Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I only make left hand turns.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Ever wish that we could have rolling flasher lights like cops, ambulances, and even some tow trucks have for some of these awkward situations? They could be yellow flashers like the tow trucks just there to signal caution.

I think they should be used very minimally but might be good for anyway time you're going into the opposing lane for really wide turns.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Board Regular

The truck I drive is equipped with dual strobes on the tractor roof and dual 4" round strobes on the back of the trailer for use when hauling OD loads, and backing in a job site. I do use them when I need to swing into the oncoming lanes to make a turn. It seems to help at times, less idiots try to pass on the right and it makes me more visible to oncoming traffic.

With a 4 axle tractor and a 3 or 4 axle lowboy at times you need not only all the oncoming lanes before making the turn, but also all of them after. And when grossing over 100k, the trailer doesn't follow for ****, so it is better to take to much road and not need it than not enough and have to back up, especially when you can't see behind with a big load.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
I only make left hand turns.
I sold my steering wheel for fuel money
Old 07-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBF View Post
Rule #1: Don't hit anything.
Rule #2: Don't scare anyone.

Follow those two, every other law and regulation is covered and you need think of no further "rules".

You have to weigh the risk of vehicles sneaking up your right side if you are wide on the approach, with the risks of putting the tractor on the other side of the street.

As for the things trainers say... there is no way to get a 53 foot trailer around any standard proportioned two lane to two lane corners without putting the truck into the opposing lane somewhere, or running the trailer over the sidewalk.
This was one of the arguments that was tried by the anti-53 footer lobby prior to their approval.

They don't fit, and many smaller configurations don't fit wherever we have to go.

The other side of the road is fair game when the traffic clears.
With regard to rule #2... Some people NEED to get scared.

I've already been pulling a 48', and making a left turn, had to make cars back up. Try waiting for things to clear in Chicago, during "rush hour".

There's a corner in KY, with a utility pole right on the curb. If you walk the curb at all, you'll be just one more driver to take down that pole. It requires swinging wide going into the turn, and keeping your trailer at the curb till the last minute. I was a little surprised that traffic on the cross street was as willing to back up for me. Then, I was told that every time a driver takes that pole down, they'll be sitting there for a few hours.

And, on waiting to make the turn till it's clear enough for you to make it...
Well, let's see...
No turn on red.
anytime it's green, there's traffic waiting at the light.
If you wait till it's clear, you'll be waiting till midnight, and make your delivery the next day.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Ha! Try the turn onto Beecham street in Chelsea Mass to get to the new england produce center! I do it about once a week, it as a turn off of a 4 way to a narrow road that would barely classify as a one way road, with heavy truck and 4 wheeler traffic :P

To make a direct right hand turn you would have to swing very wide into the oncoming side (keep in mind the road is a BUSY 4 lane road), or do what I usually do, and go up the block, around the circle, come back and do it as a left hand turn, although even doing it that way you still barely clear the telephone pole, and you pray there isn't a line of trucks waiting to get back out in your way :P.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 07-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Good question and as several have pointed out this is where the truck driving school classroom collides with the real world. I watch the traffic coming from the right where I have to turn. If its light then I wait for it to clear. If not then I choose my moment and pull out. I almost always have to use the opposite lain on the incoming right to clear the corner and rarely have a problem with anyone. They pretty much see you coming and stop to give you space or back up if possible and I always wave at them to thank them. Once in a while someone will pull way over that white stop here stupid stripe. If the traffic is light i let them clear but if its continually heavy I pull wide and come right nose to nose with them and stop and look at them till they move. The corner of rte 13north and 264 east in Washington, NC is really bad for people pulling out too far into the intersection and if you cut the corner too close you will take out a pole and I'm not doing that for anyone.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
Ha! Try the turn onto Beecham street in Chelsea Mass to get to the new england produce center! I do it about once a week, it as a turn off of a 4 way to a narrow road that would barely classify as a one way road, with heavy truck and 4 wheeler traffic :P

To make a direct right hand turn you would have to swing very wide into the oncoming side (keep in mind the road is a BUSY 4 lane road), or do what I usually do, and go up the block, around the circle, come back and do it as a left hand turn, although even doing it that way you still barely clear the telephone pole, and you pray there isn't a line of trucks waiting to get back out in your way :P.

Matcat,

I was thinking you might jump in with something in that area. I'm in Malden. The guy I saw that made me start this post was a right turn in Medford heading to Malden.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Honestly, i see this all the time going into some screwed ass Wal Marts.. It all depends on the situation.. Most of the time i'll wait until things clear up and let cars go ahead, but if there is a 4 wheeler acting like a little mark and a bastard i'll make him wait and make him move.. It works everytime!!

Most cars are friendly and nice to me.. They'll wait to see what i'm about to do.. but i don't know if Jonp has been to this store yet but i know everytime i go i piss off people cause i use every bit of space and room i can get with cars behind me.. Burlington, NC Graham Hopedale.. the exit is so tight not to mention it has a damn light pole sitting on about a foot from the curb, and the past two times i've went i've had to bully a 4 wheeler into backing up because the ******* clearly seen me sitting there waiting to make a right hand turn and pulled across the line anyways!!

HAWK JR DOESNT PLAY!!