User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Exercising.

I had to renew my DOT health card.
The doctor told me that I'm a little over weight (I'm 5'11" and I weigh around 230).
I've always been "stocky", but I've never considered myself 'over weight'. :lol:
The doctor asked me how often I exercise. Honestly, I didn't know how to answer that. I told him that I do yard work. Mine, and my parents' house, and I also do farm work. He asked me if I try to exercise while I'm on the road. :lol: I told him that I am home every night, and I told him what I do. (which is line haul-of course, him being a doctor, he wouldn't know what that is )
He advised me to walk an hour a day. He said that at my weight, I could burn 200 and some-odd (I couldn't remember exactly how many) calories an hour of walking. I said, "Dag gum. That sounds like a lot of calories." He said, "Not really. A cup of ice cream has well over 200 calories." I thought, "Well crap. There's goes that and I love Blue Bell Ice Cream." :hellno: :tears:

So that's what I've been doing, since last week. I walk in the mornings, after I get up. I'm not exactly sure how long it takes me, but its right about 2 and a half miles. Sure seems further than that. My street dead-ends to another street and that street runs for about a mile and a quarter, then it dead-ends. That's where I walk.

How many walkers are here? I know I have to watch the calories I consume, compared to how many I burn, but just out of curiosity, how much weight can someone lose by walking, (2 and a half miles for an example) every day?

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 04-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Senior Board Member

You got to RUN. RUN LIKE THE WIND

On a for real note. Walking is better then nothing. But try running. Maybe start out with a light jog. And when you feel your self getting wore out just go back to a walk. If you wanna burn the calories walking wont do much. You gotta make your body work.

I will put it in truck driving words for ya. LMAO:lol:

Think of a calorie as a gallon of fuel. When the truck is idleing it burns close to nothing. That is like your body walking.

Now the same truck pulling a long steep azz hill with 125,000lb lowboy permit load is going to suck the fuel down. Cuz the truck is working hard. Thats is your body running.

So to burn fuel or calories you gotta work. It takes time. If you try to do it all at once your body wont be able to handle it. So you got to take it one step at a time. Remeber it starts with the 1st step.

Good luck to you. :thumbsup:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 04-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post

On a for real note. Walking is better then nothing. But try running. Maybe start out with a light jog. And when you feel your self getting wore out just go back to a walk. If you wanna burn the calories walking wont do much. You gotta make your body work.

Think of a calorie as a gallon of fuel. When the truck is idleing it burns close to nothing. That is like your body walking.

Now the same truck pulling a long steep azz hill with 125,000lb lowboy permit load is going to suck the fuel down. Cuz the truck is working hard. Thats is your body running.

So to burn fuel or calories you gotta work. It takes time. If you try to do it all at once your body wont be able to handle it. So you got to take it one step at a time. Remeber it starts with the 1st step.

:badmood: :ranting: Gosh darned smart-alicky KIDS! :drunk: :cheers: :booze:uke:

mumblemumblemumblemumble

:ranting:

We used to could be skinny once upon a time!! :moon:
Old 04-14-2010, 02:17 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

When we were Mackman's age, we could burn calories just thinking about beaveage while doing 16oz. curls. :block:

Whadda ya mean...what's beaveage?
You know... cooter...muffin...coochie...snapper...taco....beer-did clam...fuzzy silhouette...

What? ..oh... okay, I'll stop, ...but see...now yer burnin' calories. :lol:

You just gotta think young. :thumbsup:

Oh, and Wabbit... you should be down on Padre Island right now walking around !!

Old 04-14-2010, 05:24 AM
Senior Board Member

From here:

Walking: The Best Exercise
Walking offers the great advantage of requiring no skill or practice. Everyone knows how to do it, and the only equipment you need is a good pair of shoes. You can walk outdoors or indoors (in shopping malls, for example). It is probably the safest option of all, with the least chance of injury.

Sorry, Mackman, running isn't good for everyone. Walking is something just about anyone can do.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Board Icon

Or you could ride a bike.

Just remember, if you haven't already done it, watch what you eat or walking will just cause you to hold station. I've seen people complain about walking and not shedding any weight only to find out they are still sitting at home gorging themselves on food. It has to be a complete committment or it will do no good.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post

Actually, talk to some of the "SPINE & JOINT CLINICS". Running causes far more injuries. Walking is by far better than running. Riding a bike is good too. For better excersize, take your wife with you (or SO) and do the bump n grind between the sheets for an hour every day. You'll burn off even more, and build up your heart. Read an article (and I believe I posted it) that said doing the "bump and grind" twice a week reduces your risk of heart attack by 50%.:thumbsup:

Old 04-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Most people walk a mile in about 20 minutes. So an hour would be about 3 miles. You may have heard of doing 10,000 steps. This come to about 3 miles depending on your stride.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Running causes far more injuries. Walking is by far better than running.
This is true and false at the sametime. It all really depends on your body. I can run and nothing hurts. My girlfriend on the other hand if she runs a block her knees and ankles kill her. But if you are able to run with out hurting your self. Running is far better then walking. You dont have to run 10 miles a day. But maybe run 1 mile and walk 2.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 04-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Senior Board Member

If you really want a burn when you walk throw on some ankle weights. :lol:
Amazon.com: Danskin Adjustable 10-Pound Pair Ankle Weights: Sports & Outdoors