User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 01:55 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Winter..

Here is an article from our news paper.
We had a White Christmas this year. It was more than just a White Christmas. For many, it was very bad.

If any of yall are passing through north Texas in the next few days, be very careful. We have more snow in the forecast for this next Tuesday and Wednesday. I remember looking at the weather before I went to work on Wednesday. It mentioned that we had a chance of snow. I figured it would be normal-just a few flakes. I never dreamed it would have been a record-breaking blizzard.

Travelers snowbound Times Record News

You will notice in the article, they mention Ken Patton. He farms in Electra (about 25 miles west of Wichita Falls on 287) My dad grew up with Ken. Pattons are a good family!

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 12-27-2009, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member

I can accept the fact that TXDOT isn't equipped to handle that amount of snow....but 18 wheelers stuck on 287?? Them are some sorry azzed driver's, if they were unwilling to install chains or cables!! :thumbsdown:

Or were the stuck trucks all "locals?? :lol:

Good deal on them Pattons! Must take after ole Blood and Guts George!
Old 12-27-2009, 02:29 AM
Board Icon

Yeah, 287 is a good highway. It's straight, and for the most part, flat. Anything can happen in this mess, but the only thing I can figure, those guys must have been going a little too fast.

We have salt shakers, but nothing like them up north. It's pretty sad when the county brings out their front-end loaders and road graders. It's funny..All the small towns have those big tall 4-wheel drive fire trucks that can go anywhere, and Wichita Falls (population 105,000) has nothing but brand new "regular" fire trucks. :lol:

I hope I can make it in one piece tomorrow. If I can't hook up a set when I get to the yard, I'm going back home.

Yeah, the Pattons are good as gold. Good, hard working family.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 12-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
I can accept the fact that TXDOT isn't equipped to handle that amount of snow....but 18 wheelers stuck on 287?? Them are some sorry azzed driver's, if they were unwilling to install chains or cables!! :thumbsdown:

Or were the stuck trucks all "locals?? :lol:

Good deal on them Pattons! Must take after ole Blood and Guts George!
I dont know about Texas but around here the locals are the last ones to quit running! I'm never more than 300 miles from home and besides what am I gonna do, kick back in my day cab! If the road is open I'm rollin bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
Yeah, 287 is a good highway. It's straight, and for the most part, flat. Anything can happen in this mess, but the only thing I can figure, those guys must have been going a little too fast.

We have salt shakers, but nothing like them up north. It's pretty sad when the county brings out their front-end loaders and road graders. It's funny..All the small towns have those big tall 4-wheel drive fire trucks that can go anywhere, and Wichita Falls (population 105,000) has nothing but brand new "regular" fire trucks. :lol:

I hope I can make it in one piece tomorrow. If I can't hook up a set when I get to the yard, I'm going back home.

Yeah, the Pattons are good as gold. Good, hard working family.
There's a twist JR! You had snow in Texas and we had rain in Ohio on Christmas!

Yeah if they dont get the yard cleaned up then sometimes hooking a set is worse than driving down the highway!
Old 12-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Board Regular

Here's a video from CBS the part about Iowa Park is the Wichita Falls area. It'll give you a little idea of why even the big trucks were stuck.

Holiday Winter Storm Havoc - CBS News Video