Old 08-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh View Post
It is a sad thing that a company would do this and jeopardize the safety of not only its drivers, but a public as well. I never did understand the logic behind things like this. How much money will you save by refusing to fix the problem right there. THat tire will go out if not today then tomorrow for sure..

I never try to save money by refusing to repair whatever.

The company may not have the money to replace those tires if they are hauling cheap freight. They may run it until it blows just to save some money short term. I spoke with a guy the other day who told me that he has seen a lot of his fellow owner operators who have been driving some very thin rubber on their trucks.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Senior Board Member

I guess the company doesn't realize that it's a lot cheaper to replace the tire in their own shop by their own mechanics than it is to pay for a road service on it.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:39 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
The company may not have the money to replace those tires if they are hauling cheap freight. They may run it until it blows just to save some money short term. I spoke with a guy the other day who told me that he has seen a lot of his fellow owner operators who have been driving some very thin rubber on their trucks.
Yeah, you are probably right. When i replaced my tires couple of months ago i gave up my goodyears which people said could run at least a 100K more. I never think twice about things like braked,tires and pretty much everything else than needs to be done. That truck takes care of my family and me and i need to take care of it as well...we all do.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Rookie

I wouldn't have pulled it period...I would have kept going up the chain of command until someone either cared or got sick of me and assigned me a new trailer...not worth the hassle or problems you have to deal with after an accident
Old 08-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post

Bulls eye!

Here's a story just as frightening. My mechanic got a phone call a few weeks ago from a driver of a medium sized trucking company. He was shut down along I83 in MD. He said the truck would not stop. Bob (the mechanic) went out and met him and got him back to shop. S cam had flipped over on trailer. After looking the trailer over he determined the trailer needed new brakes and drums.

The company was contacted and told Bob to just put brakes on it. Bob said absolutely not, there shot, no good. Long story short Bob told the company to have their lawyer draw up a letter relieving him of any responsibility and he would do it.

The company called about two hours later and told him to "put the f**king drums on" ( not very professional). The company also told the driver to bring the old drums back with him. Bobs guess is that they'll use them on another trailer.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle_2006 View Post
Get the Shop to sign Repairs NOT NEEDED for Safe Operation of Vechile on your Inspection form since they told you to run it. Then find the NEAREST Scale that is open walk in and ask for a FULL DOT CHECK. If they are letting tires like this thru what else are they letting run on the road. IIRC if the cords are showing the tire has to be removed.

I've seen this advise before but you do realize that when you get written up for the tires, the violation goes on your personal MVR as well as the companies? Unsafe Vehicle Operation tickets WILL increase your PERSONAL insurance for your POV.

I agree I would not have pulled it either. I was once told to run a tire after explaining how bad it was to the dispatcher. I took a picture with my cell phone and sent it to the owner. Got a call in about 2 minutes telling me what tire shop to take it to!
Old 08-16-2009, 03:00 AM
Board Icon

Your in a Catch-22 with no good way out it. You run it, chances are your going to get busted or worse, have a nasty blowout and maybe cause some damage or worse, a wreck. You buck up and say you ain't gonna run it no matter what, that it isn't safe and legal, the company is going to bury you for that. They will take the load off you, give the trailer to someone who could careless and leave you sitting waiting on a load for days on end to punish you for being insubordinate.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Senior Board Member

I printed the pics off and showed them to a buddy of mine. He is a current DOT trooper in IL. I also told him what I would have done if I had been ordered to pull the trailer. Here is his answer Verbatum. He would have placed me OOS for the tires and Written the tickets to the Mechanic and the Owner of the company that refused to replace them. Also would have crawled over that truck with a fine tooth comb and made forced them to repair anything else on the side of the road before allowing me to continue.

He feels if they are sending trailers with tires out like that WHAT ELSE ARE THEY DOING TO SAVE A BUCK.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:14 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Even if you run those tires they most likely will not last very long. My guess is that they will come apart shortly. It looks like someone got into some sharp rocks.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Just haul it into the closest tire shop and tell em you need new tires. After they're done call for a PO. If they give ya flak for it, tell em to take it up with the safety guy.