User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 05:09 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Hey, ForcedInduction

My son called me last night and asked me to send him a picture from my scrap-book. I'd completely forgotten about it, but since our discussion about engines and drivers being so damaging, I thought I'd try to give you an idea of what kind of things I used to get into.

I'm not on Photo-bucket or anything like that. I don't have a way to put the pic on here. So, I looked for a picture online. So far, I didn't find any, but how would you like to work on one that works like this one...

Napier Deltic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The one I worked on was aboard the S S Ford in Sturgeon Bay, WI, at the shipyard. It's got 24 cylinders in 8 banks, with 48 pistons and turns a constant 720 rpm. The engine connects to a 10-pole ac generator, and the generator connects to the hydrostatic drive. 3 crankshafts drive the output shaft, which is also the cam shaft, by means of gears. The output shaft turns one half the rpm of the cranks. 2,600 hp. We didn't get to work on the enigne itself. Our job was to clean the oil out of the generator after the engine blew out a couple of seals. The configuration is something like this:

Imagine this in a truck, and the "kittens" California would have...

Old 10-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Is that the motor they run in locomotives? I saw something about trains on 'Extreme Machines' or something like that, several years ago. They went through the production factory, and what not. If I remember hearing right, the pistons themselves are 350 Cubic inches. Seems like the motors put out 5,000 or 6,000 horses.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 10-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Board Icon

The ship where we cleaned up the generator had one, but as I understand it, locomotives do have them as well. Designed to move mountains, but setting the timing has got to be a bear. The one thing I've never heard about them is just how fuel efficient they are.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
Is that the motor they run in locomotives? I saw something about trains on 'Extreme Machines' or something like that, several years ago. They went through the production factory, and what not. If I remember hearing right, the pistons themselves are 350 Cubic inches. Seems like the motors put out 5,000 or 6,000 horses.
I don't think that's the engine in today's locomotives. General Motors EMD's SD70ACE locomotive uses a V-16, and General Electric's GEVO is a V-12. They're in the 5,000hp neighborhood. If I recall right, they have both AC and DC versions of those locomotives. Usually Norfolk Southern runs DC, and CSX runs AC. I don't know about the other roads.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPIDarkAngel View Post
I don't think that's the engine in today's locomotives. General Motors EMD's SD70ACE locomotive uses a V-16, and General Electric's GEVO is a V-12. They're in the 5,000hp neighborhood. If I recall right, they have both AC and DC versions of those locomotives. Usually Norfolk Southern runs DC, and CSX runs AC. I don't know about the other roads.
I've heard they have both. Electric and diesel. I guess it's like having a generator, in case something happens to the motor.

Cadillac made a V-16 way back in the 30's - 40's.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 10-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Senior Board Member

The Deltic was used in England for Locomotives and in Submarines also. The 710 series that EMD is using right now each piston displaces 710 cubic inches PER CYLINDER and they come in V-16's only. GE uses a V-12 were each one is 900 Cubic Inches and there is a V-16 that can make 6000 HP out there. Now EMD has another one that is over 1010 per cylinder however that design SUCKED worse than Cats ACERT.