User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Air starters.

I don't know why I thought of this, but do they still make air starters? I remember the first time I heard one. It scared me to death! It was several years ago, and it was when I was on harvest. A farmer that we were cutting for owned a, I believe it was a Marmon. He wanted us to load his trailer for seed wheat. I'll never forget when he started that truck. I just about ran across the whole country.

What were the pro's and con's of air starters? I guess, you didn't have to worry about your batteries, but I reckon you had to have air.

If they no longer have them, when did they quit making them? How long did they have air starters?

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 01-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Not long after I started driving, I was in a tiny truckstop in the middle of nowhere one night. I went in to the restroom and when I was coming back a guy started his truck (air starter) when I was walking past. I'm just glad he waited to do that *after* I went to the restroom.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:57 AM
Rookie

This is the first time I've heard of them, but thanks for giving me something else to learn about. Wikipedia ( Air start system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) explains the air start system as being used to start large engines at a time when batteries weren't as reliable as they are now. So, the answer as to why they aren't used is the battery technology has improved for companies to think that the battery/glow plug combination is more reliable.

As to whether there's a company that still makes them, amairstarters.com is out of Houston and has charts to match engine model numbers with models of their starters.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
I don't know why I thought of this, but do they still make air starters? I remember the first time I heard one. It scared me to death! It was several years ago, and it was when I was on harvest. A farmer that we were cutting for owned a, I believe it was a Marmon. He wanted us to load his trailer for seed wheat. I'll never forget when he started that truck. I just about ran across the whole country.

What were the pro's and con's of air starters? I guess, you didn't have to worry about your batteries, but I reckon you had to have air.

If they no longer have them, when did they quit making them? How long did they have air starters?

Here ya go Jack!

Ingersoll Rand Engine Starting - Turbine, Vane and Gas Air Starters

Back when I worked in the oilfields, those were the most prevelant air-starters used.

Hehehehe....I used to love sitting in the Frac bus, watching for some unsuspecting turd to be walking past one of the pumpers! :lol:
Old 01-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Hehehehe....I used to love sitting in the Frac bus, watching for some unsuspecting turd to be walking past one of the pumpers! :lol:
That's not very nice. Especialy if an old man walked by. :lol:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 01-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Best time to have one was with the DOT under your truck. Ever heard a CaDOT man swear as a bedbuggter with a airstarter hit his at Truckee next to me I was in lane one he was in lane 2. I heard words I had Never heard before. I think he tried to lift my truck with his head or something.