User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any drivers out here that don't own a personal car?

When I was OTR and even before that, I chose to start riding a bicycle everywhere in town after getting fed up with the usual gridlock.
Especially in areas with out of sequence traffic-lights, I usually coasted through the lanes of stopped traffic and got to places in about the same time I would if I was driving and there was no traffic.

Some think I do this for the environment or some crazy thing like that, I just do it because I want to and I also save plenty of money over not having to pay for fuel, insurance, or ridiculous CA smog requirements.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Board Icon

I've seen a lot of the college kids riding bicycles. Seems like a good way to save on expenses when you can ride your bike to school.

If our yard wasn't on a US hwy (82), I'd probably ride a bike to work. I only live about 5 miles from our yard. I don't think I would want to try to ride a bicycle on the highway. It's bad enough in a truck.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 06-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
I've seen a lot of the college kids riding bicycles. Seems like a good way to save on expenses when you can ride your bike to school.

If our yard wasn't on a US hwy (82), I'd probably ride a bike to work. I only live about 5 miles from our yard. I don't think I would want to try to ride a bicycle on the highway. It's bad enough in a truck.
As far as school goes, I'm thinking I'll prosper alot better if I relocate from this dustbowl to someplace that's actually safe for it(Albuquerque, or Portland, OR from my OTR travels).
I mean, there's areas where the shoulder or lane is more than wide enough to fit both a motor vehicle and a bicycle with no problem, but then you get the four-wheeled dippy-do who thinks only their carriage is worthy of rolling down that pavement.

As for the college kids, they do this all throughout school, but then afterwards, most, not all, fall prey to the venom and get behind the steer of the four-wheeled coffin of boredom.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Board Regular

I'd probably get some small scooter instead of a bicycle, guess I am just too lazy

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Lips View Post
I'd probably get some small scooter instead of a bicycle, guess I am just too lazy
I thought about one of those, but it's either pedals, or 850cc's+ for myself.
There's plenty of other uses for motor vehicles, I mean, for trips over 20 miles I'll usually rent a car and get business done that way.
But, maybe in the near future, I'll get myself a basic, yet decent sport-cruiser to complement my skinny-tire equipped, Trek mountain bike.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Board Icon

A bike is great for college kids that live on campus. Go to a large school and the campus is spread out over 5 miles and parking is horrible so a bike is the next best thing besides waiting on a shuttle bus. Only problem, it is bound to get stolen so you better have a cheap one. After college, depends on where they get a job, some may continue to ride but others may not be able to.

I'd love to ride my bike to work everyday, only problem is that there are way too many dangerous drivers out there in that 20 miles. I used to do 50 mile bike rides on weekends when I was in High School all the time.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
A bike is great for college kids that live on campus. Go to a large school and the campus is spread out over 5 miles and parking is horrible so a bike is the next best thing besides waiting on a shuttle bus. Only problem, it is bound to get stolen so you better have a cheap one. After college, depends on where they get a job, some may continue to ride but others may not be able to.

I'd love to ride my bike to work everyday, only problem is that there are way too many dangerous drivers out there in that 20 miles. I used to do 50 mile bike rides on weekends when I was in High School all the time.
Kryptonite U-locks and locking in a "non-visible" place tends to help.

As far as Victorville goes, I try to stay off the major roads as much as possible, but unfortunately, I live right next to a 55mph main-drag and the area is split into three by the Mojave River, UPRR/BNSF Tracks, and the 15 freeway.
Rather than make underpasses and pedestrian crossings, residents here are left with overcrossings that are spread 2-8 miles apart from each other.
As far as bad drivers go, I've only gotten into a couple of shouting matches thus far, but, the U-Lock comes in handy for that as well.