User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 04:06 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I've been away from satellite radio for a couple of years, what has changed?

I had satellite radio (XM) back in 2007 and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The main problem I had was some bad reception whenever I came close to large cities. I will be getting sattelite radio again soon, what type of antenna do you recomend?

Do you prefer Sirius or XM??

Is Mirge availible yet?
Old 06-03-2009, 04:39 AM

I too had an XM and turned it off due to reception and the fact that I was not driving as much. I have recently found that a few of the channels are available via Welcome to Moodio! | Moodio. I am listening to the 80's, 70's, and Road Dog Trucking via moodio and my blackberry. The best part is this is all FREE, and I love that!

Now, Sirius and XM have merged but they still seem to be supporting the old sirius and old xm receivers. I hear them advertising premium channels like Stern and Oprah all the time, so you will need to find a package that gives you the content you want.

I have a lot of stations on my Moodio profile, and also have Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music on my Blackberry, so i could go for days without needing a terrestrial station around, as long as my Blackberry gets service.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Senior Board Member

I have the same Sirius radio I have had for 2 years! I use the stock factory antenna that came with it, in this Pete 379 I have the antenna mounted on top of one of the marker lights on the roof, I have yet to lose a signal even when I go to Florida (Always got a crappy signal there in any other truck). After the merger some channels from XM got ported over to Sirius, and some Sirius channels got ported over to XM. Some channels completely merged together (I.E. Sirius and XM's trucking channels merged together, it is still the same name and format as the Sirius trucking channel, however they incorporated some of XM's trucking shows into it). Also both Sirius and XM offer premium Best Of channels from the other, but having Sirius there is nothing XM offers on the Best Off that I care for.

Ultimately I listen to Classic Vinyl, Lithium, and Road Dog. Very rare will you find me on any other channel.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 06-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Senior Board Member

I dropped my subscription after they dropped the Boombox-39 channel in favor of some Pop2k station aimed at younger listeners who like the typical, mainstream garbage being heard nowadays.

Then there were also alot of the FM transceivers in the newer-units, low-power stations on the 88 range seemed to bleed through much of the time.

Listening to "Shake Your Groove Thing" one minute, then it's either an FM Spanish or Christian rock station bleeding and drowning out the satellite music.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I dropped my subscription after they dropped the Boombox-39 channel in favor of some Pop2k station aimed at younger listeners who like the typical, mainstream garbage being heard nowadays.

Then there were also alot of the FM transceivers in the newer-units, low-power stations on the 88 range seemed to bleed through much of the time.

Listening to "Shake Your Groove Thing" one minute, then it's either an FM Spanish or Christian rock station bleeding and drowning out the satellite music.
That is why you either use a cassette adapter or an inline antenna adapter, or aux input if your radio has one.

The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
That is why you either use a cassette adapter or an inline antenna adapter, or aux input if your radio has one.
When I was Swift, the radio I had then was equipped with a strong transceiver, there was little-to-no bleed-through whatsoever.
The newer one I got when I drove with the suck-outfit had a weaker transceiver and the truck radio had no aux-input, or tape-deck.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
When I was Swift, the radio I had then was equipped with a strong transceiver, there was little-to-no bleed-through whatsoever.
The newer one I got when I drove with the suck-outfit had a weaker transceiver and the truck radio had no aux-input, or tape-deck.
That is why they make inline antenna adapters, it connects to the Sirius radio via the FM Transmitter plug, goes behind the actual radio, and connects to the antenna connector of the radio, and the antenna connects into it, then you set your frequency and it pumps it directly to the radio, doesn't matter what frequency, it will override any broadcast. Though when I was with swift I took the factory radio out and put my own unit in. I miss that system, I had about 2000 watts including a 1000watt sub . Other 1000 watts was split between the factory speakers I replaced. (I put all of the factory stuff back in upon leaving them).

The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Senior Board Member

I've been a little irritated lately....seems some of the so-called DJ's spend entirely too much time yapping about crap I could care less about.... Frankly, I could care less which celebrity is fooling around with who or what.... I wish they would just put a lid on it and play the music.

Other than that.....I have XM and I went to the trouble of getting one of the mirror mounted larger antennas....my original antenna that stuck on beat itself to death one day in the wind before I could stop.....

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
That is why they make inline antenna adapters, it connects to the Sirius radio via the FM Transmitter plug, goes behind the actual radio, and connects to the antenna connector of the radio, and the antenna connects into it, then you set your frequency and it pumps it directly to the radio, doesn't matter what frequency, it will override any broadcast. Though when I was with swift I took the factory radio out and put my own unit in. I miss that system, I had about 2000 watts including a 1000watt sub . Other 1000 watts was split between the factory speakers I replaced. (I put all of the factory stuff back in upon leaving them).
it wont override every broadcast, i get static when that station comes in really well, it isnt a pain though, i just switch to my other preset, i use either 88.3 or 89.5...the FM direct adapter works wonders...only 20 bucks or so too
Old 06-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
I've been a little irritated lately....seems some of the so-called DJ's spend entirely too much time yapping about crap I could care less about.... Frankly, I could care less which celebrity is fooling around with who or what.... I wish they would just put a lid on it and play the music.

Other than that.....I have XM and I went to the trouble of getting one of the mirror mounted larger antennas....my original antenna that stuck on beat itself to death one day in the wind before I could stop.....
I dunno, I sort of like hearing some of the 'artist news' they talk about on Classic Vinyl, keeps me in the know I couldn't live without my Sirius. I only paid for it for 2 months, and it lasted 2 years before they cut it off 2 weeks ago, I about had a heart attack without it. I went 2 entire days without it, aimlessly wondering around FM stations. I finally got so strung out, I had to check out AM too! And in my lowest point of desperation, I listened to NOAA for 30 minutes. But I finally scrounged up the cash to get back my subscription. I felt like a crack head getting a hit after getting out of rehab.

The answers are there,
But I do not know where.