User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Just bought a new 29LTD....

I was at a truck stop the other night....got a 29LTD for $59.95 after $20 rebate. Now...being a new radio, i want to put a Conex board in it. how much do those run and cost to install? also what about guys who use amps on their radios? is it installed internal to the radio itself, or is it run off the truck batteries. have heard drivers with nice radios, then say all they have is a cobra 29 with some mods.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Get in touch with clays radio shop in texas (clayradioshop.com) or live wire radio shop in PA. They both do good work. I have a 29ltd and it is a great simple radio. Buy yourself a roadking 56 mike. A wilson antenna, and a good co-ax and you should have no problems. I've had my radio for atleast 15 years, probably closer to 20 years. Once you get it tuned and peaked you shouldn't need a amp.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Senior Board Member

"Connex" boards aren't too hard to come by. Most CB shops can do that for you, but it may cost you about the same as the radio itself, once they install it. I agree with Freebird on getting a Wilson antenna, although an Astatic 636L is a very good alternative to the RK-56 (which is still a good mic).
As for amps, there are some that can be mounted on the radio chassis (Powerband's RFX-75, for one), but most are external and need a good, fused connection to the batteries. If you get an amp, a peak-and-tune won't make much difference.
By the way, what kind of truck will this be installed in? That can make a world of difference on how easily antennas can be installed and how effective they are.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
I was at a truck stop the other night....got a 29LTD for $59.95 after $20 rebate. Now...being a new radio, i want to put a Conex board in it. how much do those run and cost to install? also what about guys who use amps on their radios? is it installed internal to the radio itself, or is it run off the truck batteries. have heard drivers with nice radios, then say all they have is a cobra 29 with some mods.
My Connex board cost me $69. That was several years ago.
Like freebird said, I would get a Roadking mic. $50, but it's worth it. If you do get a Connex board, You might want to get talkback.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 11-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Senior Board Member

I was going by the 154 exit on I-70 in illinois, and got a hold of the CB shop there. the lady said it would cost $70 plus about 20 minutes to install.

I already use an Astatic mic, i have 2 firesticks, a 3 ft wilson 'no ground' antenna, along with my two stock antennas. I bought an Astatic coax a month or two ago i will probably install. Thanx for the tips guys. i agree, the 29 is a good 'no frills' radio, which i think is all a driver needs. needing 'talkback' or that gay 'roger beep' is just there to try to impress.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Board Icon

Kevin, talkback allows you to hear yourself when you key up. It's a little transister that relays what is transmitted back through the speaker. For an example, if you don't have talkback, you can't hear yourself through your speaker. If you do have talkback, you can hear yourself. That's all it does. It lets you hear yourself when you key up. It has nothing to do with how the radio works, or anything.

You ask, "why would I want to hear myself?" Talkback allows you to know what your radio sounds like, coming out of other driver's radios. It lets you hear how you sound. For an example, if you are getting a Connex board, you would want to know how it sounds, right? You will be able to hear how much echo you have, or if it's distorted, etc. It lets you know how you sound when you talk.

http://watsonsysco.com/