User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Cold Fire

I posted about this product on another board tonight after reading about a driver that had a close call and a few flare ups with a powder extinguisher. Not sure if the 411 is here at CAD. CF has been around a while so feel free to shop around. The product is listed here along with the available options. Personally, I prefer the refill and 125 psi water can application because it's worth the $$ IMO.

RV Safety Systems Product 1
Old 10-16-2009, 05:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Keith you old Dalmation!! Howz it been burnin? You getting to see lot's of fire action??

That "Cold Fire" stuff, has been around a lot of years (just under a different name). Since 83 at least, that I can remember. It was used in computer rooms...remember them huge computers back then? They were used in there, so damage could be limited.

Them companies quickly learned that any liquid, is bad for computer hardware.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Is it Halon? If so, I thought that stuff was illegal because of the ozone damage.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Board Regular

Thanks for asking Stan and doing good. Ya CF isn't halon and Mal is correct abut it being phased out. The nice thing about CF compared to powder is that, powder settles and allows re ignition if a motor or tires/brakes are still hot enough to flash. But CF knocks down the fire and cools the "fuel" below ignition temperature.Remember the fire triangle? Take away - Fuel - O2 - Temp = knock down.
Being next to tires when they decided to let loose is an underwear changing experience the first time, then you eventually quit flinching because you expect it. lol

I forgot to mention that some computers deserve to burn.....

Last edited by Kurbski; 10-16-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Is it Halon? If so, I thought that stuff was illegal because of the ozone damage.
Wow Halon, I ain't heard that since my active duty days in the Navy . I doubt that it's Halon because that stuff sucks all the oxygen out of the air to put out a fire.

We (in the navy) had it in our engine rooms. If a fire broke out that was not manageable, you set off the Halon system. In order for it to be effective, all ventilation would need to be secured as well as all water/air tight doors and you HOPE that all personnel were evacuated before it went off. It literally depletes all the oxygen in the space.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice View Post
Wow Halon, I ain't heard that since my active duty days in the Navy . I doubt that it's Halon because that stuff sucks all the oxygen out of the air to put out a fire.

We (in the navy) had it in our engine rooms. If a fire broke out that was not manageable, you set off the Halon system. In order for it to be effective, all ventilation would need to be secured as well as all water/air tight doors and you HOPE that all personnel were evacuated before it went off. It literally depletes all the oxygen in the space.
Ya that was a step back in time. I was an HT and use to install and mantain the fp180 pumps that would mix salt water and foam along with the AFFF/PKP twin agent systems that went down into the " hole" for FF. The nastiest crap ever was that protein foam made from cow blood and guts. Co2 was pretty common back in the late 70's also. We didnt have halon yet out there on the ships but now they probably have an ipone app for FF.LOL