User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Arghhhh

Why does this crap always happen when it looks like you've got a good day going? I was expecting a nice short day on a Friday - home at a decent time, etc.

I had a delivery scheduled for this morning in Chester, PA (south Philly). After that, I was scheduled to pickup a load in Media, PA (about 15 miles away). Because I knew the delivery would take the load early, I took it in last night, then came to my pickup location to park for the night. I started the truck this morning to build the air so I could pull into the dock (1st truck). It ran fine for about 15 minutes, when all of a sudden *boom* - no more alternator.

The belt's still on it, but it's fried nonetheless.

So, now I've got to sit and wait until our shop opens at 8am so that they can get a service truck out here - yay me.

The only "plus" on my end is that when I turned the truck in the other day for the exhaust, I also had it written up that there was a squealing noise coming from the front of the engine. The mechanic said that there wasn't anything wrong. No problem - their lower priced in-house repair is now going to cost them a fortune for a road repair.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Why does this crap always happen when it looks like you've got a good day going? I was expecting a nice short day on a Friday - home at a decent time, etc.

I had a delivery scheduled for this morning in Chester, PA (south Philly). After that, I was scheduled to pickup a load in Media, PA (about 15 miles away). Because I knew the delivery would take the load early, I took it in last night, then came to my pickup location to park for the night. I started the truck this morning to build the air so I could pull into the dock (1st truck). It ran fine for about 15 minutes, when all of a sudden *boom* - no more alternator.

The belt's still on it, but it's fried nonetheless.

So, now I've got to sit and wait until our shop opens at 8am so that they can get a service truck out here - yay me.

The only "plus" on my end is that when I turned the truck in the other day for the exhaust, I also had it written up that there was a squealing noise coming from the front of the engine. The mechanic said that there wasn't anything wrong. No problem - their lower priced in-house repair is now going to cost them a fortune for a road repair.
Would this be one of the mechanics that replaces the carburator because the exhaust is plugged??? (Oh yeah... That certainly did happen.)

Old 09-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Board Member

LOL - no - our mechanics (one in particular) is just too lazy to actually do the work that's needed.

Because of his laziness, the company just had to pay out $793 to have an alternator put on the truck this morning. Good...
Old 09-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Well - you all know the saying "When it rains - it pours"? Well, it does...

Got the alternator fixed this morning and drove to Cumberland, MD for my unload. As I got off the interstate onto MD 51, the throttle pedal decides to snap off on the truck. Where I was had no shoulder whatsoever, so I was blocking a travel lane.

This happened about 3:30pm. I instantly started calling my shop, who work until 4pm - ya, right... I finally had to call one of the company owners at home. By the time I got hold of him, the city police were there and said that the truck had to be towed. The owner authorized it.

The tow was for 5 miles to the location where I'm unloading. The cost - $600 (for the tow bill alone). When I called the owner back to get the TCH check, I thought he was going to have a coronary.

Now I'm sitting here waiting on one of our mechanics to get here to swap out the throttle.

I'm soooooo glad that this isn't my own truck.

That makes a total of $1,392 they paid out today on this truck. The truck hasn't even made that much money all week.