User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default VA to raise speed limit

Going to 70 mph, not that it matters to most company drivers since they can't go over 65 still. Seems that all's left is for the govna to sign it into law.

Quote:
RICHMOND (AP) - Virginia lawmakers have passed bills that would boost the top speed limit in the state from 65 mph to 70.

In the Senate, the bill passed on a 29–10 vote. Democratic Senator Creigh (Cree) Deeds of Bath County said the state had no business increasing speeds on its freeways when it faces a transportation funding crisis.

Republican Senator John Watkins said nothing in the bill compels motorists to drive 70 mph.

In the House, the measure passed on a 71–26 vote without debate.

Thirty-three states have top limits of 70 mph. Twelve have 75 mph limits, and Texas and Utah allow speeds up to 80 mph.

The bills seem likely to become law. Gov. Bob McDonnell advocated the 70 mph limit in his campaig
Old 02-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Senior Board Member

woohoo!!! when does this start? :thumbsup:
Old 02-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Senior Board Member

and where is this going to take place?? if any parts of I-81 allows an 75 mph, you thought they had hell of accidents then, just wait until this goes into effect..
Old 02-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Is this just for Daytona week?

Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Board Icon

Probably go into effect right away. This will be 2 promises made during McDonnell's campaign that he has kept, the other being opening the rest area's back up ASAP.

Hawk, I said the same thing to someone who was happy as a clam about how this could help 81. After I finished laughing at him I explained how it would only make things worse until more lanes are added because you will now have even more cars running 10-15 mph faster than 90% of the trucks and all it takes is 1 driver to suddenly pull out for a pass not realizing just how fast those cars are coming behind him. Heck that situation itself already happens plenty out there. All raising the limit does is cut down on excessive/reckless speeding tickets. Now you will have to be running 90 to get a reckless speed and not too many people push it that high.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:09 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Probably go into effect right away. This will be 2 promises made during McDonnell's campaign that he has kept, the other being opening the rest area's back up ASAP.

Hawk, I said the same thing to someone who was happy as a clam about how this could help 81. After I finished laughing at him I explained how it would only make things worse until more lanes are added because you will now have even more cars running 10-15 mph faster than 90% of the trucks and all it takes is 1 driver to suddenly pull out for a pass not realizing just how fast those cars are coming behind him. Heck that situation itself already happens plenty out there. All raising the limit does is cut down on excessive/reckless speeding tickets. Now you will have to be running 90 to get a reckless speed and not too many people push it that high.
He can promise what he wants, there aint no money. What, he is a republican so it must be right?

You talk about addition of more lanes to 81 but who will pay for it, VA doesnt have the money to do it and people dont wanna pay more taxes. No dough for it to be done no matter what some politicial may have told you.