User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 04:19 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Truckin just lost one of the best

My husband and a true professional driver passed away Tuesday evening in a motel, away from home and his family who loved him. He was considered a local driver, but one night a week he had to stay in a motel as he had to travel further than HOS would allow him to get back home. He was part of the Budweiser support team for the state of Montana, drove a heavy haul to deliver beer to distribution warehouses all around the state. He was the only 'Dad' our two grandson's, age 6 and 3 have ever known, as they have lived in our home with their Mom since they were both born, not to mention my wonderful husband of 23 years.
I have a question...even though he was not in the truck at the time of his death, he was on the job, as his company provided the motel and he was still working with his semi parked outside the motel. Will I get workman's comp payments from his company since it was a death on the job? Myself, our daughter and the grandsons he so cherished will be homeless in a matter of months if we can't get something going to help generate some extra dollars to off-set our loss of income from his job. There is a 10,000 life insurance policy that the company provided to him, but nothing else. I work 30 hours a week, but he was the main breadwinner.
His fellow drivers and warehouse people have wrapped their arms around our family and been at our door offering help, buying an urn for the memorial and supporting the four of us in every way possible, one of the went to the crematorium and picked up his ashes and let him 'ride shotgun' in his truck to save me having to drive 230 miles to pick them up.
Truckers are the best and they all have hearts of gold.
Please if anyone can give me an idea on this workers comp question, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't think you'll get the workman's comp due to the fact that he was technically off duty and in a motel. Also, I'm assuming he died of natural causes.

Luckily, the funeral costs should be covered with the death benfit. We mourn your loss, and your family is in my prayers.

-Bandit
Old 06-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am very sorry to hear about your husband. I believe that the only way to collect through workers comp is to have a work related accident. For instance, if he had fallen while entering or exiting his truck, was injured and subsequently died due to his injuries then the workers comp would likely kick in. I don't believe dying of natural causes will be covered unless you can prove it was somehow work related. I would check with his company and see if they could advise you.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

You may be entitled to Social Security benefits. Sorry for your loss, SM.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephoneispapa View Post
My husband and a true professional driver passed away Tuesday evening in a motel, away from home and his family who loved him. He was considered a local driver, but one night a week he had to stay in a motel as he had to travel further than HOS would allow him to get back home. He was part of the Budweiser support team for the state of Montana, drove a heavy haul to deliver beer to distribution warehouses all around the state. He was the only 'Dad' our two grandson's, age 6 and 3 have ever known, as they have lived in our home with their Mom since they were both born, not to mention my wonderful husband of 23 years.
I have a question...even though he was not in the truck at the time of his death, he was on the job, as his company provided the motel and he was still working with his semi parked outside the motel. Will I get workman's comp payments from his company since it was a death on the job? Myself, our daughter and the grandsons he so cherished will be homeless in a matter of months if we can't get something going to help generate some extra dollars to off-set our loss of income from his job. There is a 10,000 life insurance policy that the company provided to him, but nothing else. I work 30 hours a week, but he was the main breadwinner.
His fellow drivers and warehouse people have wrapped their arms around our family and been at our door offering help, buying an urn for the memorial and supporting the four of us in every way possible, one of the went to the crematorium and picked up his ashes and let him 'ride shotgun' in his truck to save me having to drive 230 miles to pick them up.
Truckers are the best and they all have hearts of gold.
Please if anyone can give me an idea on this workers comp question, I would greatly appreciate it.
What is his name??

Was he a "Butte" boy by birth??

Just wondering if I might have known him, since I grew up in Twin Bridges....Chowed down at PorkChop John's and Lydia's and partied at the M&M...Club It...and a few other spots as a youngster.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:39 AM
Board Icon

I am also sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. God Bless.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 06-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Senior Board Member

There may be Social Security benefits available to you. If you don't have a lawyer, there will be plenty of them listed in your phone book under that speciality. I would talk to a few of them to get a sense for what is available, how their fees are structured and who will be your best advocate.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Keep your chin up and good luck to you.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Board Regular

Sorry for you loss, his illness that took his life might be job related, talk to a workers comp attorney.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Board Regular

Do Not Weep
Mary Frye

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!

My wife keeps a copy of this poem for whenever she thinks of her mother..Our hearts go out to you in your time of grief.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 06-28-2009, 01:43 AM
Rookie

Thanks and God Bless you all for your condolances. The memorial service is tomorrow and seems like so many people coming and going, (kids, brothers and sisters) it is really hard to focus on the issues at hand. Probably will not be able to get Workers comp, but that's neither here nor there...would much rather have my husband back anyway. Our daughter and her two boys ages 3 and 6 live with us also, so have some decisions to make for a family of four now. The oldest boy has Type one diabetes, so she is unable to find daycare here in Montana as they won't take on the liability.

Hey Orangetxguy, His name is Arnold, Born and raised in San Diego area. Sounds like you definitly know your way around the Mining City. We moved to Montana in 89 but have only been in Butte for three years.

Again, thank you all for your kind words.