User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thank you to trainers.

I was not sure where to post this exactly. I just want to say that my Truck Driver trainers --who I rode with shortly after getting my CDL --were terrific. They taught me many, many invaluable things about truck driving and what I call truck stop ettiquette. Some of it is simple stuff, like NEVER leave your keys in the ignition and walk away from your truck. Thank you to Gene H. and Barron B. --you guys were the best Truck Driver Trainers a gal could ask for. Thank you for the many things you taught me that make me a better driver.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:26 PM

Nice post. Hope they see it.

Here's one of the first things I was taught:

If there's truck parking in front of the fuel isle, and there's the slightest downward slope coming out of the fuel isle, don't park there. Sometimes drivers come in to fuel and are tired. It's possible that one could forget to set the breaks before jumping out of the cab - only to have the truck roll away from them. Guess where's it going to end up?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam_Murphy View Post
They taught me many, many invaluable things about truck driving and what I call truck stop ettiquette. Some of it is simple stuff, like NEVER leave your keys in the ignition and walk away from your truck.
Wow, you had to know that rule of thumb and do it in order to even get your CDL in VA. First thing the tester went to look for was if the keys were in the ignition still. If the keys were there they would fail you on the spot and tell you to setup another test date because that one was over with. That was one of the first rules in the CDL training manual I was given by the state. Not to mention it was also a question that popped up in the written portion of the test.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:22 PM

I only mentioned not leaving the keys in the ignition because I work with some real amateurs, and they do a lot of moronic things! It was not a stretch for me. I have always turned off all equipment before turning off the engine of any vehicle I drive: the radio, the heater, etc., etc. and NEVER left the keys in the ignition when exiting a vehicle.
But I have watched people leave the driver's door open indefinitely, not leave the tractor in "neutral" when turning off the engine, eat their lunch while parked at a fuel island (after fueling and getting their receipt and buying their lunch), not getting into the right-hand lane on a steep incline (yes, ignoring the big-ass sign that reads "slower traffic keep right"), and a lot other stupid things. I wish I could correct these morons, but they don't want to listen to me, because I am a female, never mind that I am a professional truck driver.

oh, how about this, stopping with their trailer on the railroad tracks--because "there is a stop sign there", at a great big, flat, wide open intersection, with a ton of visibility. really! I have known, since I was a wee tot, better than to stop with any portion of the vehicle on the railroad tracks!!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Wow, you had to know that rule of thumb and do it in order to even get your CDL in VA. First thing the tester went to look for was if the keys were in the ignition still. If the keys were there they would fail you on the spot and tell you to setup another test date because that one was over with. That was one of the first rules in the CDL training manual I was given by the state. Not to mention it was also a question that popped up in the written portion of the test.
Mr. Ford95
Super Moderator
Senior Board Member

Ummmmmmm. Who died and made you God?? <--------- so Everyone understands I iz funnin.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam_Murphy View Post
not getting into the right-hand lane on a steep incline (yes, ignoring the big-ass sign that reads "slower traffic keep right")
When I see huge trucks puttering along in the left-hand passing lane, I always wonder what their drivers are thinking!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Board Regular

[QUOTE=SamIam_Murphy;501428]I only mentioned not leaving the keys in the ignition because I work with some real amateurs, and they do a lot of moronic things! It was not a stretch for me. I have always turned off all equipment before turning off the engine of any vehicle I drive: the radio, the heater, etc., etc. and NEVER left the keys in the ignition when exiting a vehicle.

I was once told that any one truck key could be used on another truck, something like 1 key would fit and work in 3 or 4 out of 10 trucks attempted.. it seems realistic as My 2010 Kenworth key has opened the door of another companies Kenworth on the rack when the driver locked his doors by mistake, didnt try his ignition so I dont know if it would have turned over or not...

Timberwolf
Old 12-05-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleeIB View Post
When I see huge trucks puttering along in the left-hand passing lane, I always wonder what their drivers are thinking!
apparently they are not thinking at all, or they just don't give a darn!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:29 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentla93 View Post
I was once told that any one truck key could be used on another truck, something like 1 key would fit and work in 3 or 4 out of 10 trucks attempted.. it seems realistic as My 2010 Kenworth key has opened the door of another companies Kenworth on the rack when the driver locked his doors by mistake, didnt try his ignition so I dont know if it would have turned over or not...

Timberwolf
Take a look at your key. There are a limited number of combinations of peaks and notches that you can get in that form. I don't know about 3 or 4 out of 10, but certainly 3 or 4 out of 100. And, some that are very close only take a little wiggling to make them work too. With those companies that allow it, a dog works far better.

I had a male cockateil that would attack anyone it did not know. You should have seen the reaction from the girls working the lot when they hooked their elbows inside my window to talk to me, and the bird went on the attack.:lol::bow:

Old 12-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

in reference to not leaving the keys in the ignition I am not talking about the truck being stolen. I mean that my trainers taught me to just never leave the keys hanging there, in the ignition (and/or the door open) and walk away from my vehicle. More likely they were try ing to tell me that they were the victims of pranks played by some morons who would find it funny to move another driver's truck and watch him look for it.
I would add that if someone really wants the trucks I usually drive -you are welcome to them! A bunch of junk, with stripped gears and over 250,000 miles on them --you want 'em, go ahead and steal them.... although, if you are going to steal one of these pieces of junk I think you have bigger problems than being a vehicle thief.