User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thank you North Carolina........

for not closing any rest areas.

So, the other night we had some sausage for dinner. I had to get up at 2 am the following morning to start my day which consisted of driving from MD to NC to deliver. Now 2am is not my normal schedule so it was hard to do my "business" that early, although I tried. I knew the sausage would hit later, however I didn't realize the seriousness of the events that were to follow..................

Right around Richmond, VA I start to percolate, no big deal I thought, there's a rest area on 85, I'll swing in there and get this taken of. Well, it was CLOSED.

OK, there's another one near the weigh station further down the road, I think I can make it. Well, that one was........ CLOSED!! :hellno:

At this point it's becoming a seriously uncomfortable problem. I'm pinchin cheeks

North Carolina can't come fast enough. I cross the line and hope for a welcome center (I'm not real familiar with I85) There it is, the welcome center sign I had hoped for and on the horizon is.............. the welcome center of coarse.

I park the truck, step out the door and carefully step down to the ground making sure to hold my cargo, so to speak. Then, I see to get to the building I have to climb a set of steps, oh God not steps. Anyone close to 40 or over knows that you can't quite hold it like you use to could and steps can present a catastrophic and quite embarrassing problem. I carefully climb the stairs while clamping down with everything I had. I made it!!!

Now, onto the building in a hurry, through the door, and into the bathroom. I was in such a state of emergency I failed to notice that I went to side of the bathrooms that was closed, I walked right through the yellow signs that said "CLOSED", however I think it worked out for the best.

I scurried to first stall I see, close the door, check the seat, rip down the shorts and let it go. It was coming either way there was no stopping it. Ahh.... Euphoria :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm thankful to NC, I was so thankful I flushed twice, and I'm also thankful that no one was hurt or maimed in all this.

and a huge :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: to Virginia. They saved eight million by closing a bunch of rest areas, but had I not made it the clean up alone would have cost much more than that.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Senior Board Member

LMFAO

Glad everything came out ok in the 'end'
Old 08-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I've never had that problem from eating sausage...

But VA is one of the states that feels trucks do not belong in the rest areas. One of the reasons I do not like running the east coast. And, the further north you go along the east coast, the less I like it.

Left here and went to KC, KS on the first leg out, then from St Joe, MO to Ft Wayne, IN, to Chicago, and back here. Far better running than VA whether you need a rest area or not.

Glad you were able to make it. I've heard of drivers that pulled over on the shoulder, leaned against the tandems, and let go. Also heard of sitting between the tandems and... No, I have NEVER tried it.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
I've never had that problem from eating sausage...

But VA is one of the states that feels trucks do not belong in the rest areas. One of the reasons I do not like running the east coast. And, the further north you go along the east coast, the less I like it.

Left here and went to KC, KS on the first leg out, then from St Joe, MO to Ft Wayne, IN, to Chicago, and back here. Far better running than VA whether you need a rest area or not.

Glad you were able to make it. I've heard of drivers that pulled over on the shoulder, leaned against the tandems, and let go. Also heard of sitting between the tandems and... No, I have NEVER tried it.

Party Pooper! (pun intended)
Old 08-02-2009, 06:06 AM
Board Regular

Man I can sympathize.

I just went through about 3 weeks of the raging craps. I think the only reason they ended is the doctor told me I had to collect stool samples. When I got the instructions I think it shocked my body into wellness. I was doing everything listed above plus a trash can in the sleeper.

It really was the *****z

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"
Old 08-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Board Icon

Rosty, here's a PDF list of all the VA rest areas that tells which oen's are open and which one's are closed: http://www.virginiadot.org/news/reso...C_Closures.pdf

State Police are not happy about this. They have seen a major increase in trucks using ramps to park along with trucks getting inventive in creating a parking spot. They have also seen an increase of trucks and cars alike, stopping on shoulders and people running into the woods to do their business.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Rosty, here's a PDF list of all the VA rest areas that tells which oen's are open and which one's are closed: http://www.virginiadot.org/news/reso...C_Closures.pdf

State Police are not happy about this. They have seen a major increase in trucks using ramps to park along with trucks getting inventive in creating a parking spot. They have also seen an increase of trucks and cars alike, stopping on shoulders and people running into the woods to do their business.
Thanks for list Mr.Ford. I bet the State Police aren't happy, anytime a vehicle is along the interstate it creates a hazard. Me and my wife have been discussing this and I believe what will happen is that VA will reopen after enough complaints BUT will charge for the use of the rest area. And we all know once the politicians get they're hands on some money, they're hard pressed to reverse it when the economy improves.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:03 AM
Board Icon

I noticed the exact same thing heading down 95 yesterday. Most of the Virginia rest areas were closed. In fact, the only one that pops in my head that was open was the one with the weigh station attached to it. As soon as I crossed over into North Carolina, they were all open.

Thankfully, I didn't have the same reason for needing one as you did.:lol:
Old 08-03-2009, 04:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post

Yeah, Along 81 at night they are lining up like i've never seen.. I knew it was coming but i think the Ol' Blue and Sliver might just let them be...

VA Department of Transportation just sucks!! From F$$#$% roads to this Rest Area Closure BS!! But the guys that plan on getting elected into offices plans to have them back open with in a 3 months of taking offices in January of Next Year... so who knows!! Until then, if you coming through VA just find parking Early and there's Two Big Truck Stops on 95 that you can stop at that have parking all times of the night

The T/A at Exit 89
Sadlers @ Exit 11 in Emporia

and for my I-81 Super Truckers.. If you can't make it to the Lee-Hi at the 195 any point Just shut her down lol"
Old 08-03-2009, 04:21 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
Yeah, Along 81 at night they are lining up like i've never seen.. I knew it was coming but i think the Ol' Blue and Sliver might just let them be...

VA Department of Transportation just sucks!! From F$$#$% roads to this Rest Area Closure BS!! But the guys that plan on getting elected into offices plans to have them back open with in a 3 months of taking offices in January of Next Year... so who knows!! Until then, if you coming through VA just find parking Early and there's Two Big Truck Stops on 95 that you can stop at that have parking all times of the night

The T/A at Exit 89
Sadlers @ Exit 11 in Emporia

and for my I-81 Super Truckers.. If you can't make it to the Lee-Hi at the 195 any point Just shut her down lol"
I had to check my map for that milemarker, but you're right. Lee-Hi is a good one to stop at. Much more room now that they've enlarged their lot at the bottom of the hill. I remember when it was only the area on top of the hill. But, even with the much larger truck parking, you may find it filled up. Restaurant isn't bad either. Nothing fancy, but good food from what I've had.