Old 01-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default WOW! This is "new" News?

Experts: Sitting too much could be deadly - Yahoo! News

Quote:
By MARIA CHENG, AP Medical Writer – Wed Jan 20, 10:56 am ET

Scientists are increasingly warning that sitting for prolonged periods — even if you also exercise regularly — could be bad for your health. And it doesn't matter where the sitting takes place — at the office, at school, in the car or before a computer or TV — just the overall number of hours it occurs.
Research is preliminary, but several studies suggest people who spend most of their days sitting are more likely to be fat, have a heart attack or even die.
In an editorial published this week in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, Elin Ekblom-Bak of the Swedish School of Sport and Health Sciences suggested that authorities rethink how they define physical activity to highlight the dangers of sitting.
While health officials have issued guidelines recommending minimum amounts of physical activity, they haven't suggested people try to limit how much time they spend in a seated position.
"After four hours of sitting, the body starts to send harmful signals," Ekblom-Bak said. She explained that genes regulating the amount of glucose and fat in the body start to shut down.
Even for people who exercise, spending long stretches of time sitting at a desk is still harmful. Tim Armstrong, a physical activity expert at the World Health Organization, said people who exercise every day — but still spend a lot of time sitting — might get more benefit if that exercise were spread across the day, rather than in a single bout.
That wasn't welcome news for Aytekin Can, 31, who works at a London financial company, and spends most of his days sitting in front of a computer. Several evenings a week, Can also teaches jiu jitsu, a Japanese martial art involving wrestling, and also does Thai boxing.
"I'm sure there are some detrimental effects of staying still for too long, but I hope that being active when I can helps," he said. "I wouldn't want to think the sitting could be that dangerous."
Still, in a study published last year that tracked more than 17,000 Canadians for about a dozen years, researchers found people who sat more had a higher death risk, independently of whether or not they exercised.
"We don't have enough evidence yet to say how much sitting is bad," said Peter Katzmarzyk of the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, who led the Canadian study. "But it seems the more you can get up and interrupt this sedentary behavior, the better."
Figures from a U.S. survey in 2003-2004 found Americans spend more than half their time sitting, from working at their desks to sitting in cars.
Experts said more research is needed to figure out just how much sitting is dangerous, and what might be possible to offset those effects.
"People should keep exercising because that has a lot of benefits," Ekblom-Bak said. "But when they're in the office, they should try to interrupt sitting as often as possible," she said. "Don't just send your colleague an e-mail. Walk over and talk to him. Standing up."

I stand before you as living proof that sitting for long hours each day, for days on end, is bad for you! After 32 years......I admit...I weigh to much!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

This is the kind of taxpayer funded study's that make me puke. :roll:

There are hundreds of thousands of people proving you can become skin and bones and die while sitting.... waiting for your next meal.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
This is the kind of taxpayer funded study's that make me puke. :roll:

There are hundreds of thousands of people proving you can become skin and bones and die while sitting.... waiting for your next meal.

That "Publicly Funded" study is okay to read.........It was funded by the Bristish.

:rofl:
Old 01-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Even I, who for the first 35 years of my life weighed pretty much the same, wore the same size clothes, etc now weigh in at about 30-35lbs more and have definitely increased my waistline. For someone that weighed 130-135lbs basically forever, that's a lot of weight to put on.

I just wish that my extra weight wasn't in my gut. I need it on my rump to make up for these crappy seats in our truck. More cushion = more gooder.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Even I, who for the first 35 years of my life weighed pretty much the same, wore the same size clothes, etc now weigh in at about 30-35lbs more and have definitely increased my waistline. For someone that weighed 130-135lbs basically forever, that's a lot of weight to put on.

I just wish that my extra weight wasn't in my gut. I need it on my rump to make up for these crappy seats in our truck. More cushion = more gooder.
Funny, I'm at 210 right now, but stayed at 160-170 during my OTR time, and everyone thought I was less!!
Guess it had to do with not having "all-the-time" access to a fridge, pulling out the bike in every place I stopped in, and just the desire to not look like a stereotypical trucker.

But for now though, my extra weight could be attributable to working these staggered, 12 hour security shifts.
3pm-11pm/5 days a week was much more healthier than slamming 36-40 hrs/wk into 3-4 days.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
That "Publicly Funded" study is okay to read.........It was funded by the Bristish. :rofl:
Bloody 'ell... bugger me, mate. :block:
I'm only assuming US tax dollars went into this study, by the quotes below.... and we always hear of millions of dollars going into genius studies like the mating habits of wood ticks, or why gay penguins are moving to San Francisco, dispite the warm climate, in unprecidented numbers.

Still, in a study published last year that tracked more than 17,000 Canadians for about a dozen years, researchers found people who sat more had a higher death risk, independently of whether or not they exercised.
"We don't have enough evidence yet to say how much sitting is bad," said Peter Katzmarzyk of the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, who led the Canadian study. "

Figures from a U.S. survey in 2003-2004 found Americans spend more than half their time sitting, from working at their desks to sitting in cars.
Experts said more research is needed to figure out just how much sitting is dangerous, and what might be possible to offset those effects.

Last edited by Roadhog; 01-21-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:38 AM
Board Icon

Well, for the past number of years, my time has been pretty much divided between sitting down, and lying down. Is lying down, as opposed to reclining, a problem as well...

Old 01-21-2010, 12:57 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Well, for the past number of years, my time has been pretty much divided between sitting down, and lying down. Is lying down, as opposed to reclining, a problem as well...
Hey! Lets apply for a Stimulas Bill Grant to make a study on that. :thumbsup:

Detroit Free Press API Jan. 20, 2010

Rick Kliner of CAD Group, was awarded 100 millions dollars to study the long term health effects of Baby Boomer sedentary habits.
The extensive 10 month program will employ 2 Road Scholars and 12 assistants.
The 10 month employment time frame will also qualify the 12 assistants for unemployment benefits following the study.

Bla bla bla yada yada.... Obama proud of new job creation numbers proving the Stimulas Bill a success.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Hey! Lets apply for a Stimulas Bill Grant to make a study on that. :thumbsup:

Detroit Free Press API Jan. 20, 2010

Rick Kliner of CAD Group, was awarded 100 millions dollars to study the long term health effects of Baby Boomer sedentary habits.
The extensive 10 month program will employ 2 Road Scholars and 12 assistants.
The 10 month employment time frame will also qualify the 12 assistants for unemployment benefits following the study.

Bla bla bla yada yada.... Obama proud of new job creation numbers proving the Stimulas Bill a success.
I'd give you a hand with that. With my electronics background, I could attach the sensors to monitor the activity of the genes. But only with the subjects posted in Hogwash.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Bloody 'ell... bugger me, mate. :block:
I'm only assuming US tax dollars went into this study, by the quotes below.... and we always hear of millions of dollars going into genius studies like the mating habits of wood ticks, or why gay penguins are moving to San Francisco, dispite the warm climate, in unprecidented numbers.

"We don't have enough evidence yet to say how much sitting is bad," said Peter Katzmarzyk of the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, who led the Canadian study. "

Aaaaaaaaah Hawg! You didn't see this line??

Quote:
In an editorial published this week in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, Elin Ekblom-Bak of the Swedish School of Sport and Health Sciences suggested that authorities rethink how they define physical activity to highlight the dangers of sitting.

:lol2: