User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Here's an interesting article.

Quote:
The 2004 magnitude 9 earthquake beneath the ocean west of Sumatra in Indonesia was the second-largest quake ever measured. It killed an estimated 230,000 people, mostly in Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India and Thailand.
This week earthquakes of slightly lower magnitudes happened along the same line, killing up to 1,000 on the island of Sumatra.

A recent US study found that the 2004 earthquake weakened fault lines around the world, including California's San Andreas Fault.
The research, that was published in the journal Nature on the day the latest earthquake in Indonesia hit, suggested the tsunami could have caused an increase in earthquakes around the world since.
"An unusually high number of magnitude 8 earthquakes occurred worldwide in 2005 and 2006," said study co-author Fenglin Niu, associate professor of Earth science at Rice University. "There has been speculation that these were somehow triggered by the Sumatran-Andaman earthquake that occurred on Dec. 26, 2004."
The study provided evidence for the first time that earthquakes like the 2004 tsunami could even affect fault lines like the San Andreas Fault 5,000 miles away.
Separate research published in Nature also looked at the effect the Asian Tsunami had on the San Andreas Fault.
The study by the Carnegie Institute in Washington measured how seismic waves from the 2004 quake weakened other fault lines and may help to predict earthquakes in the future.

Asian tsunami could have made earthquake risk in Indonesia worse - Telegraph

And, along with making them worse, more numerous is also possible.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The "Ring of Fire" is proving itself around the Pacific once again.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Board Icon

I've, sort of, been keeping an eye out for these things. The most recent one is hitting close to home again. They still seem to be getting stronger and more frequent. The latest one is no exception.

Mexico quake shakes L.A., San Diego - Focus on Mexico- msnbc.com

Not as strong as Haiti or South America, but nothing to sneeze at. Seems to me that in the past, there was one on that part of that fault line, and not long after, there was one in CA.

I don't ever recall quakes coming this often, and this strong. Makes one wonder if the earth is moving toward a peak in some kind of cycle.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Board Icon

mmmmmmmmm...I like mexican.

Usually when I hear of an event in some exotic part of the world, I immediately think...
Slobber-drool-slurp ..those wimmin are gorgeous, and I often have a tragic weakness for their accents.
The devastation of knowing I may never get to suckle one of their "fruits of the Gods," is heart breaking for me.

I was just thinking of Down Under a minute ago...and I've been meaning to ask, if any of you Aussie members
have a Sunami displaced irresistable Sheila with that cute accent, just pop her in the FedEx for me.
I promise I'll give her a good home, and you'd jus' be helpin' a brutha out.

As far as disasters besides my love life, Windwalker is real smart, if you have any questions.
I'm just here to meet chix.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:53 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
I don't know that "the time is getting closer", but I do think the earth is going through a phase, and when it's over, maps may not look exactly the same. There might be some that will try to connect it to global warming, and others that may try to connect it to underground nuclear testing. I just thought it was interesting.

....I don't ever recall quakes coming this often, and this strong. Makes one wonder if the earth is moving toward a peak in some kind of cycle.
We all know how the Rocky Mountains were formed, right? And we know that it happened thousands if not milions of years AFTER the Appalachians, right? The Appalachians are on a "fault" of volcanoes. The Rockies were formed by the shifting of Tectonic Plates in the Earth's surface.

The "ring of fire" is mostly volcanic mountains that surround the Pacific Ocean. If these volcanoes start erupting "en masse," our world will suffer greatly. But, there is no reason NOT to expect such eruptions, as there is no reason NOT to expect clashes of the tectonic plates.... causing earthquakes.

If there is an increased number of earthquakes these days, it doesn't mean the onslaught of the "end times." It is just the Earth "adjusting it's package."

Interestingly enough, I heard that the fault line that caused the Haiti quake also went through OKLAHOMA. Wow. Who'd have thunk?

I personally don't believe that California will fall into the ocean.... but, it would not surprise me to see an ENTIRE new mountain range formed almost OVERNIGHT by a major shift in the tectonic plates of the earth's surface. Possibly IN OUR LIFETIME. Whether it will be in Cali, or Oklahoma.... or out in the ocean somewhere.... I don't know. But, I'm beginning to believe it is time. I think it has NOTHING to do with any "prophesies" of End Times..... but, it will certainly bring about a "reality check" among the inhabitants of this planet.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.

Last edited by golfhobo; 04-05-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Their is a little town on the east side of OKC called Jones, and they have been having "tremors" at least 2 or 3 times a week for the last 3 or 4 months. Magnitudes aroung the 2's and 3's.

Jones is about 20 miles northeast of me and once in a while they are strong enough we can feel them here. If you have never been through a stronger one, it's an eerie feeling to say the least. I lived in Alaska for 3 years when I was in the Air Force in the 80's and we had a couple in the 6's and it's an amazing feeling. I can't imagine a 7 or 8.

Makes you wonder what is going on. Especially with all of the BIG ones around the world.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Board Icon

That's just it. I've heard of small ones all along, and back in '68, felt the tremors from two of them. But, until just recently, I have not been hearing of so many of the larger magnitude like we are having now. And, it seems like they're ringed around the Pacific mostly. Haiti, Chili, China, Japan, and where else?

Like I said, what's it building up to?

Old 04-07-2010, 01:52 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Another big one yesterday. 7.7 near Indonesia, 20 miles deep.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Board Icon

Yeah, near Sumatra who had an even bigger one recently. Outside of the Haiti quake they all seem to be hanging around the Pacific.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
I just threw that in for chuckles and jollies. Seems like everything but Toyota's problems are all tied into Global Warming. Why not tremors too? It's either that, or an "Act of GOD", and GOD would not do such a thing that would kill hundreds of people, would he? Would he?

So, it must be attached to the Global Warming.:thumbsup:

It's Bush's fault, no pun intended.