User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default nav without truckrouting software and no one to call, advise pls

hello all, finaly got my license in order and finally got a job. Not glamorous even by trucking standards but it keeps me behind the wheel until I can get my accidents straight. I have found an issue that makes this job rather interesting though. Might help hone my drivings skills but can land me in hot water as well if I'm not careful. I haul for a plant farm and deliver multiple stops to various stores located downtown from ga to va. They give me an address and that's it. I will eventualy sink money into some truck routing softwere but till i get the money to do that I have to make due with my gps for cars. Yeh, i know about the guide in the front of the road atlas for bridges so thats not my bigest concern but i still have weight restrcted bridges, resedential and just plain, no truck roads. is there any tricks others have used to keep out of hot water in this situation? or is it as simple as go down a road and pray to don't end up in one of these areas?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You should not have to worry much about low over passes in Virginia and Georgia. You will find that most are well marked. You can always check your Rand McNally. There is a section which lists low overpasses by state in the front. That is all that I use. As long as your drops are on major highways it should not be an issue. Even if you get the GPS you still may be routed on roads with low clearances. There are still bugs in most of those currently on the market. There is nothing like paying attention to road signs and checking your Rand McNally. Get the one that is ringed and laminated. You can often find them at a discount at most truck stops when the new editions come out. Call the consignee before leaving and get directions and they will likely help you find the best route without having to worry about low overpasses.