User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

If we want to keep the independents then we are going to have to spend our money with them. I have found that many independents have fuel prices comparable to some of the big chains unless you can get some discounts through your carrier. Food is usually less expensive and better at the independents. Parking is also usually more plentiful than at the chains. I think that we need to patronize those trucks stops where we park. If we park then we need to have a meal or buy some fuel. It is expensive to maintain these businesses. Unless these truck stops make a profit they will no longer be viable.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
If we want to keep the independents then we are going to have to spend our money with them. I have found that many independents have fuel prices comparable to some of the big chains unless you can get some discounts through your carrier. Food is usually less expensive and better at the independents. Parking is also usually more plentiful than at the chains. I think that we need to patronize those trucks stops where we park. If we park then we need to have a meal or buy some fuel. It is expensive to maintain these businesses. Unless these truck stops make a profit they will no longer be viable.
I agree. For those of you that get up into the northern states, I can tell you of 3 independent locations that are well worth stopping at. If you have a truck stop guide, they are listed.

Wilderness Crossing. Wittenburg, WI. Junction of US-45 and WI-29.
51 truck stop. Merrill, WI. Exit 205 hwy 51.
Abbyland Truck Stop. Curtiss, WI. WI-29, exit 127. (cnty hwy E)

All three have excellent food that would give any chain a good run for their money, including Petro. I've already mentioned Truck World in Hubbard, OH. For the Canadians, (and for Americans that cross Canada on 17), Pembroke's Big Irving at the junction of 17 and 41 had fantastic food. My wife says they have the best lemon pie in the northern hemisphere. When she was going through cancer treatment in WI, I hand carried one from Pembroke to Wausau because she started losing weight, and the medical staff told her to put it back on. It was one thing she ate that still had flavor for her.:thumbsup:

If we don't want to lose the ones that give us something memorable, we'll have to patronize them, and tell Pilot to KISS OFF!!!

Old 05-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Senior Board Member

other than sadlers in emporia and dunn, any sugestions in the southeast? I usualy run nc, sc, ga, al, and tn. That's your neck of the woods me thinks, gman. I did stop by TR in dandrige, tn again. I love the food and there is one waitress there that seems to remember me even though I have not been there in a while. those things mean a lot to me.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Senior Board Member

In NC, on I-85:

Exit 86, Bill's Truck Stop, Linwood
Exit 71, Derrick Truck Stop, Salisbury - they also have a new type of idleaire based thing there - the big difference is that it's 100% free (and you can back in). No tv built in, but you do get ac/heat/120v, possibly even internet access.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Senior Board Member

never tried the resturaunt in bills, seems good from the smells.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock View Post
other than sadlers in emporia and dunn, any sugestions in the southeast? I usualy run nc, sc, ga, al, and tn. That's your neck of the woods me thinks, gman. I did stop by TR in dandrige, tn again. I love the food and there is one waitress there that seems to remember me even though I have not been there in a while. those things mean a lot to me.

There are a few that I could suggest in Tennessee and Georgia. One that I have been stopping at for many years is Uncle Pete's in Lebanon, TN. It is at exit 239 off I-40. The food is good and I can usually find a parking spot. There is also an independent restaurant across the street that has pretty good food. You can either walk across or park at the restaurant. Parking is limited to about 6 trucks at the restaurant.

There is another truck stop at on hwy 111 off I-40. I don't recall the exit number but I believe it is about 182? You will need to pay to park unless you buy fuel, but there is plenty of parking. I usually don't park at the truck stop. There is an old Huddle House next door that has limited parking. They just changed their name and it is now an independent. I ate there right after the change and the food is pretty good. I usually only stop to eat at the restaurant. There is a boot factory outlet behind the truck stop. They seem to have good prices.

Another stop in Tennessee is Lower 40 Truck Stop. They are also off I-40 in west Tennessee between Jackson and Nashville. Again, I don't remember the exit, but the food is usually good and there is plenty of parking until it gets late.

There used to be another that I stopped at on I-24 in Murfreesboro, TN. It was called J.T.'s. Pilot bought them out and they ruined their parking lot. I believe they were at exit 82.

If you just want a meal there is a small restaurant in Wildwood, GA. I believe it is exit 269 off I-24 near Chattanooga. The restaurant is just down about 200 yards from a small Pilot on the same side of the road. Wildwood is the only Georgia exit along that short stretch of I-24. Parking is limited but the food is good. They have good barbeque. If you want to park over night I believe the property owner charges $5. The people who own the restaurant don't own the property.

Another in Georgia is Cochran's Travel Center. They are at exit 345 off I-75. The food is pretty decent and there is plenty of parking. Since they remodeled they only use plastic silverware and plates but the food is still decent. They make their own barbeque which has a different flavor, but it is also pretty good. They have good breakfasts.

There are a few more in Georgia that I can't seem to recall right now off I-75 and I-16. Perhaps I will remember later.

My suggestion would be to stop in and try an independent. Some may be crap but others may be really good stops. If they have survived for several years then they are probably pretty good truck stops. If you find one you like then post it. :thumbsup:
Old 05-09-2010, 04:23 AM
Senior Board Member

thanks g, I usually stop by uncle pete's even if I am not going to stop for the night. I love the food and even love his coffee cup collection, don't think anyone has that many unique cups. Never knew about the restaurant across the road. The 40 TS is probably one I'll avoid, one day I was heading down the road and I smelled the truck stop or should I say the urine in it about a mile before I got to it. Ever since I pretty much have made a promise never to stop by that one. The main thing to attract me to the independents is the food. My main routes to Decatur from hampton roads is US 58 to I-85 to I-40 to I-24 to US 72 or I go down I-95 to 20 and cut across to birmingham and up I-65. My company also has customers in lexington, ky and somewhere in Kansas as well as Wisconsin. I'm always on the lookout for good independants and obviously the chepest fuel prices. Other than cash price we don't get any discounts for fuel.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Gman can probably answer this one off the top of his head. I only stopped once at The Tennessean (spelled something like that). Good food, good parking. Edit: just found it in my book: I-65, exit 22, Cornersville, TN

Crazy Ed's, I-75, exit 56, Niota, TN
Old 05-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Gman can probably answer this one off the top of his head. I only stopped once at The Tennessean (spelled something like that). Good food, good parking. Edit: just found it in my book: I-65, exit 22, Cornersville, TN

Crazy Ed's, I-75, exit 56, Niota, TN

I am not sure what you are asking? I am familiar with the Tennessean. I believe that they built a Pilot at that exit. There is another truck stop in Elkton, TN at exit 6 on I-65 called Shady Lawn. They have a big chicken out front. The food is good and although they don't have a huge lot there is usually ample parking.

Funny you should mention Crazy Ed's. I stopped in a couple of days ago. They have good food in the restaurant.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock View Post
thanks g, I usually stop by uncle pete's even if I am not going to stop for the night. I love the food and even love his coffee cup collection, don't think anyone has that many unique cups. Never knew about the restaurant across the road. The 40 TS is probably one I'll avoid, one day I was heading down the road and I smelled the truck stop or should I say the urine in it about a mile before I got to it. Ever since I pretty much have made a promise never to stop by that one. The main thing to attract me to the independents is the food. My main routes to Decatur from hampton roads is US 58 to I-85 to I-40 to I-24 to US 72 or I go down I-95 to 20 and cut across to birmingham and up I-65. My company also has customers in lexington, ky and somewhere in Kansas as well as Wisconsin. I'm always on the lookout for good independants and obviously the chepest fuel prices. Other than cash price we don't get any discounts for fuel.

Uncle Pete's is one of my favorites. The owner's wife wants him to retire and they plan to move to the Philippines. The problem is with the owner's daughter and her husband. They will take it over, but as yet I don't think the owner and his wife have the confidence that they can make a go of it. I would hate to see it close. My guess is that if they ever do turn it over to his daughter and son in law that they will lose their shirt and eventually sell out or close. I would hate to see Pilot come in and take it over. They already have a presence a couple of miles west of Uncle Pete's. The restaurant across the street is fairly small. You might give it a try sometime when you are in the area. I still prefer Uncle Pete's, but the place across the street has pretty good food and a strong local clientele.