User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Handicap parking.

This thread probably makes about as much sense as throwing a stick in a creek, but I have a question.
Our warehouse is right behind the Flyin J (Lubbock). The warehouse was running behind last night, so I bob-tailed over to the J, just to look around inside. I pulled in the back entry/exit, and parked up front where the RVs, etc park. As I made my way though the parking lot, towards the fuel island, I noticed a couple of handicap spots in the (truck) parking lot, on the corner of the front row.
I guess that is the first time I've seen 'handicap parking' in a truck stop parking lot.
Dumb question- Why are there 'handicap' parking spots in truck stops? Does the FMCSA allow those who are handicapped to drive (trucks)? I'm sure there are a lot of drivers that are handicapped in the head. I know there are lots, and lots of 'older' drivers out there that don't 'get around' quite like they used to, which I understand. I am sure I will follow my parents' footsteps. I am only 35 and I can tell ya when the weather is going to change. :eek2: Are those spots for those that have 'the most experience', you might say? Or could it be the fact that the federal law requires 'handicap' parking?
I just couldn't imagine seeing some driver getting out of his truck, and then sit down in a wheel chair, or using a walker. No disrespect meant, and not that one couldn't do it, but that would be a scary thought. :hellno:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 10-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Board Regular

I've seen handicap spots in almost all truckstops. One thing you have to remember, it may not be the driver that is handicapped. The driver may have a wife or child with him/her that has a disability.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Board Regular

I used to think those spots were a waste of good parking space, too. One day I saw a guy with one leg and a crutch climb out his truck at the fuel island. He had a sticker on the side of the cab that said something like "The driver of this vehicle carries a DOT medical waiver."
But I would guess that like all handicapped parking spots the person who parks in it is only borrowing a mirror tag from their mother in law (who only has it because she weighs 550 lbs and can't take 3 steps without running out of air).
Old 10-22-2009, 02:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Being handicapped doesn't mean you have to be in a wheelchair!!! or missing a leg for that matter!!!
Take me for instance, I have had 3 knee surgeries and walking long distances is rough because of the arthritis, sure I am sore at the end of the driving day, but am still a productive member of our society!!
I think they need more handicapped spaces closer to the truck stop facility's. I was your age once, so treasure the freedom your body gives you now!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Board Icon

I was thinking about the 'older' drivers. I know there are many out there that may not be able to walk across the parking lot from the back row. I guess I didn't think about the passenger.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 10-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
so treasure the freedom your body gives you now!
You ain't kiddin'
I think I'm starting to lose my hearing a little.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm still fully functional but I have seen plenty of ppl that have issues that handicap them but don't put them in a position to disqualify them from driving a truck.