User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Schneider Transport to close 2 terminals

My stepfather's brother works in the maintenance department of Schneider Transport in Green Bay, WI. Apparently, they just had a huge company wide meeting today, and announced as of October 15, 2009, they are closing their doors. This is supposed to be announced in the next week or so. Whether it is true or not, I don't know, but I can't imagine any reason why they'd lie to their employees.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:45 AM

This is an article dated from today. They are defintiely closing down some more operating centers and the one in Green Bay is one of them. It doesnt say anything about closing the company down yet.

Schneider National closing operating centers in Green Bay, Ohio
By Joe Taschler of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Sept. 16, 2009 5:46 p.m.

Schneider National, Inc. said Wednesday it will close operating centers in Green Bay and Seville, Ohio, on Nov. 17.

The move will result in 50 jobs being cut in Green Bay and 55 in Ohio. No driving positions are affected.

The two locations are the least utilized within the company's network of national driver facilities, Green Bay-based Schneider said in a statement.

"We regularly assess our operating center locations to ensure that we have a cost effective and business efficient network… Freight flows, driver domiciles, customer locations and the maintenance and fueling requirements of our fleet are all taken into consideration," said Mark Rourke, president, van/truckload for Schneider.

Operating centers handle fuel, maintenance and operations duties, the company said.

Workers who are being cut can apply for any other openings at the company. They will also be offered severance packages, career transition services and an extended employee assistance program.

Schneider will also host job fairs in Seville and Green Bay for those affected by the cutbacks.

Schneider employs more than 19,000 people worldwide.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Are you talking about the big orange pumpkin trucks???

Edit: He posted the news article the same time I was doing this post
Old 09-17-2009, 03:49 AM

Here is another write up from today.This one gives the date for those 2 closures as being November 17th which would be a full month after the date that they are supposedly closing the doors for the company.

Schneider National Eliminating 105 Jobs in Green Bay and Ohio
Updated: Sep 16, 2009 6:14 PM CDT
Schneider National is closing two fueling and maintenance facilities, resulting in the loss of 105 jobs.

The company announced Wednesday afternoon the facilities located in Green Bay and in Seville, Ohio, will officially close November 17th.

The closings eliminate 50 maintenance and driver services positions in Green Bay and 55 in Ohio.

The company says it will move 80 other staffers in the Green Bay facilities to another facility in Green Bay.

No driver positions are affected.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:08 AM
Board Icon

Yup - you're right. They just did a news story on the local news about it. 50 jobs affected. Thanks for the clarification.

I know they consolidated all their operations up in Green Bay earlier this year too. It seems odd to hear that Green Bay is shutting down, since that's where their headquarters is.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
Yup - you're right. They just did a news story on the local news about it. 50 jobs affected. Thanks for the clarification.

I know they consolidated all their operations up in Green Bay earlier this year too. It seems odd to hear that Green Bay is shutting down, since that's where their headquarters is.
I was digging around on google for a bit and read some stuff from a few months back as well and I would say it shouldnt be a big surprise if they cut some more stuff out soon if the economy and freight doesnt do a decent improvement soon. Sounds like between the ridiculous fuel prices last year and the economy this year they have been beat up pretty good. They have managed to keep the doors open and not really get rid of drivers but it does look like they have had some hard times these last couple of years...hard as far as large carriers go anyway....And yes i was thinking the same thing that it's kind of weird they are closing the Green Bay center down.