounders making their final approach to anywhere in the mid Atlantic or southern New England and west bounders working the other way. It's an attractive setting and it's unique architecture, to me, suggests it was the culmination of a successful founder's lifetime dream. For whatever reason, it went down.

I was always intrigued by it. You could tell it was a truck stop but not until you reached the top of the hill. It has an enormous sign with great reach but it was never on. Unlit, you can see it from Indiana. Lighted, you can actually see the sign from New Mexico and the space shuttle. I was pretty excited to see it on, so I skipped my plans for Amarillo and stopped in. It has a huge parking area and facilities for a truly full service operation. Unfortunately, it did appear the comeback was restrained by a shoe string budget. I walked through the entire place and everything stunk of untreated sewerage. I haven't been back since the manure tour. It would be easy enough to park there and call it good but they needed people inside spending money and I'm not surprised that didn't happen.

I wouldn't object to one of the big three . . the right pockets . . going in there and bringing it back again. It'd be nice if they stayed true to the original owners vision but I'd be happy with anything that works. It really is a good location . . HUGE parking lot.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
I've only been there once, and that was just to park for the night. When I went in to use the restroom, I didn't think I'd ever find the stupid thing.
Which is precisely why I toured the entire facility. Again, it has unique architecture.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:39 AM
Board Icon

Sure beat the little "GAS N GO" on the other side of the road from it's driveway.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Senior Board Member

That's too bad....I've been rooting for them to get it going strong again this past year.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:24 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
That's too bad....I've been rooting for them to get it going strong again this past year.
I run that area alot but have never been there, its a shame.

Hey Mike, Petro has a breakfast buffet with soup and salad bar for 5.99....had it this morning in Youngstown.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh View Post
I run that area alot but have never been there, its a shame.

Hey Mike, Petro has a breakfast buffet with soup and salad bar for 5.99....had it this morning in Youngstown.
Anytime I've been in the Youngstown area, I have always gone to TRUCK WORLD, to the "hotdog shop". They've got HOT SAUSAGE SANDWICHES that are FANTASTIC. Of all the times I've been in that area (before I retired), I think it's gotta be about 10 years since I've been in that Petro. Nothing against them, but I love those sandwiches. Of course, I've enjoyed Truck World's buffet too. Not sure I even remember how to get into Petro over there. And, the showers at Truck World are not like any other truck stop I've ever been to. Would not mind having one just like that right here at home. Sort of been trying to figure out how I can put one of them in at home.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Senior Board Member

I couldn't tell you the last time I was at that Petro. I *think* it was right after I started driving almost 10 years ago. Almost the same for Truck World. I think I was there 5 or 6 years ago.