User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 03:03 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default School seemed easier during better economic times.

When I got some basic classes out of the way back in '05-'06, I noticed the classes were actually plentiful and they weren't as packed as sardine cans.

Now, with everyone having to stay closer to home and no other work being available, there seems to be a larger-than-ever, influx of returning students and the typical, teenagers that just graduated high-school and have parents that think college is a day-care center.
Then of course there's the other factor of state budgets being cut, which leads to less classes being available and less staff to handle the load.

As good of an idea as it is for everyone to tell me to finish up, or start back-up college, I should've just done this while times were still good.

It's become a literal zoo, more-so for California and it's college system.
35 million people is alot of people to really do anything with effectively.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Just thought I'd bump this post to see if anyone else is experiencing this same problem elsewhere.

I'm a firm-believer in the fact that smaller class sizes usually equate to better results, did with me anyway.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Board Regular

I'm going back to school. I have noticed that the school I go to is full.I think it has to do with the State Lottery coming to town and giving all recent high school graduates with a C grade point average free money to go to school.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged View Post
I'm going back to school. I have noticed that the school I go to is full.I think it has to do with the State Lottery coming to town and giving all recent high school graduates with a C grade point average free money to go to school.
That's one of the main problems, not enough is being done to encourage working people to go back to school.
The other gripe I have is that the "Learning Center" we have at the local college is an unofficial, kick-back room for all the 17-20 year old, "can't-be-home-during-the-day" kids.

Almost got into a shoving match with some smart-mouth who kept throwing a coin on the ground while I was using the math-lab computers.
But, I just signed up for two Summer courses, so there's a good chance those types will be busy getting chased by the sheriff's department in Lake Havasu.

Not to mention the 6 week course will fly like nothing.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Board Regular

Online classes are the way to go then. I have been doing them on and off since 05,less recently and i really love them.Try them,maybe they can work out for you.They can be a little expensive, but i think this is the way to go.Once the produce season is out,fall or winter time i plan on stain home and getting back to school full time,online off course.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00m View Post
Online classes are the way to go then. I have been doing them on and off since 05,less recently and i really love them.Try them,maybe they can work out for you.They can be a little expensive, but i think this is the way to go.Once the produce season is out,fall or winter time i plan on stain home and getting back to school full time,online off course.
I've been trying college off and on since graduating high-school back in '01.
The full-term, 16-18 week classes were always the ones I seemed to do bad in, but then you also had to factor in the instructor and the tests being offered.

After some experimentation, I found the 6-8 week short-term classes to be much better.
Since the tests were being given every week and were multiple choice, the knowledge was still fresh in my head.
Then I also noticed the fact that there were less, "kids" in these classes and people that were actually older and/or working.
Another thing that has also helped were taking classes at night.

Sadly though, with all the budget cuts going on, I'm starting to see less of these and more "day-time/full-term" stuff being catered to the 17-20 year old crowd.
All clogging up the main, general ed courses in order to get to the "popular", California schools.

Oh, and I did try online and it was kind of a bust for me.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I've been trying college off and on since graduating high-school back in '01.
The full-term, 16-18 week classes were always the ones I seemed to do bad in, but then you also had to factor in the instructor and the tests being offered.

After some experimentation, I found the 6-8 week short-term classes to be much better.
Since the tests were being given every week and were multiple choice, the knowledge was still fresh in my head.
Then I also noticed the fact that there were less, "kids" in these classes and people that were actually older and/or working.
Another thing that has also helped were taking classes at night.

Sadly though, with all the budget cuts going on, I'm starting to see less of these and more "day-time/full-term" stuff being catered to the 17-20 year old crowd.
All clogging up the main, general ed courses in order to get to the "popular", California schools.

Oh, and I did try online and it was kind of a bust for me.
dude, use the opportunity to scope some snatch. jr. college/college is good for that. you've got age and "experience" and those chicks will love you for it. just fizzuck and chuck them after you got what you wanted from them. make sure they're of legal age, though. :thumbsup:
Old 06-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
dude, use the opportunity to scope some snatch. jr. college/college is good for that. you've got age and "experience" and those chicks will love you for it. just fizzuck and chuck them after you got what you wanted from them. make sure they're of legal age, though. :thumbsup:
Maybe yourself, but I tend to come off more as that "creepy guy" with the NRA sticker on his mountain bike.

Yeah, I don't and choose not to own a car as well.